OT - NO POLITICS Local COVID-19 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
The US per capita cost of health care is double that of Canada and significantly higher than most countries. I am gobsmacked that a country as advanced, as rich, finds itself with the death rates attributed to this virus. It may well be that some other first world countries are fudging numbers but there is no sign of it. Once the virus catches hold in third world countries with their lack of American wealth and know how I shudder at the death estimates.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The US per capita cost of health care is double that of Canada and significantly higher than most countries. I am gobsmacked that a country as advanced, as rich, finds itself with the death rates attributed to this virus. It may well be that some other first world countries are fudging numbers but there is no sign of it. Once the virus catches hold in third world counties with their lack of American wealth and know how I shudder at the death estimates.

Age distribution of the population and the percentage of people with underlying issues are factors that wealth of a nation either don't help, or actually make worse.

One of the theories around why Italy has been hit so hard is that they are one of the older countries in the world.

The US is one of the worst countries in the world when talking about chronic disease. The fact that we are so wealthy contributes to that and it doesn't help.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Thanks a lot for passing this along. Good visual data predictions are annoyingly (and surprisingly) difficult to find. As time goes on, I am guessing this information should become more public and accessible.

edit: and even though I had some posts deleted earlier (I’m a little confused as I was having a perfectly civil conversation with another poster that I didn’t think was political), i appreciate a lot of you engaging with a division rival fan ;)

Reactions: joshjull

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
A lot of my lawyer friends who work at large civil firms are getting substantial hours and pay cuts ranging from 25% to 50%. This is impacting everyone it seems.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
A lot of my lawyer friends who work at large civil firms are getting substantial hours and pay cuts ranging from 25% to 50%. This is impacting everyone it seems.
Oh yeah. The big corporate firms are tied majorly to the stock market. They got hit real bad with the great recession, big layoffs and hardly hired anyone for years.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

“Dr. David Price of Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York City shares information in a Mar. 22 Zoom call with family and friends on empowering and protecting families during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Reactions: Chainshot

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Oh yeah. The big corporate firms are tied majorly to the stock market. They got hit real bad with the great recession, big layoffs and hardly hired anyone for years.
It sounds like they didn't learn a single f***ing thing. My wife graduated law School in 2011. In 2015, less than 50% of her graduating class were employed as lawyers.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It sounds like they didn't learn a single f***ing thing. My wife graduated law School in 2011. In 2015, less than 50% of her graduating class were employed as lawyers.
Yeah, part of it is about tempering expectations and going to law school for the right reasons. If your goal is just to make a shit load of money at a big corporate firm, let's just say there are other ways to do that without going to law school. And those ways don't involve the debt and risk the law school route has. If you want to be a lowly public servant like myself and don't mine a salary that only has five digits in it (oh the horror!), law school is a fine, safe route to take. I may not have been raking in 300 grand a year like my law school friends, but I also have zero concern about my job security now.

Reactions: cybresabre

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

Yea I have heard mixed stories so far. My firm hasn’t been impacted much which is great, and some of friends at large transactional firms are very busy and doing well.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Yeah, part of it is about tempering expectations and going to law school for the right reasons. If your goal is just to make a shit load of money at a big corporate firm, let's just say there are other ways to do that without going to law school. And those ways don't involve the debt and risk the law school route has. If you want to be a lowly public servant like myself and don't mine a salary that only has five digits in it (oh the horror!), law school is a fine, safe route to take. I may not have been raking in 300 grand a year like my law school friends, but I also have zero concern about my job security now.
In 2011, all my wife wanted was a minimal paying job at an NGO. What she encountered was a cascading effect where because the big firms were cutting, she was up against Ivy Leaguers while applying for 32k/yr jobs in DC. It was nuts. She did doc review for 6 years before landing a clerk gig at SEC. All she wanted to do was legal advocacy for refugees. Couldn't get a foot in the door.

Reactions: Husko

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Pleb

Edit: How would you recommend non-lawyers make 300k at a white shoe firm? Having a PhD in a high impact field sure, but once you take time value into account is that really much cheaper than law school? There might not even be as many slots for those as there are at YSH?

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Pleb

Edit: How would you recommend non-lawyers make 300k at a white shoe firm? Having a PhD in a high impact field sure, but once you take time value into account is that really much cheaper than law school? There might not even be as many slots for those as there are at YSH?

Go the tax law route and get your CPA!

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Pleb

I guess I more mean there's ways to make that kind of money in the corporate world without sinking a quarter to a half million dollars into a law degree.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
In 2011, all my wife wanted was a minimal paying job at an NGO. What she encountered was a cascading effect where because the big firms were cutting, she was up against Ivy Leaguers while applying for 32k/yr jobs in DC. It was nuts. She did doc review for 6 years before landing a clerk gig at SEC. All she wanted to do was legal advocacy for refugees. Couldn't get a foot in the door.
I guess it really depends on the field. In my work (public defender), someone from an Ivy League school that clearly was just doing this as a backup wouldn't interest us at all. And it's pretty easy to identify those people, because they didn't spend every waking minute oof law school interning at public defender offices (which almost anyone we hire did). On the other hand, I've heard some NGOs and impact litigation firms have more desire for the sort of corporate candidate with that arsenal of experiences, so I could definitely see how those markets get flooded. But on the whole I get what you mean about the cascading effect. Even right the last few years, while the job market was good for lawyers, we would get over 1000 applications every year for our entry level class, with anywhere from like 10-50 tops spots to fill. If all of a sudden a lot more people are looking for those jobs, it gets ugly.

Reactions: truthbluth

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Things are getting spicy here, yesterday 21 low income protestors were arrested. They're complaining that the lockdown prevents them from earning any money, the government has been slow with food relief, and the promised money is non-existant. Well food relief so far in other areas has been a kilo of rice, some noodle packs and 8 cans of sardines. The promised money is slated for a max of $150.

To exacerbate the situation Duterte gave a speech and said that cops / military should kill violaters if they feel threatened. In my area there's been an uptick in home invasions, but many of the ex-pats have been donating money to feed the indigent. A lot of the ex-pats don't have much money but someone living off $1500 a month appears rich to a population that averages under $500 per family.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Critically ill Covid-19 patients in WNY to start getting new experimental treatment
Critically ill Covid-19 patients at Buffalo hospitals will start receiving an experimental treatment involving an arthritis drug that showed promise bringing some patients back from the brink of death in China. The Food and Drug Administration Wednesday afternoon gave permission to researchers at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center and the University at Buffalo to help lead a clinical trial study of the drug, sarilumab, which they hope will prevent inflammation that chokes off breathing for those on ventilators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->