Liverpool up for sale

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
How so? An American owns Arsenal and another owns Chelsea?
The issue with the Gulf countries is the deep ties to the royal families they all have. The group that bought Newcastle had to demonstrate that they weren't controlled by the same people that own Sheffield, for example. If a Qatari group buys Liverpool, they'll have to be separated similarly to be eligible for UCL games.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
How so? An American owns Arsenal and another owns Chelsea?
Ah I misunderstood what you meant when you said buy more than one team. I thought you meant one conglomerate. I'm sure there are rules regarding related parties/affiliates, so you'd have to have someone that wealthy that isn't a member of the royal families. But sure, that could happen. Businessmen aren't using the public's funds, so that wouldn't bother me as much. Would be more similar to Abramovich

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The issue with the Gulf countries is the deep ties to the royal families they all have. The group that bought Newcastle had to demonstrate that they weren't controlled by the same people that own Sheffield, for example. If a Qatari group buys Liverpool, they'll have to be separated similarly to be eligible for UCL games.

Newcastle is owned by PIF who own AramCO... which the state owns. There's a lot of looking the other way one would imagine.

Ah I misunderstood what you meant when you said buy more than one team. I thought you meant one conglomerate. I'm sure there are rules regarding related parties/affiliates, so you'd have to have someone that wealthy that isn't a member of the royal families. But sure, that could happen. Businessmen aren't using the public's funds, so that wouldn't bother me as much. Would be more similar to Abramovich
Your issue with UAE/Qatar using the state's money instead of investing it to their citizens?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
As long as they sign the cheques and they don’t bounce

Not like I have any say in the matter.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
lol, as soon as Liverpool are competitive again, none of their fans would care. Except maybe actual fans in Liverpool. But even then if they win, who knows.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

So this is all because aggregators are pushing “ITK” info. Got it.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I am under the impression that you are implying that it is fine for the same STATE to own two teams in the same league because two PRIVATE AMERICAN CITIZENS own two EPL teams.

If that's not what you are doing, what are you saying?
I said what is stopping TWO BUSINESSMEN from the Gulf from owning clubs in the same league. There isnt a rule against that as TWO BUSINESSMEN who happen to be from America own a club.

Hell there's already two English clubs owned by Saudi Arabia.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I said what is stopping TWO BUSINESSMEN from the Gulf from owning clubs in the same league. There isnt a rule against that as TWO BUSINESSMEN who happen to be from America own a club.

Hell there's already two English clubs owned by Saudi Arabia.
Well, if two businessmen independant from the regimes each want a team? Yeah, sure. Do such businessmen exist? That, I do not know. That being said, if would have been hard to stop a Russian oligarch to buy a team because Roman Abramovich owned Chelsea.

So, yeah, if individuals from the same country want to buy a team, there is nothing you should do to stop that.

As far as a STATE owning a team goes, you already know my position, no matter the state.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well, if two businessmen independant from the regimes each want a team? Yeah, sure. Do such businessmen exist? That, I do not know. That being said, if would have been hard to stop a Russian oligarch to buy a team because Roman Abramovich owned Chelsea.

So, yeah, if individuals from the same country want to buy a team, there is nothing you should do to stop that.

As far as a STATE owning a team goes, you already know my position, no matter the state.
Newcastle is owned by Saudi Arabia and Sheffield is owned by Saudi Royal family member. I doubt there would be any substantial push back when you have multiple teams owned by member of the royal family across the Gulf. Maybe IM overreacting but I dont think this will stop. Arsenal maybe next.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Newcastle is owned by Saudi Arabia and Sheffield is owned by Saudi Royal family member. I doubt there would be any substantial push back when you have multiple teams owned by member of the royal family across the Gulf. Maybe IM overreacting but I dont think this will stop. Arsenal maybe next.
Oh, unfortunately, I 100% agree with you.

I do not think it will stop any time soon. Unless the FA wants it to stop and why would they?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad