Liverpool up for sale

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Tbh, if you read their statement to the Athletic, it's not too much different than usual. They're willing to consider offers, will sell part, will potentially sell all, if the right bid came down the pipe.

I think some of this is due to the fact that they're not willing to invest what it takes to keep the club to the top, and there's no check on the spending of other ownership groups.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I know one specific LFC poster here will be extremely happy.

Let's see who they get sold to first.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Of course they are. Though in May, they came out and said they weren't looking to sell, and were in the long haul.

I do think they're willing to sell, but at their price.
Exactly. At their price.

If some crazy billionnaire on a power trip is willing to overpay, they will sell for sure. If they do not get their price, the asset will likely continue to appreciate so they are not in a rush.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Tbh, if you read their statement to the Athletic, it's not too much different than usual. They're willing to consider offers, will sell part, will potentially sell all, if the right bid came down the pipe.

I think some of this is due to the fact that they're not willing to invest what it takes to keep the club to the top, and there's no check on the spending of other ownership groups.
Why would they care what anyone else is spending whatsoever? They make more dialing spending back wherever they finish first or fourth.

They see an opportunity and are willing to explore it. Other clubs have little to do with it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Exactly. At their price.

If some crazy billionnaire on a power trip is willing to overpay, they will sell for sure. If they do not get their price, the asset will likely continue to appreciate so they are not in a rush.
They sold 11%just recently, likely at way lower than the value (when you consider what Chelsea went for... and they have meh revenues, along with a stadium boondoggle). So I wouldn't be shocked if they're looking to sell another chunk, while still keeping the top line. They did just buy a hockey club, so, it would make sense if they're spreading around some of the risk.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
They sold 11%just recently, likely at way lower than the value (when you consider what Chelsea went for... and they have meh revenues, along with a stadium boondoggle). So I wouldn't be shocked if they're looking to sell another chunk, while still keeping the top line. They did just buy a hockey club, so, it would make sense if they're spreading around some of the risk.
That also makes sense.

Maybe they need some cash for another purchase and want to liquify some assets. That would also make sense.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Why would they care what anyone else is spending whatsoever? They make more dialing spending back wherever they finish first or fourth.

They see an opportunity and are willing to explore it. Other clubs have little to do with it.

They care because they don't want to have to go out and light money on fire in the transfers. They like cost certainty. Even though MLB doesn't really have a cap, the tax does limit some of what MOST clubs would spend. Their concerns with Liverpool, and international football, and the entire reason they wanted to get into bed with a Super League is the idea of runaway costs, and then not being able to collect the tv / appearance premium.

Yeah, they're in the business of making money. But to them, their ability to make money is limited by oil wealth just lighting cash on fire.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'll go out and say that if they are selling, I am nervous on who they get.

FSG is not perfect by any stretch... but if it's oil money, Klopp is gone. I also wouldn't want anyone like Chelsea's ownership group.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
But yeah as I said, a lot comes down to if FSG had the appetite to keep up with what was needed. The answer is now clearly no; which is fine. This probably saw how the market exploded and decided this wasn’t for them. Anyway, a lot depends on who is next. I’m not sure they want to sell more than X% of shares, a lot remains to be seen here

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'll go out and say that if they are selling, I am nervous on who they get.

FSG is not perfect by any stretch... but if it's oil money, Klopp is gone. I also wouldn't want anyone like Chelsea's ownership group.
This is very dramatic. No reason at all to worry about this.

We can worry about this when we know who wants to buy, we know how imminent this is, and we know how much % of the club is being sold. Feels a long was to go here

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
This is very dramatic. No reason at all to worry about this.

We can worry about this when we know who wants to buy, we know how imminent this is, and we know how much % of the club is being sold. Feels a long was to go here

Yes it is a big thing to worry about.

I know which camp you're in. That's fine. But I also remember that I've had the pleasure to watch what was clearly the best side to ever play for this historic, legendary football club, and I've gotten to see them regularly win, and win every trophy there is to win. All the while doing it without having to steal the future of some 3rd world country or parade around some cousin of a Sheik to do it.

I also don't have that short of a memory to where I can recall past awful owners.

For all the warts FSG have, and there are some, they are part of the reason for this success of this club, and the fact that they're on solid financial, developmental, and foundational footing going forward.

Why is that?

I think it more has to do with his sense of fairness/leftist sensibility. Sure, owners are all taking at some point, but I just think his statements lead one to speculate that he would not be comfortable playing for a sovereign wealth fund. I think he doesn't need the job, and his morality would concern itself with whether he's sport washing.

Reactions: Mark Stones Spleen

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
That also makes sense.

Maybe they need some cash for another purchase and want to liquify some assets. That would also make sense.
Last time they sold portion to Redbird, they purchased the Penguins. My feeling is they want an NBA team in Vegas.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
They care because they don't want to have to go out and light money on fire in the transfers. They like cost certainty. Even though MLB doesn't really have a cap, the tax does limit some of what MOST clubs would spend. Their concerns with Liverpool, and international football, and the entire reason they wanted to get into bed with a Super League is the idea of runaway costs, and then not being able to collect the tv / appearance premium.

Yeah, they're in the business of making money. But to them, their ability to make money is limited by oil wealth just lighting cash on fire.
Why is it limited? How much additional money do they make finishing first versus third? I don’t think it’s nearly enough for them to care. They seem perfectly content with their model and competitiveness is only an objective up to a point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad