News Article: Live Dubas presser

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Complete waste of time. Almost seems like hes preparing the fanbase for a failed/uneventful trade deadline.

Reactions: BayStBullies

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Damn it I thought some big news was gonna be announced. Oh well....

P.S. do not mortgage the future too much; yes this is the year to go for it for sure BUT at the same time be cognizant of the team weakness; upcoming contract renewals; seattle expansion draft and future.

We still have at least 3 more years of Matthews, Marner and Nylander together after this season so there is time to make that big trade. Hopefully JT will not regress too much in the next 3 years

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Depth type players... SDA in day 4/5 of quarantine now... Happy with him, Hallander and Malgin will come over when their season ends.

Galchenyuk and Barabanov had very good play with the Marlies. Happy with our depth guys, to push the guys on our roster.

Feel good about the depth, and the improvement these guys have had with Marlies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Depth type players... SDA in day 4/5 of quarantine now... Happy with him, Hallander and Malgin will come over when their season ends.

Galchenyuk and Barabanov had very good play with the Marlies. Happy with our depth guys, to push the guys on our roster.

Feel good about the depth, and the improvement these guys have had with Marlies.

Well yes, we are definitely not short on depth anywhere.

It's more about the starting goalie position and maybe a top 9 forward spot that can be improved.

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No comment on Hyman talks.

Luke Fox - Sportsnet - If you are able to add, what is your greatest need.

Dubas - we aren't focused on any one spot... try and improve all spots... called the D and G more stable. May want to look at forward and focus on forward more than anything else.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Josh - Athletic - strange year for prospect development, what have you done to help in these times.

Dubas mentioned that the teams our prospects in Europe, the teams have provided us with a great deal of feedback and video to the Leafs, when they don't really need to. The development staff

Would you consider trading a top prospect his year, to improve the team. VERY QUICKLY _ YES.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Rental vs. Term - Usually you put a premium on guys with term... a bit different now, with flat cap, so it's a rare time when a rental might be a better fit. But if we find a pure hockey trade to improve the team, we will try and find a way to make it fit.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No hesitation he would trade a top prospect. Hard to see how that big return and moving out a prospect will fit into a cap structure that is in a straight jacket. But interesting.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Damn it I thought some big news was gonna be announced. Oh well....

P.S. do not mortgage the future too much; yes this is the year to go for it for sure BUT at the same time be cognizant of the team weakness; upcoming contract renewals; seattle expansion draft and future.

We still have at least 3 more years of Matthews, Marner and Nylander together after this season so there is time to make that big trade. Hopefully JT will not regress too much in the next 3 years

I disagree. This is the year to go for it. You have to give up something to obtain something. The reason I say this is multi-faceted.

We simply won't have this situation again in terms of playoff format, and, the rentals were received for cheap. We couldn't have expected these short term deals, especially at the cap hit.

Go for it now and deal with the fallout later. A team always has to be prudent, but, if it requires an extra prospect or a first round pick this year or next to get the stud(s) you need. IMO this team should do so. The Leafs don't have the flexibility to stack their team anyways due to the Cap, but they can improve it. Possibly even significantly.

There are no guarantees in pro sports. When your best players are doing well, maturing and hungry, you must feed them and put the best warriors/gamers together to take on any opponent.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Mike Augello - Might the Leafs use the same third team tactic to withhold cap, like the Leafs did with Lehner last year. Dubas - We will explore anything we can, but not many teams have the cap to help anyway.

Quarantine - expecting it to stay at 14 days. But that's between NHL and governments, he doesn't have a say in it. Will abide by current rules until changes. Hopes it goes to 7 days (like in preseason), but between NHL and Gov't.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
. The Leafs don't have the flexibility to stack their team anyways due to the Cap, but they can improve it.

I mean, this is a completely ridiculous statement on my part... but you take a guy like Eichel for example. If he's put on LTIR... let's imagine he's out until the first playoff game... well the cap doesn't count in the playoffs, so if we loaded up with players out until game one of the playoffs, we could stack the team. Would it ever happen, of course not, but it's a theoretical possibility.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Complete waste of time. Almost seems like hes preparing the fanbase for a failed/uneventful trade deadline.
upload_2021-3-16_9-44-7.png

Buomp Buomp Buomp .......

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I disagree. This is the year to go for it. You have to give up something to obtain something. The reason I say this is multi-faceted.

We simply won't have this situation again in terms of playoff format, and, the rentals were received for cheap. We couldn't have expected these short term deals, especially at the cap hit.

Go for it now and deal with the fallout later. A team always has to be prudent, but, if it requires an extra prospect or a first round pick this year or next to get the stud(s) you need. IMO this team should do so. The Leafs don't have the flexibility to stack their team anyways due to the Cap, but they can improve it. Possibly even significantly.

There are no guarantees in pro sports. When your best players are doing well, maturing and hungry, you must feed them and put the best warriors/gamers together to take on any opponent.

Agree to an extent that having a chance to get to the conference finals is much higher this year but not sure how much future should be mortgaged. sometimes stacked rosters exit in the 1st round too....

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Agree...should have said we are willing to move any and all prospects and draft picks and are in desperate need at all positions. All the best negotiators do it. ;)

That's fine, but why even have a presser at all? What is the point? From the recaps here, seems like it was a giant waste of time for all.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

He essentially said he would like to make a trade ASAP, and quickly answered to yes if he would move a top prospect in the right deal.

I wouldn't book trade deadline off of work(or school) because our move will be done before then, but I don't understand what presser you listened too/watched based off your comment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad