OT: LOCAL COVID19 - PART I... Seriously, local only

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I guess it seems some people would prefer to be selfish and part of the problem instead of the solution.

Very dissapointing for those that work in health care like myself or those that have given up all their freedom by staying home and not seeing friends or family.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I guess it seems some people would prefer to be selfish and part of the problem instead of the solution.

Very dissapointing for those that work in health care like myself or those that have given up all their freedom by staying home and not seeing friends or family.

Makes you wonder what the fallout of all this is going to be in a few years.

Healthcare, LTC workers, retail, distribution chain workers, teachers, and mass transit workers....low pay, crazy hours, horrible conditions, sacrifice.....I have a feeling there is going to be one hell of a shortage of workers in all these fields in the future.

Reactions: xVolchenkov and DJB

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Makes you wonder what the fallout of all this is going to be in a few years.

Healthcare, LTC workers, retail, distribution chain workers, teachers, and mass transit workers....low pay, crazy hours, horrible conditions, sacrifice.....I have a feeling there is going to be one hell of a shortage of workers in all these fields in the future.

Interesting enough, nursing had one of its highest enrollment numbers in a long time the last year (Ontario also added 2000 spots for nursing students and they were filled). So people are going into nursing. And despite how bad this year's been, I'll pretty much always have a job and the pay is good. So I'm pretty thankful I'm an RN.

I cannot like this enough.

People whine about what they can't do and blame the government (who has been inept for the most part). But you want to know why we are still in this... Companies not working from home when they can, people going to parties when we shouldn't, companies not allowing their employees to stay home sick, companies not shutting down when small outbreaks happen, people lying to public health about where they have been and who they see, people who are sick going out anyways, people who've had close contacts ignoring quarantines, people who travel ignoring quarantines, people who are positive ignoring quarantines. If people would have just stopped and not been selfish for a small amount of time, then if they did get sick or traveled actually did not go anywhere. Our lives would be very different. Maybe we'd have short isolated lockdowns but they wouldn't be like what we are currently having now.

solidaritypucks

Oct 25, 2019
Putting the blame on the general public for our poor healthcare response is really scraping the bottom of the intellectual barrel. Canadians have sacrificed and changed behavior more in the name of the COVID-19 public health response than for any health crisis in generations.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Putting the blame on the general public for our poor healthcare response is really scraping the bottom of the intellectual barrel. Canadians have sacrificed and changed behavior more in the name of the COVID-19 public health response than for any health crisis in generations.
I mean Ford is essentially indirectly blaming the general public in every presser.

Shaming and blaming is the norm throughout and that stems from your government and has trickled down to the general public.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

There hasn't been a real health crisis in generations. And while some have sacrificed and changed their behaviour, many haven't or haven't changed it enough. There have been lots of selfish jerks who've ignored the rules.

solidaritypucks

Oct 25, 2019
There hasn't been a real health crisis in generations. And while some have sacrificed and changed their behaviour, many haven't or haven't changed it enough. There have been lots of selfish jerks who've ignored the rules.

The worst hit sector by far has been our long term care residents... by what logic is joe public to blame for their systemic decay and unpreparedness? It's also not Joe Public's job to have a pandemic response plan and inventory of supplies and capacity ready to go. I would posit those in leadership and decision making positions hold the lion share of the blame for our incompetent response rather than the powerless plebs who by and large obeyed the orders from on high. This is a province of around 15 Million individuals we are talking about.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The worst hit sector by far has been our long term care residents... by what logic is joe public to blame for their systemic decay and unpreparedness? It's also not Joe Public's job to have a pandemic response plan and inventory of supplies and capacity ready to go. I would posit those in leadership and decision making positions hold the lion share of the blame for our incompetent response rather than the powerless plebs who by and large obeyed the orders from on high. This is a province of around 15 Million individuals we are talking about.

How do you think COVID got into the long term care homes? In many cases it was from people who didn't follow the rules. I've witnessed numerous examples of family, friends, colleagues and neighbours who broke the rules. You have examples on here of people breaking the rules.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

There have certainly been a large number of mistakes made by public health officials and political leaders at all levels. I believe most of the mistakes have been related to poor and very inconsistent communication.... but there have also been some straight out policy mistakes as well.

But, for a specific example of personal responsibility and behaviour .... what is your opinion on @Sens decision not to get vaccinated because he doesn’t like the timelines for haircuts and gyms?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
How do you think COVID got into the long term care homes? In many cases it was from people who didn't follow the rules. I've witnessed numerous examples of family, friends, colleagues and neighbours who broke the rules. You have examples on here of people breaking the rules.
The government knew that LTC homes and the elderly are most vulnerable to the virus. They've known this early on. What did they do to help mitigate the issue?

Reports from the Canadian military documented porous conditions and deaths that were more than likely to be attributed to said conditions than of the virus itself.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Before we had vaccines I would have been on board calling people selfish and stupid for breaking rules. Now, with vaccines, there really is no risk. Covid is essentially going to be over in a month.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Before we had vaccines I would have been on board calling people selfish and stupid for breaking rules. Now, with vaccines, there really is no risk. Covid is essentially going to be over in a month.
Bad take. What about people who won't get the vaccine? Or the immunocompromised who can't? As long as the virus has a group it can live within, it can mutate and learn to adapt to the vaccine. It's why we've been talking about the need for boosters and third doses. Reduced risk of death? Sure, I'll give you that. But it won't be "essentially [...] over in a month." That's either disingenuous or demonstrates a lack of understanding.

Reactions: Masked

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Bad take. What about people who won't get the vaccine? Or the immunocompromised who can't? As long as the virus has a group it can live within, it can mutate and learn to adapt to the vaccine. It's why we've been talking about the need for boosters and third doses. Reduced risk of death? Sure, I'll give you that. But it won't be "essentially [...] over in a month." That's either disingenuous or demonstrates a lack of understanding.
If there is some actual reason you can’t get a vaccine then ok. But if you choose not to get a vaccine that’s on you, and I couldn’t care less what happens to you. The goal was never to eliminate covid entirely or never have cases or deaths. That’s naive and foolish thinking.

covid will be nothing different than the flu every year. It won’t be a big deal. Not everyone gets a flu vaccine.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
If there is some actual reason you can’t get a vaccine then ok. But if you choose not to get a vaccine that’s on you, and I couldn’t care less what happens to you. The goal was never to eliminate covid entirely or never have cases or deaths. That’s naive and foolish thinking.

covid will be nothing different than the flu every year. It won’t be a big deal. Not everyone gets a flu vaccine.
Yeah, there's still a lack of understanding. I'd agree if it was "make shitty choices, get shitty results." But when people choose not to get vaccinated, they give the virus a breeding ground through which it can mutate and potentially find a gap in the vaccine's efficacy. When people make bad decisions surrounding vaccines, they affect us all.

Reactions: Here I Pageau Again

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, there's still a lack of understanding. I'd agree if it was "make shitty choices, get shitty results." But when people choose not to get vaccinated, they give the virus a breeding ground through which it can mutate and potentially find a gap in the vaccine's efficacy. When people make bad decisions surrounding vaccines, they affect us all.
Ok, but if if ten people who have vaccines decide to have a party tonight, there’s virtually no impact on the community and I wouldn’t say they’re being selfish.

The US has less vaccinations then us and is seeing a huge decline in Covid.

you will always have people who don’t get vaccines. That doesn’t mean we should wait on opening up because of that. The most vulnerable people have been vaccinated and that should be all that matters

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Ok, but if if ten people who have vaccines decide to have a party tonight, there’s virtually no impact on the community and I wouldn’t say they’re being selfish.

you will always have people who don’t get vaccines. That doesn’t mean we should wait on opening up because of that. The most vulnerable people have been vaccinated and that should be all that matters
You're moving the goalposts. You said COVID will essentially be over in a month — that's the point I was disputing. None of this is relevant to that point.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Essentially over would be similar to the flu every season is what I meant
0c96c781a5e6260d0827848aec47d205.gif

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

You have ZERO idea what you are talking about.

I suggest you just stop

Emerica

May 29, 2010

Lol. The US have 38% fully vaccinated, we have 4%. We definitely dont have more vaccination than them.

I won't mention the rest of your bro-sciency post.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The government knew that LTC homes and the elderly are most vulnerable to the virus. They've known this early on. What did they do to help mitigate the issue?

Reports from the Canadian military documented porous conditions and deaths that were more than likely to be attributed to said conditions than of the virus itself.

Good luck getting people to vote for a political party that will raise taxes to give away freebies to seniors in LTC homes. We can't even get the "patriotic" Canadians to agree to spend more toward our homeless vets when the issue of government spending comes up.

It's way too easy to sit there and put all the blame on government. We voted them there, whether it's the libs federally or conservatives provincially.

Reactions: DrEasy

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Lol. The US have 38% fully vaccinated, we have 4%. We definitely dont have more vaccination than them.

I won't mention the rest of your bro-sciency post.
I wasn’t talking about fully vaccinated. That’s not that important. No country is waiting until everyone has double doses to open up. The most important metric is getting everyone possible with one dose.

evidence and data are showing countries are doing extremely well with the majority having one dose. UK,US, Germany, Israel are all showing this right now. Canada will be virtually fully open by July —August.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Why don’t you elaborate rather than say nothing at all?

Evidence and data are on my side. Canada is being far too risk averse

Dude I transport patients every day that I am at work to the hospital that are horribly sick with Covid and they have already been vaccinated. The hospitals are filled with sick Covid patients patients that have already been vaccinated. My fellow paramedics who are fully vaccinated are still getting sick.

Even those that are vaccinated, test positive but are asymptomatic can still infect others around them.

So to suggest that ten vaccinated people get together because it causes no risk to the community is completely misinformed and totally asinine.

Please show me the data which says that Canada is more vaccinated than the US currently.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Dude I transport patients every day that I am at work to the hospital that are horribly sick with Covid and they have already been vaccinated. The hospitals are filled with sick Covid patients patients that have already been vaccinated. My fellow paramedics who are fully vaccinated are still getting sick.

Even those that are vaccinated, test positive but are asymptomatic can still infect others around them.

So to suggest that ten vaccinated people get together because it causes no risk to the community is completely misinformed and totally asinine.

Please show me the data which says that Canada is more vaccinated than the US currently.
Canada has surpassed the US in first dose vaccinations.

Canada's first-dose vaccinations surpass U.S., as American daily rate declines

your anecdotes are not supported by data. No, getting the first dose doesn’t mean your chances of getting sick are zero, but the data around the world is proving that the majority getting the first dose is what matters most. Hospitalizations and deaths are already decreasing here. They are decreasing in all first world countries who have majority vaccinated. The majority of hospitalized Covid patients right now did not get a vaccine. There isn’t any data to suggest that hospitals are “filled” with sick Covid patients who got sick after being vaccinated

we will never not have some people getting sick or hospitalized. But it’s free mongering to suggest it will be a huge issue once our country surpasses 80% or so with a first dose. People being asymptomatic won’t be a problem because the chances of being hospitalized after getting a vaccine are low and the chances of dying are low. Their risk of transmitting to other people is also being considered low after most research done so far.

for the record I am still abiding by all rules myself. I just think it’s a joke that most businesses are not open right now. Especially patios where the risk is incredibly low. Just sucks for business owners. People who have been vaccinated should also have different rules than people who haven’t

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad