GDT: Locker Clean Out Day

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
How many meltdowns did Fleury have during his tenure as a Penguin? Too many to count

Murray on the other hand? 2 cup wins in his first 2 years.

I'm happy with how it all played out, personally. Fleury should have been riding the pine a long time ago and maybe this team would have won another 1-2 cups. It's no coincidence that the Pens started winning once he started sitting on the bench. Better late than never though

Pens fans overvalued Fleury... there's a reason why the Pens had to give up a 2nd rounder just to get his contract off the books

You can do your normal cassius panic, but you can't change the past. I wanted MAF gone in 2013. But guess what, cassius, you can't change what he did. And what he did was flat out awesome in 2017. He owned that Caps series. We don't win w/o MAF. Period.

I don't know why you want to change history... but you can't.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
You can do your normal cassius panic, but you can't change the past. I wanted MAF gone in 2013. But guess what, cassius, you can't change what he did. And what he did was flat out awesome in 2017. He owned that Caps series. We don't win w/o MAF. Period.

I don't know why you want to change history... but you can't.
I respect your opinion and fondness of Fleury as a person, but with all do respect - he simply was just never a really good player when it came down to crunch time. The statistics certainly agree with me there too.

Case in point, he had a pretty disastrous cup final last year vs. Washington if I recall and his playoff stats are among the worst in the modern NHL.

Nice guy? Absolutely.
A guy you want in net during big playoff games? Absolutely not

Agree to disagree. I'll move on... but the point I was trying to make is that you need to be proactive about moving players before their value depreciates even further. In Hornqvist's case, we might get $0.75 on the $1.00 right now in a trade, which would be fine. However, if the Pens wait too long to deal him and he continues his decline... it might be $0.10 or $0.20 on the $1.00.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
:biglaugh: You act like i'm a MAF fan because his personality. Dude you are ignoring the obvious but I really don't care because you have been so laughably wrong so many times what is another one?

He is the reason we beat Washington in 2017. There is no taking that away from him. Is what it is.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Confirmed Trade: - [VGK/PIT] '20 2nd to select Marc-Andre Fleury

A trade happened: Vegas got Fleury - Penguins gave up a 2nd round pick

Pretty straight forward
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this forum. You are smarter than that. You know we wouldn't have had to give up a pick to move Fleury if there wasn't an expansion draft. He was clearly a respected goalie around the league, and was coming off a ridiculously good playoffs carrying us through the Caps.

Reactions: Jacob

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I respect your opinion and fondness of Fleury as a person, but with all do respect - he simply was just never a really good player when it came down to crunch time. The statistics certainly agree with me there too.

Case in point, he had a pretty disastrous cup final last year vs. Washington if I recall and his playoff stats are among the worst in the modern NHL.

Nice guy? Absolutely.
A guy you want in net during big playoff games? Absolutely not

Agree to disagree. I'll move on... but the point I was trying to make is that you need to be proactive about moving players before their value depreciates even further. In Hornqvist's case, we might get $0.75 on the $1.00 right now in a trade, which would be fine. However, if the Pens wait too long to deal him and he continues his decline... it might be $0.10 or $0.20 on the $1.00.

You might want to look at the Pens stats for certain periods and notice that it's a team game, Fleury did have a bad period of time, but so did Sid, Geno, Letang, Kunitz and a few others. If you want to talk about meltdowns.

You know who still melts down and Fleury isn't even around? Hornqvist, Letang, Sid and Geno.

What's the excuse now?

Meltdowns don't just manifest from one player when things go wrong. We've seen the Pens make other goalies meltdown, the supposed best in the league. Top players from other teams meltdown.

Last I checked, or I should say remember, Fleury has been to 5 finals. Yeah, he must be the worst. What a travesty..,. I'm sure he's hearing your cries with three rings in his ears. You can tell me who has more since he came in the league at his position.

Nobody ever said he was the best, but he certainly is not the worst.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this forum. You are smarter than that. You know we wouldn't have had to give up a pick to move Fleury if there wasn't an expansion draft. He was clearly a respected goalie around the league, and was coming off a ridiculously good playoffs carrying us through the Caps.

I don't know man... in like December 2015, he posted about 10 threads saying JR needed to leave as we went back to back. Semi-disappeared and waited for things to go bad again. It's cyclical. Some people can fall flat on their faces so many times and still try to defend their point. :laugh:

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't know man... in like December 2015, he posted about 10 threads saying JR needed to leave as we went back to back. Semi-disappeared and waited for things to go bad again. It's cyclical. Some people can fall flat on their faces so many times and still try to defend their point. :laugh:
who is the bigger cynic, the one who thinks people are dumb or the one who thinks people are trolling?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I feel like Hornqvist probably has pretty mediocre/bad ES number the last two years, in general. But I don't have the numbers in front of me.

I've said a few times in the past that whatever Crosby's reasons are, I understand. Hornqvist seems like he'd be quite a challenge to play with, as a skilled center.
21 and 24 points

CascadiaPenguin

Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
You might want to look at the Pens stats for certain periods and notice that it's a team game, Fleury did have a bad period of time, but so did Sid, Geno, Letang, Kunitz and a few others. If you want to talk about meltdowns.

You know who still melts down and Fleury isn't even around? Hornqvist, Letang, Sid and Geno.

What's the excuse now?

Meltdowns don't just manifest from one player when things go wrong. We've seen the Pens make other goalies meltdown, the supposed best in the league. Top players from other teams meltdown.

Last I checked, or I should say remember, Fleury has been to 5 finals. Yeah, he must be the worst. What a travesty..,. I'm sure he's hearing your cries with three rings in his ears. You can tell me who has more since he came in the league at his position.

Nobody ever said he was the best, but he certainly is not the worst.
Didn't MAF just notch his fifteenth playoff shutout a couple nights ago, playing lights out against the Sharks? I'm pretty sure I don't understand the argument.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
who is the bigger cynic, the one who thinks people are dumb or the one who thinks people are trolling?

if it's between us it's who is the more annoyingly positive one.

giphy.gif

Reactions: NEPA and Ogrezilla

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
If you want to make personal attacks - that's cool (although it goes against the rules of this forum, which the mods are supposed to enforce) - your decision, however, we come here to discuss hockey. No?

I'll stick to discussing hockey since this is a hockey message board and all - right?

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If you want to make personal attacks - that's cool - your decision, however, we come here to discuss hockey. No?

I'll stick to discussing hockey since this is a hockey message board and all - right?
okay I'll stick the the hockey. You are completely wrong about Fleury and his trade value when he left here. The expansion draft had everything to do with how that trade went down. He's a very good goalie who had a few really bad playoffs. He'd also had a few good playoffs in a row before he went to Vegas, including being the best player on the ice through two rounds of the playoffs the year we moved him. We don't get out of round 2 without him and the Caps would likely be the team with back to back Cups right now, going for their 3rd.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
there's a reason why the Pens had to give up a 2nd rounder just to get his contract off the books

For once in my life, I don't want to get into a Fleury/Murray debate. I do want to point out, though, that there was a particular reason why the Penguins sent Vegas the second rounder. If I remember correctly, Columbus had a strong interest in Bryan Rust, and there was speculation that VGK would select Rust so he could be flipped to Columbus for picks. The Penguins obviously didn't want that, so they sent the 2nd rounder to Vegas to be sure they'd pick him.

So yes, they did have to give up a 2nd to get rid of Fleury, but not for the reason you'd think.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Shero doubled down on stupid in the summer of 2013 and it lost him his job.

Will JR follow the same path? I’m trying to have confidence in him, but after yesterday that’s probably gone. He doesn’t seem to understand what the issues are and wants to be confrontational about it when called out for his self-sabotage.

All worrying signs...
I still think he hit on the most glaring problem that some guys have become too comfortable (probably all of them honestly).

I think the turchiary issues are being ignored and potentially could be a problem.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
So why are they employing ZAR, Gudbranson, and Jack Johnson?
This is not the reason we failed. Our stars are the reason we failed. This board spends 90% of the time talking about somewhat irrelevant things. This team goes as 87, 71, 58, 30, 81, 72, and 59 go. Look no farther than those guys to see the fail.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This is not the reason we failed. Our stars are the reason we failed. This board spends 90% of the time talking about somewhat irrelevant things. This team goes as 87, 71, 58, 30, 81, 72, and 59 go. Look no farther than those guys to see the fail.
thomas-had-never-seen-such-a-mess-37652469.png

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Uh and he had a major hand in the Cbus series (1st round) too

Yep. I think in game 1 of that series we were out shot like 16-3 in the first period but came out of it 0-0/ Ended up winning 3-1.

Even in the Sens series he played well. game 3 was just an overall bad game from the entire team not just Fleury.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
:biglaugh: You act like i'm a MAF fan because his personality. Dude you are ignoring the obvious but I really don't care because you have been so laughably wrong so many times what is another one?

He is the reason we beat Washington in 2017. There is no taking that away from him. Is what it is.

While I respect what MAF did in 2017 he also had bad games against the Caps to get that series back to 3-3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad