GDT: LIVE NHL Draft 2022, Day 2 -- NO SPOILERS

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think that's one reason the Pegulas picked Adams as GM. The team was NOT in a good place and was fractured all over the organization. Adams appears to have the leadership and demeanor that really has helped revamp the entire team from top to bottom to get on one page to feel valued, trusted, and excited about the plan and where it is going. I'm a very emotional guy myself so I feel Forton there.

It's something to see someone that moved making an acknowledgement. Also makes me wonder just how bad it was under Botterill's stewardship too.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
3 seasons of KA drafts:

21 F
5 D
1 G

giphy.gif

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
There are 6 dman that play an nhl game and 12 forwards. When you have Dahlin/Power/Samuelsson for the next 5-6 years you most certainly can.

That's a really shortsighted and narrow view.

Yes, you mentioned 3 guys, but we need 6 Dmen every night of course. So the question is: how good do you want those other 3 to be? I want them to be excellent, not merely adequate.

Now if there are other plans that we are not aware of -- undrafted FA prospects, established UFAs or trades -- to fill in more Dmen on our depth chart, then I could rationalize things. But we cannot leave that part of the pipeline unaddressed just because we have those 3 Dmen already on our roster.

If in next year's draft, things get inverted and 7 out of our 8 picks are Dmen, then I'll feel much better about the situation. But if we see the same kind of ratio play out as it has thus far, or don't take at least 2 Dmen in the first two rounds next year, our prospect pool will reach the point off logjam-absurdity. And especially given that it takes Dmen 2-3 years or more to really "arrive" or peak, it's really not prudent to wait too long to draft these guys.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Fortin getting all choked up about the organization.
Forton really singing the praises of Adams. Literally brought himself to tears

Just finished watching, and wow you guys weren't kidding, that was some serious emotion.

I hope to someday find someone that loves me as much as Forton loves KA (yep, that includes my wife) :laugh:

Last edited:

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
That's a really shortsighted and narrow view.

Yes, you mentioned 3 guys, but we need 6 Dmen every night of course. So the question is: how good do you want those other 3 to be? I want them to be excellent, not merely adequate.

Now if there are other plans that we are not aware of -- undrafted FA prospects, established UFAs or trades -- to fill in more Dmen on our depth chart, then I could rationalize things. But we cannot leave that part of the pipeline unaddressed just because we have those 3 Dmen already on our roster.

If in next year's draft, things get inverted and 7 out of our 8 picks are Dmen, then I'll feel much better about the situation. But if we see the same kind of ratio play out as it has thus far, or don't take at least 2 Dmen in the first two rounds next year, our prospect pool will reach the point off logjam-absurdity. And especially given that it takes Dmen 2-3 years or more to really "arrive" or peak, it's really not prudent to wait too long to draft these guys.
Bottom 2 dman are easy to pickup via trade/FA. Top 6 forwards are not.

Reactions: Reddawg and HOOats

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I miss when it was all on one day so everyone was motivated to get shit done immediately.

You know it's a production. All the interviews, the award presentation, etc. If they really wanted to make it move, do the player interview on another channel like ESPN2.

Honestly, I thought the first round would take about 90 mins.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Forton has been here since 2013 and has been through just about anything you can imagine with this franchise, so it says a lot about Kevyn here.
Looked like Forton was purging the pain from what went on before KA's arrival, as well as expressing appreciation for the unity he's brought to the organization. It must have been one hell of a shitshow under Botts and Murray to prompt that display of emotion.

Here's to better days.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Jerry Fortin's media availability was a great listen

Absolutely loved the detail he shared, from the involvement of the analytics team and dispute resolution, the idea that Neuchev is going to be able to work with Datsyuk next year, to the appreciation of the Swedish development programs at Frolunda among others.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Some people are gonna feel different about this but I think it's kinda badass :laugh:

Since we WNYers have to make everything a comparison to the Bills - it reminds me of every story about Thurman Thomas getting himself pumped up before every game because of teams passing on drafting him.

Also, note that Logan Morrison was not selected for a third and final time. He's now in the UDFA category. It will be interesting to see if he gets an ELC.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Since we WNYers have to make everything a comparison to the Bills - it reminds me of every story about Thurman Thomas getting himself pumped up before every game because of teams passing on drafting him.

Also, note that Logan Morrison was not selected for a third and final time. He's now in the UDFA category. It will be interesting to see if he gets an ELC.

What's wrong with the kid? Seems like a good leader who has a great plus minus and puts up points.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
The way adams has drafted tells me he plans to make resigning our current young defensemen a top priority when their contracts are up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad