Liverpool up for sale

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
What's kinda dumb about that is they've basically been willing to sell a chunk for a while now.

Maybe they looked and didn't see anyone they wanted to sell to?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What's kinda dumb about that is they've basically been willing to sell a chunk for a while now.

Maybe they looked and didn't see anyone they wanted to sell to?
i think it’s more likely that the offers are too low for them

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The mantra is 'buy low, sell high'. Looking at the way the team has been trending for a while now, I'd say they may have missed that moment.
I honestly don’t think this is the issue. This is a very complicated operational. Chelsea wasn’t in any better shape /probably were in worse shape all things considered when they sold. FSG aren’t in a rush and are waiting for the offer that they want, for better or worse

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I honestly don’t think this is the issue. This is a very complicated operational. Chelsea wasn’t in any better shape /probably were in worse shape all things considered when they sold. FSG aren’t in a rush and are waiting for the offer that they want, for better or worse
FSG need a reality check. They don't provide any money on their own or in forn of loan to purchase players. New owner to the premier league will continue spending more. I fully expect Man City, Man United (with new owners), Newcastle and maybe Chelsea to spend massively in the summer.

The only other teams that they can compete with financially speaking are Arsenal and Tottenham and even then Arsenal and Tottenham are better positioned with new stadium and being located in London.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
FSG need a reality check. They don't provide any money on their own or in forn of loan to purchase players. New owner to the premier league will continue spending more. I fully expect Man City, Man United (with new owners), Newcastle and maybe Chelsea to spend massively in the summer.

The only other teams that they can compete with financially speaking are Arsenal and Tottenham and even then Arsenal and Tottenham are better positioned with new stadium and being located in London.
They are already getting outspent by the London teams.

LFC advantage was that they spent smartly, but all the people in charge of that are gone. Money may not even matter at this stage, but it will certainly help.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Players and what's on the roster does not matter in the sale.

CL does somewhat, but even that's not a complete given. Most owners are going to know that if they're not in the CL, they should be able to spend to get there again or the bonkers coefficient should hold them steady when it expands.

I don't think they're missing the valuation. I think they want to own a NFL / NBA team. That takes real cash and capital, which isn't something they actively have floating around. They're good for credit, not so flush with the liquid money. So I think push come to shove, they would happily take a cash injection, so they could turn and buy the other sports franchise they want. But if they can't do that, and someone wants the whole thing, they would do that as well.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Players and what's on the roster does not matter in the sale.

CL does somewhat, but even that's not a complete given. Most owners are going to know that if they're not in the CL, they should be able to spend to get there again or the bonkers coefficient should hold them steady when it expands.

I don't think they're missing the valuation. I think they want to own a NFL / NBA team. That takes real cash and capital, which isn't something they actively have floating around. They're good for credit, not so flush with the liquid money. So I think push come to shove, they would happily take a cash injection, so they could turn and buy the other sports franchise they want. But if they can't do that, and someone wants the whole thing, they would do that as well.
NFL and NBA franchise are way smarter investment right now. They control the cost meanwhile the premier league player cost is spiraling way beyond rational financial mean. The EPL on average are spending from 65% to 85% of their total revenue on players cost compared to 50% for NBA/NFL players. This would be great if they had plan to control that cost like they promised with FFP or with the now defunct Super leaue project but it's going on the opposite direction. While I believe the revenue growth potential are still immense the cost benefits is not like it was 10 years ago.
FSG made an amazing investment in 2011 but now it seems more than ever that the growth value of the franchise they had would probably slow down if not halt completely in a near future. More so without CL football and a very competitive landscape to stay relevant.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
NFL and NBA franchise are way smarter investment right now. They control the cost meanwhile the premier league player cost is spiraling way beyond rational financial mean. The EPL on average are spending from 65% to 85% of their total revenue on players cost compared to 50% for NBA/NFL players. This would be great if they had plan to control that cost like they promised with FFP or with the now defunct Super leaue project but it's going on the opposite direction. While I believe the revenue growth potential are still immense the cost benefits is not like it was 10 years ago.
FSG made an amazing investment in 2011 but now it seems more than ever that the growth value of the franchise they had would probably slow down if not halt completely in a near future. More so without CL football and a very competitive landscape to stay relevant.
Of course they're better investments. But.. they would likely be buying an expansion club, or not one of the premier teams out there.

I don't think the actual money / value that they get out of the club is completely tapped. I think as you see expanding rights deals in places like China, they will only continue to make revenue. We haven't even begun to see the revenue that's potentially coming from Africa, as they start to develop, and population expands. Nigeria is going to be the 3rd largest country population wise soon. The American attention to European soccer is also only expanding. As these things increase, revenues are going to continue to go up for everyone. As such, owning a prestige club, one of the five or six biggest in the world, is going to continue to be lucrative.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That takes real cash and capital, which isn't something they actively have floating around. They're good for credit, not so flush with the liquid money.
They could just borrow against the value of Liverpool (or the Red Sox/Penguins/Fenway/NESN/etc.) if they needed liquidity.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They could just borrow against the value of Liverpool (or the Red Sox/Penguins/Fenway/NESN/etc.) if they needed liquidity.
With what's happening to interest? Borrowing against their clubs really isn't their style. That's at least one plus.

I think they want to have the money upfront for the likely NBA expansion to Vegas / Seattle, and then get into NFL if something pops.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
With what's happening to interest? Borrowing against their clubs really isn't their style. That's at least one plus.

I think they want to have the money upfront for the likely NBA expansion to Vegas / Seattle, and then get into NFL if something pops.
Yeah, sure, but they'd ReFi if/when rates drop. Honestly, rates aren't even high enough yet where it makes complete sense not to borrow.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Admittedly, some of the spike was due to being in basically the finals for everything while not spending a ton last year.

They’re not poor. They’re cheap. It’s also why a person would pay stupid money for the club. They print money

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Admittedly, some of the spike was due to being in basically the finals for everything while not spending a ton last year.

They’re not poor. They’re cheap. It’s also why a person would pay stupid money for the club. They print money
I would say it's more like bad team planning and then being cheap.

They could have got so many decent midfielder at any point in the past 4 years and they disregarded it because the team was "performing". Now it's all the consequences of these negligences. I thought the 2020/2021 would have served as the cataclyst that the team needed investment with younger players when they barely made it in the CL but no... they have what they deserve (FSG) but at the sametime I am not sure they care at all.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
FSG are mad because they didn't sell coming off the CL and EPL wins, and are now just content to milk Liverpool for all they're worth until the market picks up again and some billionaire or another corporation wants to buy them as a vanity project.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
FSG are mad because they didn't sell coming off the CL and EPL wins, and are now just content to milk Liverpool for all they're worth until the market picks up again and some billionaire or another corporation wants to buy them as a vanity project.
Well to me it was obvious their ultimate plan was the Super League.
Without it they have no guaranteed revenues and they don't want to put money into the club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad