OT - NO POLITICS Local COVID-19 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
continued from OT: - Off Topic & COVID-19

This is a trying time for all of us no matter where you live.

Right now politics should be put aside. We all have government leaders at the Federal and State/Provincial levels telling us what we must do to get through this.

The primary purpose of this thread is to discuss and provide COVID-19 information of local interest

For more expansive discussion use COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak

Members who persist in dragging the topic into political talk will be banned from the thread.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If those are Op eds it would help to know who wrote them.

The key part of that WP article is the "for now".

The rapidly spreading virus has closed schools in Knoxville, Tenn., cut blood donations to dangerous levels in Cleveland and prompted limits on hospital visitors in Wilson, N.C. More ominously, it has infected as many as 26 million people in the United States in just four months, killing up to 25,000 so far. In other words, a difficult but not extraordinary flu season in the United States, the kind most people shrug off each winter or handle with rest, fluids and pain relievers if they contract the illness. But this year, a new coronavirus from China has focused attention on diseases that can sweep through an entire population, rattling the public despite the current magnitude of the threat.

If one stops at just the title, it may be misleading, but reading the story, it is taking this very seriously.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Excellent!

Hang in there Dubi.
I'm trying to be optimistic. I like Cuomo's response lately even if it is a bit late. He's taking serious measures, and seems to know what the hell he's talking about.

There's no doubt we arent close to the worst of this, but I'm hoping in 5-6 weeks we'll be improving dramatically. Hopefully by June we can start going back to our normal lives. I worry about NYC, tho, they're going to get hit so hard.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
This website is for all of NY state and is updated daily as new information/instructions come out

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

They also say that your community health dept. is your local contact for any covid-19 related concerns.
Here is the Erie County dept. of health contact info and website:
Erie County Department of Health

Phone: 716-858-6976
Fax: 716-858-8701
Disease Control/Zika Questions: Epidemiology: 716-858-7697

Erie county Website:
Erie County, NY Department of Health

Contact info for every county health department in NYS:

Contact Your County Health Office | NYSACHO

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
I’m wondering if my dad had the virus. He was working with people from NYC in late January, then got really sick for a few weeks, unbeknownst to me. He came out for my son’s birthday mid February and was still sick, but not as bad (according to him). He had a sore throat, persistent dry coughing and tightness in his chest, an on and off again fever, and was just dead tired. He got swabbed twice for flu, twice negative. I had no idea he was that sick until a few days ago.

So based on that, I’d say there was a chance he had it. But on the other hand, my mom didn’t get sick. And after he came over for my son’s birthday, he, my daughter, and my wife all got sick with regular cold symptoms, so i figured it was yet another random daycare plague. They weren’t nearly as sick as my dad was. So I dunno.

Anyways, this all came up because I’m probably gonna get locked in at work soon, and they’re asking us if we had contact with anyone with the virus. I guess it’s possible he had it but idk. I didn’t get sick fwiw. I probably won’t mention it to my supervisor. I know one of my coworkers (who I rarely see) tested positive on Friday. So they’re scrambling at the moment.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I’m wondering if my dad had the virus. He was working with people from NYC in late January, then got really sick for a few weeks, unbeknownst to me. He came out for my son’s birthday mid February and was still sick, but not as bad (according to him). He had a sore throat, persistent dry coughing and tightness in his chest, an on and off again fever, and was just dead tired. He got swabbed twice for flu, twice negative. I had no idea he was that sick until a few days ago.

So based on that, I’d say there was a chance he had it. But on the other hand, my mom didn’t get sick. And after he came over for my son’s birthday, he, my daughter, and my wife all got sick with regular cold symptoms, so i figured it was yet another random daycare plague. They weren’t nearly as sick as my dad was. So I dunno.

Anyways, this all came up because I’m probably gonna get locked in at work soon, and they’re asking us if we had contact with anyone with the virus. I guess it’s possible he had it but idk. I didn’t get sick fwiw. I probably won’t mention it to my supervisor. I know one of my coworkers (who I rarely see) tested positive on Friday. So they’re scrambling at the moment.

A lot of people are wondering if their respiratory bug from earlier this year was this, or something else.

My wife came down with a bug on January 3rd and she had a bad cough for most of the month. Her PCP felt like it might be the flu. But, my wife tested negative for Influenza A & B three times (2 rapid tests and one longer test).

They left it as a "flu-like virus" which could have been this or some other "flu-like virus".

:dunno:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
A lot of people are wondering if their respiratory bug from earlier this year was this, or something else.

My wife came down with a bug on January 3rd and she had a bad cough for most of the month. Her PCP felt like it might be the flu. But, my wife tested negative for Influenza A & B three times (2 rapid tests and one longer test).

They left it as a "flu-like virus" which could have been this or some other "flu-like virus".

:dunno:
I think if covid-19 had been here, there would have been more stories about mass hospitalizations for pneumonia

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
New York City/State still by in large doing nothing about the jail population issue. This is going to be the heart of the NYC outbreak, it's so obvious to anyone paying attention. Real soon we're going to start seeing thousands of infected and hundreds dead. Great article about it here: If Coronavirus Deaths Start Piling Up in Rikers Island Jails, We’ll Know Who To Blame
I 100% agree with this article. They should do what it’s saying IMO.

But I can also imagine the newspaper headlines & likely public outrage if they did it (not that it should stop them from doing what is right to save lives).

All these jails (not just Rikers) have seemed like an obvious place that an outbreak could devastate for a while. There have been calls by some to release low level offenders nation wide. But I can’t see it actually happening. Not before a tragedy strikes at one of these jails that forces them to consider it.

Instead I’ve seen mention of holding offenders waiting for trial dates indefinitely.

(Edit: I don’t think this is political, but if it is, or if this conversation doesn’t belong in this thread please feel free to remove/delete it or tell me and I will).

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I 100% agree with this article. They should do what it’s saying IMO.

But I can also imagine the newspaper headlines & likely public outrage if they did it (not that it should stop them from doing what is right to save lives).

All these jails (not just Rikers) have seemed like an obvious place that an outbreak could devastate for a while. There have been calls by some to release low level offenders nation wide. But I can’t see it actually happening. Not before a tragedy strikes at one of these jails that forces them to consider it.

Instead I’ve seen mention of holding offenders waiting for trial dates indefinitely.

(Edit: I don’t think this is political, but if it is, or if this conversation doesn’t belong in this thread please feel free to remove/delete it or tell me and I will).
Yeah, the last bit is terrifying.

Steering this away form the politics, I'll just give some personal anecdote. I'm a public defender. There's emails firing around my office today about people calling their attorneys crying hysterically about the conditions. It sounds downright scary.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Brother in law got fired from his job of 6 years. My wife got laid off this morning by email with no idea it was coming. Shes been with the company for 7 years. This virus is going to have effects on this country for decades.

Reactions: joshjull

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Brother in law got fired from his job of 6 years. My wife got laid off this morning by email with no idea it was coming. Shes been with the company for 7 years. This virus is going to have effects on this country for decades.

awful. Fingers crossed you are wrong and the rebound will be much quicker (we can hope)

Reactions: EichHart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad