OT: LOCAL COVID19 - PART I... Seriously, local only

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I lost my brother in law and mom to covid. They had underlying health concerns however and were not vaxed.

I wish everyone all the best that we can beat and survive this.

Too many lives lost already. ☹️

That's horrible, so sorry to hear that.

Reactions: Yak

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I lost my brother in law and mom to covid. They had underlying health concerns however and were not vaxed.

Sorry to hear that, my condolences truly.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Sorry for your loss. Very tough to go thru that. Hang in there.

BradyTkachucky

Jul 31, 2005
Ottawa

My condolences Yak :(
I lost my cousin to COVID before vaccines were available, he was 42. May we see the end of this pandemic soon enough.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

That’s heart breaking

sending you lots of love

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Wow, that is a lot of pain to take on, my condolences

Reactions: Yak and aragorn

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Thank you :

In the 16 days of the vaccine being available to minors, the community center close by has been used as a vaccination site.

8 hours a day, 7 days a week and it has been busy. And for those 7 days a week now, a city worker, in florescent jacket has patrolled the area. He walks in the parking lot and guides people to the entrance way. I am not sure which of the branches he serves, I think the fire department, but there are things in my way that obstruct my view. I am not sure if it is the same individual. but 8 hours a day. In cold, rain, wind, and on foot.

He walks over to every new car that arrives. He ensures safe and orderly conduct. He must answer the same question 20 times an hour for the 8 hours.

dedication... There is a reason "I am Canadian" has meaning. It is no accident.

Thank you.

Ps. Mr. Mayor, Councilers, Mrs MPP, Mr MP: How about sending a Tim Hortons van around, once or twice a day. Offer them coffee and food.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Very very sorry for your loss, I wish you & your family our condolences.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Thank you :

In the 16 days of the vaccine being available to minors, the community center close by has been used as a vaccination site.

8 hours a day, 7 days a week and it has been busy. And for those 7 days a week now, a city worker, in florescent jacket has patrolled the area. He walks in the parking lot and guides people to the entrance way. I am not sure which of the branches he serves, I think the fire department, but there are things in my way that obstruct my view. I am not sure if it is the same individual. but 8 hours a day. In cold, rain, wind, and on foot.

He walks over to every new car that arrives. He ensures safe and orderly conduct. He must answer the same question 20 times an hour for the 8 hours.

dedication... There is a reason "I am Canadian" has meaning. It is no accident.

Thank you.

Ps. Mr. Mayor, Councilers, Mrs MPP, Mr MP: How about sending a Tim Hortons van around, once or twice a day. Offer them coffee and food.
Thanks for posting this, Beech. I'm reminded of a quote from Mr. Rogers here:
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world."

In the topsy-turvy world we're living in, it's easy to look at those who are not helping when it's their duty to do so — their silence is heard loud and clear. But those who have sacrificed time, energy and manpower to make this slightly easier for others are so due their recognition.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Incredibly sorry to hear this Yak. My condolences to you and your family.

Reactions: Yak and DJB

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Thanks for posting this, Beech. I'm reminded of a quote from Mr. Rogers here:

In the topsy-turvy world we're living in, it's easy to look at those who are not helping when it's their duty to do so — their silence is heard loud and clear. But those who have sacrificed time, energy and manpower to make this slightly easier for others are so due their recognition.
You seem to be in the know.
per worldometer. Nations like Austria have conducted 115 million tests. The UK ~ 380 million tests ..another dozen nations have tested in excess of 5 million tests per million residents.

At $150 per test. Each person owes from $750 to as much as $2500 (Denmark). How is this possible? We are talking economic ruin. Virtually impossible to recover from.

A family of 4 would owe ~ $10 K in Denmark. In Canada we owe ~ $750 per family...virtually unpayable.

If the net cost of covid is 4 x. A Danish family owes 40 grand. We owe 3 grand. Greece who is in economic ruin has its 4 person family owing ~ 10 grand. Impossible!!! Greece's debt has about 25 billion added to it. ours has 7.3 billion added. Denmark's added debt is virtually unpayable. ~ 52 billion.

are these numbers wrong. How are they sustainable?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
per worldometer. Nations like Austria have conducted 115 million tests. The UK ~ 380 million tests ..another dozen nations have tested in excess of 5 million tests per million residents.

At $150 per test. Each person owes from $750 to as much as $2500 (Denmark). How is this possible? We are talking economic ruin. Virtually impossible to recover from.

A family of 4 would owe ~ $10 K in Denmark. In Canada we owe ~ $750 per family...virtually unpayable.

If the net cost of covid is 4 x. A Danish family owes 40 grand. We owe 3 grand. Greece who is in economic ruin has its 4 person family owing ~ 10 grand. Impossible!!! Greece's debt has about 25 billion added to it. ours has 7.3 billion added. Denmark's added debt is virtually unpayable. ~ 52 billion.

Seems very convenient to the money lender.

Reactions: aragorn

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Well, a few factors I'd consider here:
1. Per Johns Hopkins University, there's a wide range of prices in the US — anywhere between $20 and $850 — to the consumer. Even if we take the median cost of $127, it's reasonable to assume the actual cost of manufacturing them and the advantage of buying in bulk probably means a lesser overall cost to any government. So your starting figure is a little uncertain.

2. Testing has likely caught cases that could've resulted in much worse community spread and economic impact than the cost of testing. This one is hard to quantify, of course, because you can't prove a negative. But statistically, and especially using the numbers you lay out, the odds seems likely.

3. For better or worse, until we get a lid on this, there's going to be some expense to mitigate/staff up/acquire testing materials/communicate with the population. The all-or-nothing alternative would be to give up trying to handle it altogether, and I don't know that anyone who is qualified to make that call is prepared to do that. But, is this spending being done responsibly? Are there bloat areas that could be cut or re-purposed? Fair questions that I don't think I'm informed enough to answer.

4. All the above being said, I think this snapshot in time is a perfect example of why countries ought to save up during the good times rather than rack up needless debt on vanity projects or programs that don't serve the greater good in some capacity. Countries entering this pandemic in debt — which, let's face it, was most of us — are going to have an infinitely steeper hill to climb when this is all over. A reduction in overall quality of living seems unavoidable at this point if we don't want to be servicing the debt forever.

That said, these are all the kind of high-level things that will need to be reckoned with. For now, the numbers are spiking in Ottawa because of the Omicron variant, which is a bit more pressing to me. By the time boosters become available, we'll be past the holiday season and probably staring another spike in the face. So with that context, especially as other cities across the world face similar resurgence, I say test away. Prevention over reaction every dang day of the week.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
1. Per Johns Hopkins University, there's a wide range of prices in the US — anywhere between $20 and $850 — to the consumer. Even if we take the median cost of $127, it's reasonable to assume the actual cost of manufacturing them and the advantage of buying in bulk probably means a lesser overall cost to any government. So your starting figure is a little uncertain.

2. Testing has likely caught cases that could've resulted in much worse community spread and economic impact than the cost of testing. This one is hard to quantify, of course, because you can't prove a negative. But statistically, and especially using the numbers you lay out, the odds seems likely.

3. For better or worse, until we get a lid on this, there's going to be some expense to mitigate/staff up/acquire testing materials/communicate with the population. The all-or-nothing alternative would be to give up trying to handle it altogether, and I don't know that anyone who is qualified to make that call is prepared to do that. But, is this spending being done responsibly? Are there bloat areas that could be cut or re-purposed? Fair questions that I don't think I'm informed enough to answer.

4. All the above being said, I think this snapshot in time is a perfect example of why countries ought to save up during the good times rather than rack up needless debt on vanity projects or programs that don't serve the greater good in some capacity. Countries entering this pandemic in debt — which, let's face it, was most of us — are going to have an infinitely steeper hill to climb when this is all over. A reduction in overall quality of living seems unavoidable at this point if we don't want to be servicing the debt forever.

That said, these are all the kind of high-level things that will need to be reckoned with. For now, the numbers are spiking in Ottawa because of the Omicron variant, which is a bit more pressing to me. By the time boosters become available, we'll be past the holiday season and probably staring another spike in the face. So with that context, especially as other cities across the world face similar resurgence, I say test away. Prevention over reaction every dang day of the week.

Totally agree on point 4, but it's hard to convince politicians when the incentives for a governing party are to get the most done in a 4ish year period. Unfortunately, near term campaign promises likely register more with the common voter as well who may not understand the long term repercussions of the loss of purchasing power from gov. spending.

Travel restrictions to come?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

If it makes you feel better, the average Canadian family pays about $39K in taxes and is only about 3 people on average. The US debt per capita is $81K. Man woman and child.

So $750 per family is a sweet fart on a very windy day. I lost more than that on the market today. Even a few thousand per person is nothing. Go look up the cost of childcare or university or hockey equipment. Certainly not economic ruin or virtually unpayable.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020

Canada has tested at ~ 1.3 million per million and has 1.85 million confirmed. What is the asympt. spread? we can never be sure.
The USA, the UK and many "heart of European" nations have tested at well over 2 million tests per million. Their infection rates are higher (total and % of population).

It isn't testing. It's targeted testing. It's a more comprehensive approach to tackling the problem.

The UK has been a catastrophe. almost 5,5 million tests per million residents. Yet ~ 11 million confirmed cases. An asympt. spread that may only be marginally lower than Canada's. And they have ~ 146 K deaths. Canada has ~30 K. their cost per lost life is probably 10 x higher than Canada's.

the costs are so insane, wow when the bill comes in. All those who are ready to book your all inclusive to Cuba in 2023 may want to rethink it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad