OT: LOCAL COVID19 - PART I... Seriously, local only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Did you catch Gupta on CNN this morning?

Even he is beginning to believe that the virus was from a lab. He added that it is becoming a more widely accepted scenario among scientists.

Biological/bacteriological warfare..we have had a bomb dropped on us.

Hiroshima ~ 80,000 dead, plus ~ 100,000 in cancers and other sicknesses..Nagasaki ~40,000 dead, plus ~ 50,000 in cancers.
grand total: ~ 250,000-300,000

Covid bomb ~ 20,000,000 if you correct for the crap that many nations are reporting. And who knows what the future holds... OOOHHHWAAAHHH.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Gotta say... that is one poorly written headline.

On the topic, my wife and I had a couple over for a few drinks on Saturday night and they talked about both the mental health issues that their 12 year old son is going through, and the fact that a 15 year old boy that is a mutual friend has recently been admitted to hospital due to (pretty severe) mental health issues.

Really hope the Ontario gov announces something either today or early tomorrow wrt the plan for reopening or not reopening schools. They need to make a decision and make it public ASAP; the uncertainty is driving many people insane.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020

On the topic, my wife and I had a couple over for a few drinks on Saturday night and they talked about both the mental health issues that their 12 year old son is going through, and the fact that a 15 year old boy that is a mutual friend has recently been admitted to hospital due to (pretty severe) mental health issues.

Really hope the Ontario gov announces something either today or early tomorrow wrt the plan for reopening or not reopening schools. They need to make a decision and make it public ASAP; the uncertainty is driving many people insane.
the 1919 pandemic, may have started in early 1918 and did not end until early 1920. Two years.

Why did we assume that this pandemic will last any shorter a period of time?

Had the government stood still long enough to do their analysis, they would have realized that the time frame from this in Canada will be January of 2020 to ~ December 2021. Planing should have been based on that. Communication with the people should have been based on that. and so forth. A greater sense of urgency should have been conveyed, a greater depth of problem should have been conveyed...

But we had piecemeal, we had hand waving, we had dithering and so on...I would go on, but the mods will kick in soon....

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

More and more of these types of articles will start trickling in as more data becomes available.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
More and more of these types of articles will start trickling in as more data becomes available.
This isn't new though. The reason that Alex Munter (CEO of CHEO) and Vera Etches were pushing for schools to be open for in person learning last September is because they were seeing the disturbing trend in children's mental health back then.

And that was when we had only been in this thing for 4 months.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Did you catch Gupta on CNN this morning?

Even he is beginning to believe that the virus was from a lab. He added that it is becoming a more widely accepted scenario among scientists.

Biological/bacteriological warfare..we have had a bomb dropped on us.

Hiroshima ~ 80,000 dead, plus ~ 100,000 in cancers and other sicknesses..Nagasaki ~40,000 dead, plus ~ 50,000 in cancers.
grand total: ~ 250,000-300,000

Covid bomb ~ 20,000,000 if you correct for the crap that many nations are reporting. And who knows what the future holds... OOOHHHWAAAHHH.
When I brought this up a year ago people referred to it as a conspiracy theory.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I would imagine people in Wuhan might get sick from COVID-19 since that is where it came from.

We already knew that the Chinese local government and then central government had covered this up for months potentially all the way back into October of 2019. So no, it does not surprise me that Wuhan residents including those who worked at a lab in that city would come down with a virus that originated in Wuhan.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This isn't new though. The reason that Alex Munter (CEO of CHEO) and Vera Etches were pushing for schools to be open for in person learning last September is because they were seeing the disturbing trend in children's mental health back then.

Definitely not new news. Just more prominent now in the news and not lost in the Covid 19 shuffle

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011

I think we did it "relatively" well in Quebec with regards to (at least primary) schools. For the weeks they were actually in school, each class would become a bubble. That class bubble is the only one the kids are interacting with all year long, recess, lunch, gym... At first only older kids were required to wear a mask but now kids wear it pretty much all the time now. The school also started providing them to everyone.

If a kid gets sick, there's mandatory testing and if a positive result is obtained, the whole class is shutdown until everyone gets tested. There have definitely been Covid cases in schools across the province, but these class bubbles have allowed them to prevent any major outbreak in a school and the kids have gotten to spend at least some time with their friends.

My daughter's in 4th grade, I can't imagine if she'd have to be doing school from home for the whole year. It would have been a wasted year IMO.

Reactions: DrEasy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
BREAKING NEWS: MAJOR GLOBAL PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS LEADS TO STRESS AND MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES

Yeah no shit -_-

I love how you think you are proving a point. Nobody denies that the social/mental health cost has been extraordinary...
What point am I trying to prove here? I am posting a link with some information in a thread about Covid in Ottawa.

Why are you getting all upset about it.

If anything you've helped prove a point that a lot people don't give a shit about these sort of issues because its deemed an convenience rather than an actual issue from your perspective.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What point am I trying to prove here? I am posting a link with some information in a thread about Covid in Ottawa.

Why are you getting all upset about it.

We all know you are part of the "lockdowns are bad/the economy matters more than health/this is not fair/covid is a hoax and so was 9/11" crowd so you don't get to act innocent.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Naive question: why does it matter if the virus came from a lab or from an animal? Does it change the way we prevent its spread, or the way we find a cure? I mean, of course if a country covers up a story like this it would have diplomatic/geopolitical consequences, but from a purely medical point of view, why should we care? It seems like the origin of the virus has become a political dividing line, and I just don't understand why.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
When I brought this up a year ago people referred to it as a conspiracy theory.

Naive question: why does it matter if the virus came from a lab or from an animal? Does it change the way we prevent its spread, or the way we find a cure? I mean, of course if a country covers up a story like this it would have diplomatic/geopolitical consequences, but from a purely medical point of view, why should we care? It seems like the origin of the virus has become a political dividing line, and I just don't understand why.

let me toss this log onto the fire:
take a look at death numbers among Asiatic nations, negligible. China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong...low death rate, in fact low infection rate.

Japan is a congested tiny area. Covid should have ripped through like wildfire.
Hong Kong..people live on top of each other..
China, 1.4 billion...India 1.4 billion...check out the numbers for one, versus the other. Even if China is lying by a factor of 10, they are way lower than India.
South Korea, 51 million people living in a nation no bigger than eastern Ontario..so about 50 times our population density. Their numbers are on par with eastern Ontario. How???

Do we have a problem here??????? Western nations were torn to shreds. Western nations that were not, took draconian measures. And there are only a small number of them that escaped this.

They say this jumped from a bat to humans..how the bleep did it spare Asiatics?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
take a look at death numbers among Asiatic nations, negligible. China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong...low death rate, in fact low infection rate.

China, 1.4 billion...India 1.4 billion...check out the numbers for one, versus the other. Even if China is lying by a factor of 10, they are way lower than India.
South Korea, 51 million people living in a nation no bigger than eastern Ontario..so about 50 times our population density. Their numbers are on par with eastern Ontario. How???

Do we have a problem here??????? Western nations were torn to shreds. Western nations that were not, took draconian measures. And there are only a small number of them that escaped this.

OK, but assuming you're right, how does this change the way doctors in Ottawa should handle the virus?

edit: added "in Ottawa" to make it a local COVID discussion. :D

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Asians make up 39% of the population in Hawaii and account for 50% of the deaths.. I get you are trying to connect dots but I would want to present a more complete picture going down this path

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011

It's almost like some cultures see wearing a mask as a common courtesy while in many others, it got turned into a political identity. Authoritarian governments that believe in science/Covid can effectively squash this virus with strong and extreme measures. They fully locked down and restricted travel to nearly 60 million people surrounding Wuhan last year, it's a good way to stop the spread. Unfortunately, this could never happen in our "free-r" society as people would never accept these types of measures.

Plus, I don't think anyone believes those are China's actual numbers since the start, I think we all remember those field hospitals being built in only a few days?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

It doesn't matter at all because in the end no one will sanction China even if it ends up being true that this all started because of a lab accident.

The reason fringe/lunatics/sociopaths have been pushing it so hard is because you have to remember that the political divide isn't so much right vs left but nihilism vs everything else.

The nihilists look for reasons to justify that they don't care about anything or anyone so they need a government to be behind covid (or 9/11): if turns out to be random then it shatters their entire worldview. If it is all chance/variance, the only way to not be swallowed whole is by caring about things and people but they do not want to care and will twist themselves into pretzels in order to feel justified.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It doesn't matter at all because in the end no one will sanction China even if it ends up being true that this all started because of a lab accident.

The reason fringe/lunatics/sociopaths have been pushing it so hard is because you have to remember that the political divide isn't so much right vs left but nihilism vs everything else.

The nihilists look for reasons to justify that they don't care about anything or anyone so they need a government to be behind covid (or 9/11): if turns out to be random then it shatters their entire worldview. If it is all chance/variance, the only way to not be swallowed whole is by caring about things and people but they do not want to care and will twist themselves into pretzels in order to feel justified.
What a stupid, stupid, stupid, comment.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

They took draconian measures. Asian nations took draconian measures and Western nations generally didn't; those that did made out better. And I'm not arguing in favour of draconian measures, but the correlation makes sense, it doesn't seem like much of a mystery.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Asian countries have had to deal with epidemics.

They know how to handle stuff like this.

We have to deal with the fact that our governments are more preoccupied with harming the feelings of our snowflakes/nutjobs/lunatics/sociopaths and the economy than with public health and leadership.

Asians are told "we are going to track you and you gotta go to a hotel for a few days" and they comply because they know that that is how you deal with epidemics.

Over here? "Muuuhhh freedumb! The guvnment wants to control me! I need my guns!"

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Asian countries have had to deal with epidemics.

They know how to handle stuff like this.

We have to deal with the fact that our governments are more preoccupied with harming the feelings of our snowflakes/nutjobs/lunatics/sociopaths and the economy than with public health and leadership.
I would have suggested you move to an Asian country but I doubt Asian countries would tolerate the amount of bitching you do ;)

Reactions: Stylizer1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad