Locker Clean Out Day

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
So many players point to special teams as an area they need to improve. I wonder if they lack faith in their special teams coaches. That's something that needs to be addressed. Maybe hiring a third assistant is necessary.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
GM Cheveldayoff's end of season presser topics: Biggest priority for Jets this off season. Bringing Kyle Connor into the fold. The way Kyle Connor announced his signing. Describing Kyle Connor’s ELC. Why should fans have faith in the Jets plan? Was he told how much to spend this year or was that his call? Is Jaime Phillips under consideration for a contract? Any level of concern with the youth being exposed to a losing environment with the Jets and Moose. Did he expect this team to be a playoff team this season? Does he need more veteran talent to balance the youth? Does he get the feeling that the young guys realize how many spots are available next season? His thoughts on the current draft lottery model? The team’s coaching staff and a potential deficiency on special teams. Season that Tucker Poolman had with UND and what may happen in the future?

To listen click here.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Don't feel like watching the Pavelec one since it always seems he takes no responsibility, did he mention anything about how HE needs to be better?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maurice said they would break camp next season with the best players regardless of age. I certainly hope that he follows through on that. That to me means that Thor, Stuart and Pavs should be on notice. I will be watching pretty closely to see how it plays out.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What a coincidence that Chevy signs Connor on the same day as his end-of-a-disastrous-season presser!

Better than signing Stu at the deadline, though, so I'm not complaining too much... :laugh:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
What a coincidence that Chevy signs Connor on the same day as his end-of-a-disastrous-season presser!

Better than signing Stu at the deadline, though, so I'm not complaining too much... :laugh:

Chevy likes to make lemonade from lemons, he does it every year. He tries the recency effect big time.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
GM Cheveldayoff's end of season presser topics: Biggest priority for Jets this off season. Bringing Kyle Connor into the fold. The way Kyle Connor announced his signing. Describing Kyle Connor’s ELC. Why should fans have faith in the Jets plan? Was he told how much to spend this year or was that his call? Is Jaime Phillips under consideration for a contract? Any level of concern with the youth being exposed to a losing environment with the Jets and Moose. Did he expect this team to be a playoff team this season? Does he need more veteran talent to balance the youth? Does he get the feeling that the young guys realize how many spots are available next season? His thoughts on the current draft lottery model? The team’s coaching staff and a potential deficiency on special teams. Season that Tucker Poolman had with UND and what may happen in the future?

To listen click here.

Man, someone asked Chevy a simple question in this interview something like "Was he told to spend less this summer?" and he went on this long soliloquy, pontificating on how salary cap affects the Jets and other teams yet not giving a simple yes or no answer and ending it with "Did I answer your question?" :laugh:

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Man, someone asked Chevy a simple question in this interview something like "Was he told to spend less this summer?" and he went on this long soliloquy, pontificating on how salary cap affects the Jets and other teams yet not giving a simple yes or no answer and ending it with "Did I answer your question?" :laugh:

Gave me a good laugh. As part of his answer he did say that there was no figure that he was held to spending.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

It's called

distraction.jpg

Don't look at the mess over there, look at the shinny new bobble I have here.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Pavs is a bad goalie, but his numbers last year were good enough. It was an aberration but goaltending was not a drag last season, especially when you adjust save% for pk time.

Can you convince me otherwise?

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Gave me a good laugh. As part of his answer he did say that there was no figure that he was held to spending.

That's good to hear. I must have missed it as part of all the words being thrown at me to answer a simple question

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
That's good to hear. I must have missed it as part of all the words being thrown at me to answer a simple question

Hahah I hear ya, it was tough listening to that answer but I wanted to see if there was an actual nugget of information contained within. He basically said that they evaluate all spending situations internally and see how it affects their future projections. They would then make a decision based on this evaluation, but there are no hard spending restrictions in place.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Pavs is a bad goalie, but his numbers last year were good enough. It was an aberration but goaltending was not a drag last season, especially when you adjust save% for pk time.

Can you convince me otherwise?

lol. Last year. Huge :shakehead

You can just as accurately say we won last year with Hutch in net. If it hadn't been for his performance in the first half while Pav was being his usual self we'd have been too far out for any late season goalie hot streak to have helped us. Yeah, Pav got hot for a month last year. Awesome. Let's use that as the barometer of his goaltending abilities rather than the rest of the previous 5 seasons.

The fact that goaltending was "not a drag" last season and voila we made the playoffs is an INDICTMENT of Pavelec, not some sort of wonderful success story for him.

Last edited:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Maurice said they would break camp next season with the best players regardless of age. I certainly hope that he follows through on that. That to me means that Thor, Stuart and Pavs should be on notice. I will be watching pretty closely to see how it plays out.

But didn't he already state Thorburn would be playing? :dunno: .. or am I confused/wrong?

If what Maurice said is true, the top 12 forwards "should" be some form of,

Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Little, Perreault, Stafford, Connor, Armia, Dano, Burmistrov, Lowry, Copp, Petan, etc.

Thorburn isn't in that mix, and everyone knows it.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Dano/Stafford
Connor - Petan - Dano/Stafford
Lowry - Copp - Armia/Burmistrov

Connor - Little - Stafford
Petan - Perreault - Dano

Is what I would like to see, give or take. I actually really like this mix we've got for next year and beyond. I am pretty excited to watch this group mature and see what they can do. Especially when you consider our goaltending woes may finally be solved (Hellebuyck), and we should be seeing Morrissey break in on the back end.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But didn't he already state Thorburn would be playing? :dunno: .. or am I confused/wrong?

If what Maurice said is true, the top 12 forwards "should" be some form of,

Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Little, Perreault, Stafford, Connor, Armia, Dano, Burmistrov, Lowry, Copp, Petan, etc.

Thorburn isn't in that mix, and everyone knows it.

Perreault - Little - Dano/Stafford
Connor - Petan - Dano/Stafford

Is what I would like to see, give or take.

I could be wrong, but I think that quote was from last offseason as it referenced him being a healthy scratch the year prior. To my recollection he wasn't scratched this past season. But once again I'll believe it when I see it.

Your lineup is what I'd like to see as well. Our 2-4 RW can battle it out for the positions.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I could be wrong, but I think that quote was from last offseason as it referenced him being a healthy scratch the year prior. To my recollection he wasn't scratched this past season. But once again I'll believe it when I see it.

Your lineup is what I'd like to see as well. Our 2-4 RW can battle it out for the positions.

ah, ok. I was thinking that in my mind as well (about it being from last year).

I really like the look of things, to be honest. And when you factor in the addition of a top pick in this years draft that makes it even more exciting given in a year or two we could be adding another real nice young player (perhaps one of Dubois, Tkachuk, etc) to the NHL roster..

I had some points during the season where I was pretty bummed with where we were, but at the end of the day when the dust settles I am pretty excited. I've posted before how I believe it can take an organization 5-6-7 drafts and 6-8, maybe even 9 seasons before a true core is drafted, developed and matured enough to be a legit playoff team/contender in the NHL (see; Pittsbugh, Chicago, LA). And given we're fast approaching those marks since the relocation (this 2016 draft is our 6th), and given how this roster and system is shaping up, it excites me. At the end of the day there isn't one or two defined and/or guaranteed ways to build a playoff team and contender. TNSE, Chipman, Chevy, etc arrived in May 2011 with this team and come hell or high water were doing things their way and in my opinion it was essentially a clean slate from day 1. It was going to be draft and develop and decisions would be made along the way. Yes we had some poor years and questionable decisions made along the way but those happen everywhere, every team, every build, etc. They happened in LA too, just in different ways. There were times when I questioned things and times where I questioned where we were and where we were headed. However, if we can form a legitimate core group here out of 6-7 drafts and see legitimate progress made by the group in the next couple seasons, it should set us up for years to come much like it has for Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago. Ideally.

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Which goes against everything Maurice said the first two seasons he was here when he kept saying development was what the AHL was for!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Which goes against everything Maurice said the first two seasons he was here when he kept saying development was what the AHL was for!

Ahh, but now most of the young guys who got a trial this year and will be pushing for spots will have had AHL seasoning.

Armia, Lipon 3 years in the AHL
Kosmo and Helle 2 years in the AHL
Morrissey Petan Dano half to 1 year in the AHL.

So he's not really going back on his prior comments as moat of the kids will now have pro seasoning.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
lol. Last year. Huge :shakehead

You can just as accurately say we won last year with Hutch in net. If it hadn't been for his performance in the first half while Pav was being his usual self we'd have been too far out for any late season goalie hot streak to have helped us. Yeah, Pav got hot for a month last year. Awesome. Let's use that as the barometer of his goaltending abilities rather than the rest of the previous 5 seasons.

The fact that goaltending was "not a drag" last season and voila we made the playoffs is an INDICTMENT of Pavelec, not some sort of wonderful success story for him.

Follow the thread, please. I said the opposite of what you are claiming. I said that last year was an aberration for Pavs. I said that Pavs is a bad goalie, but he had an uncharacteristically good stretch last year. He had a .920 save% last season in 50 games.

A poster said that the Jets made the playoffs last year "despite" Pavelec. Do you agree?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad