OT - NO POLITICS Local COVID-19 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Column: At ECMC, shaken doctor shares lessons from the 'Covid floor'

A doctor talks about his first day working in the ECMC's COVID-19 floor

Dr. Erik Jensen went to work Friday morning as an anesthesiologist in the everyday manner that he has followed for more than 20 years. He showered and threw on his clothes at his Orchard Park home, then said goodbye to his wife, Dorinda, their three sons and two dogs before driving to the Erie County Medical Center by the same route he always uses.

It was only when he returned that his family realized nothing was the same.

“My street clothes didn’t make it through the door,” Jensen said. He tore them off, threw them in the washer and ran for the shower in his boxers. Once he was finished, he stood in front of the mirror and shaved off a goatee he has worn for three decades, a change that now allows a protective mask to fit more snugly.

“These were the sickest patients I have ever cared for in 25 years of doing this medicine thing,” wrote Jensen, 49, a medical school graduate from the University at Buffalo who has spent his entire life in Western New York. “The whole floor was full of sick people and absolutely shell-shocked staff.”

I can’t put into words just how much I appreciate all the doctors and nurses on the front lines of this virus.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I don’t know that this type of mask will really prevent you from getting covid, but from what’s being said it can help you from spreading it to others (especially since there is evidence people are spreading it for days before they know they’re sick).

It seems really simple to do (just a few folds) and making one won’t take away masks from our healthcare workers and first responders.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
So sorry @truthbluth.

IIRC correctly, you previously posted when the onset happened a couple weeks ago. He was in the midwest US, (Wisconsin or Iowa?) right, not Maryland where you just discussed Hogan's lockdown. Sorry if I'm confused, and sorry if this is pestering.
Yeah you got it. He travelled to Wisconsin for work and started feeling sick just a few hours after he got there. Hebwas breifly hospitalized then sent back to his hotel room where he was starting to feel better before the virus attacked his lungs, about a week after her a first symptoms. At that point, March 14th I think, his wife flew out and he had been intubated in the ICU ever since. He died Sunday. He fought for two weeks. He was 49, and had no underlying medical conditions. There a GoFundMe. His wife quit her job 6 months ago because Chad's career was taking off, and she wanted to work on writing and art I think. He was a sensible guy and I'm sure he had term life, but she's still going to have a really hard time financially. I've been kind of anticipating this, but I'm still just floored.

Reactions: brian_griffin

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Update on the Toronto ban. It is for city permit related events. Will not apply to sporting events. Currently the province is limiting gatherings to five people other than essential services. Obviously with time the hope is conditions will improve and the five person limit will increase and eventually disappear.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Terrible tweet. The author did NOT in fact do a reversal. His estimates were based on no or little action being taken. His latest estimates are now revised based on the action that has been taken.

This person should not be trusted for disseminating information to so many people.

This gets back to the fact that these models and projections have so much uncertainty and the numbers will change widely based on the ever changing data and treatments and testing, etc.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
He made the selfish decision, as did the mom. But, as a father of three, I know it would be extremely hard to stay home and not be there for the birth of my child.

I guess the mom didn’t know until he told her afterwards? And that’s why I label it “dumb” and not “selfish”- I understand the impulse, but, Jesus, do we know the effects on newborns? Dude must not have even been thinking/taking it seriously.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I guess the mom didn’t know until he told her afterwards? And that’s why I label it “dumb” and not “selfish”- I understand the impulse, but, Jesus, do we know the effects on newborns? Dude must not have even been thinking/taking it seriously.

I doubt it since the article I read said that the mother started having COVID symptoms shortly after the birth and that is when they let the staff know that the father had both exposure and symptoms prior to going to the hospital.

It sure sounds like they both knew what was happening and were on board with being together over the common good.

And as far as exposing the child, they might have had the thought process that the mom probably had it, too. So, what is the big deal about the dad being there.

They obviously had a very flawed thought process and decision. But, I can understand how they got there.

And I am thankful that I never had to make a similar choice.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
He made the selfish decision, as did the mom. But, as a father of three, I know it would be extremely hard to stay home and not be there for the birth of my child.
Calling them selfish is an understatement. He put countless lives at risk. We were trying to preserve PPE here, so none of the doctors or nurses were wearing masks when taking care of these people, which I'm sure he noticed and neglected. PPE was strictly for those caring for rule outs or COVID+patients.

Those nurses and doctors were exposed to the virus, then went to other rooms to care for new mothers with weaker immune systems. There are a lot of nurses and doctors who are older or obese or have underlying health issues. They're all at risk now.

We all have to make sacrifices during these times. Some bigger than others, and the last thing any of us can be is selfish.

The only positive to come from this is every employee now has to wear a mask. It should've been that way from the start because people cant be trusted. That was our mistake, but it still doesnt excuse what this man did.

I have some choice words I'd like to use to describe how I view this man, but I'll keep them to myself.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Spoiler:Covid jumps to 3rd

The visualization would have been cooler if the numbers for all of the other causes of fatality were moving, but I am guessing those are nothing more than averages.

Regardless, re-enforces that it’s a problem.

Also, how is flu and pneumonia only 87 in a single month? That seems unprecedented even in the lightest imaginable flu year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The visualization would have been cooler if the numbers for all of the other causes of fatality were moving, but I am guessing those are nothing more than averages.

Yes they’re daily averages.

Covid vs US Daily Average Cause of Death.

Regardless, re-enforces that it’s a problem.
Yep

Also, how is flu and pneumonia only 87 in a single month? That seems unprecedented even in the lightest imaginable flu year.

Where are you getting 87 in single month from? Flu/pneumonia is listed as 153 daily. Which would be 4590 a month (30 days).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad