News Article: Live Dubas presser

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So apparently Dubas wanting a full rental this year is “all in” “all or nothing” next wil be do or die. The Headlines in Toronto sports media is ridiculous.

Reactions: zeke

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If we keep our first, we have a good shot at Cossa, who could be our goalie of the future. Or if we keep our 2nd, we could get Ben Gaudreau who also looks pretty good.

There are a lot of great prospects from Sweden in our range this year. Unlike last year, there are a bunch of nice defensive and center options available in the late 1st round this year.

Definitely not a bad idea to keep the pick if we are not getting a longer term goalie in return.
OK well I don't know that market but how do we watch these kids live and see how they are progressing? I mean with COVID et all ...

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
While good, not good enough. Can’t rely on a career backup to makeup for Andersen’s suckage. Plus he has his own health issues to contend with.
Campbell playing again is a start. Maybe he should be trading that top prospect for a starting goalie. If we go out in the first round he will be hung out to dry in Toronto. He better get a starting Goalie. Campbell is unproven and having injury problems. Andersen has a groin falling out and can’t move anymore. Hutchinson is capable of doing what he did last game at any time. Darcy Kuemper anyone.
Spending on goalie quality goalie depth not forwards seems like it should be the priority.

Reactions: LeafsRus

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Doesn't sound like the Dube is even looking at goalies. Sure he could be looking in secret because of Andersen's sensitive feelings, but I kind of doubt it.

It's Dubas's chestnuts on the fire if we go out in the first round again with beachball goaltending.

Reactions: Leafs87

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So apparently Dubas wanting a full rental this year is “all in” “all or nothing” next wil be do or die. The Headlines in Toronto sports media is ridiculous.
PessimisticMellowDorado.webp

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Dubnyk is available and has a respectable .909 save percentage this year on a crappy Sharks team. I imagine his numbers can realistically jump up to around the .920 playing here, 1 year deal, 2m cap hit remaining. I think we should make a move for him, run Dubnyk/Campbell, move Freddy + for a top 6 winger or help on D.

Reactions: LeafsRus

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Doesn't sound like the Dube is even looking at goalies. Sure he could be looking in secret because of Andersen's sensitive feelings, but I kind of doubt it.

It's Dubas's chestnuts on the fire if we go out in the first round again with beachball goaltending.
Dubas saying he's looking for help at D/F isn't singling out any player he wants to replace but saying he's looking at goaltending singles out Andy which would be a mistake on his part .

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Spending on goalie quality goalie depth not forwards seems like it should be the priority.

For me it's now our most glaring weakness. Yes there are tweaks you can make at any position but I am fully confident our forwards can go with anyone. I am also pretty comfortable our D (with Sheldon's systems) is enough to go with anyone. Goalie is the only position that makes me nervous, mainly Andersen's propensity to give up the back breakers. When you are up by two, you shouldn't find yourself saying "OK just need 1 or 2 more to be safe". You should be comfortable that your goalie will make the saves he should make. I am not comfortable with Andersen in that sense, which is a shame because he makes all kinds of great saves. Funny thing with goaltending too is it is the one position the coach really can't influence with his systems. His systems can limit what you face but in goal, you and you alone have to shut the door.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If we trade Liljegren we will regret it. It's only the degenerate hot take artists that say he's not progressing.

Last year he was one of only 6 U20 AHL D to score .75 ppg or more in 30 or more games since 2000. Others include Carlson, Faulk, Theodore, Mike Green.

That is one specific statistic. :laugh:

Reactions: Buds17

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Last year he was one of only 6 U20 AHL D to score .75 ppg or more in 30 or more games since 2000. Others include Carlson, Faulk, Theodore, Mike Green.

How is that if he was 20 before 19/20 season even started.
Born April 99.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
While good, not good enough. Can’t rely on a career backup to makeup for Andersen’s suckage. Plus he has his own health issues to contend with.

I think Dubas' plan was to go tandem with campbell and fred and then have fred lose the job for the playoffs. I do agree that we should get a viable third guy since hutch is a disaster.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Good thing we were able to squeeze a win or two out of Hutchinson, and we even had Dell ahead of him to start the season but man does it look bad that we brought him back under any circumstances. He’s just a faulty, not very confident goalie.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What about the original Cliff Fletcher big upgrade trade of Wendel to Quebec that returned Mats Sundin or blockbuster that sent Gary Leeman to Calgary for Dougie Gilmour?.

You win some, you lose some

Oh yeah definitely. Goes back to the original point about an evidence based response to whatever deal is eventually made!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We need to add dmen and no way do you trade a 26 year old homegrown Rielly for a 30 year old Ekholm. I get the fustration with Rielly lately but it might have more to have to do with fatigue than anything.
I was being sarcastic.

Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Dubas is going to get ripped a new one by Leafs fan base, if he starts trading high picks/ prospects for rentals based on how much Lou Lam still gets criticized for dealing for Boyle and Plekanec as rentals to try and advance Leafs beyond round #1 of the playoffs. :wg:

Last edited:

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Chicago available to eat cap as well, expecting Dubas to make some moves in the next week or two. We should try and make a move asap, other teams are going to be looking to make additions now as well. The idea of Staal/Hall is still very intriguing. I believe they can round out the forward group, perfect 3C, Hall can play with JT/Willy.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Good thing we were able to squeeze a win or two out of Hutchinson, and we even had Dell ahead of him to start the season but man does it look bad that we brought him back under any circumstances. He’s just a faulty, not very confident goalie.

Since Keefe took over:

Freddy .905 (57gms)
Hutch .904 (15gms)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Dubas is going to get ripped a new one by Leafs fan base, if he starts trading high picks/ prospects for rentals based on how much Lou Lam still gets criticized for dealing for Boyle and Plekanec as rentals to try and advance in the playoffs.
Lou traded high picks for 4th liners, during our building phase.
Dubas would be trading high picks for more impactful rentals, during our contender phase.

As I'm sure you're well aware, not the same thing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Shocking as it may seem, I think Hutch has actually had more good games than horrible ones this season. The problem is that his bad ones are outstandingly terrible.

But as far as a 3/4th string goalie I'd say Leafs have gotten reasonable value, this year at least. He certainly shouldn't be any long term backup though

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Dubas saying he's looking for help at D/F isn't singling out any player he wants to replace but saying he's looking at goaltending singles out Andy which would be a mistake on his part .

Yes...my hope is that he is quietly looking at available goaltenders as well.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Dubas is going to get ripped a new one by Leafs fan base, if he starts trading high picks/ prospects for rentals based on how much Lou Lam still gets criticized for dealing for Boyle and Plekanec as rentals to try and advance in the playoffs. :wg:
That’s essentially Leaf Nation.
Expansion draft implications *
Covid cap *
There will always be things that people guess might happen thats not good down the road. They don’t know and they don’t make the decisions.
I don’t mind reasonable relinquishments.
Picks and prospects don’t win you a championship with this roster ready to finally play defense along with scoring as well as any team.
This team is better currently before trades than LL’s team after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad