Locker Clean Out Day

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If the whole board is convinced these two are being misused & we're constantly struggling with taking too many penalties and an atrocious PP & PK, how is it that Maurice is still viewed as a pretty good coach by many?

I've been quite critical of Maurice's player usage in the past. Often the retort has been that he's being "forced" to play bad players by Chevy because of their contracts. I disagree. I think he's had a "blind spot" for players with grit, and it concerns me. I am hoping that he moves away from that somewhat archaic viewpoint. If not, I'm not sure he's the right coach for a team that will increasingly be built on speed and skill.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
If the whole board is convinced these two are being misused & we're constantly struggling with taking too many penalties and an atrocious PP & PK, how is it that Maurice is still viewed as a pretty good coach by many?

Because he's a much better coach than Noel, and several other current NHL coaches.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

:dunno:

Many parts of being a coach and someone can be bad in some areas but still good overall.

To use a player example: Byfuglien is not good defensively. In fact, he's probably bad (although not as bad as some think). He's still a net positive by a huge amount.

Not saying Maurice is the same as Buff, but explaining how someone can have their weaknesses and still be good.

I like AV as a coach, but he also over uses Girardi (higher paid Stuart) and Glass (Thorburn).

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
And Maurice is not alone in making those types of mistakes.

Babcock has shown similar blind spots for Kyle Quincey, Jonathan Ericsson, and more recently Roman Polak (though in the latter case, it may have been an asset management move, since a certain whiny GM subsequently paid quite handsomely for him).

Claude Julien's usage of Adam McQuaid was a least partially responsible for him getting some of the money that should have gone to Dougie Hamilton.

Quenneville has dressed Carcillo, Scuderi, and Desjardin (amongst others) over the last few years.

Show me a good or great coach and I'll write you a story of mis-cast veterans, over-reliance on grit or intangibles, and setting up players to fail either by their inability to fill the role their given or being surrounded by players who are unable to.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

That, I can't answer. I mean, can you? :laugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad