News Article: Live Dubas presser

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Damn it I thought some big news was gonna be announced. Oh well....

P.S. do not mortgage the future too much; yes this is the year to go for it for sure BUT at the same time be cognizant of the team weakness; upcoming contract renewals; seattle expansion draft and future.

We still have at least 3 more years of Matthews, Marner and Nylander together after this season so there is time to make that big trade. Hopefully JT will not regress too much in the next 3 years
Time flies eh.... I miss the team that took Washtington is OT in almost every game

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I wish we could fill our 4th line with the toughest roughest , rootin tootin hombres that can skate and love to hit and cause a disturbance every single shift out there
Big mean and hard to play against
Just the 4th line with never ending energy and giant great big enormous Grapefruits!
Oh and one Defense man with the same attributes..

Reactions: Eric bungay

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I believe when Dubas says they are willing to trade a top prospect, the most likely to be traded would be our 2021 first round pick or last years first round pick Rodion Amirov as they were willing to trade that pick last year at the draft.

With the way next year is shaping up, losing Bogo and one of Holl or Dermott to the expansion draft, I can't see them trading Lilly or Sandin when theres spots right there for the taking.
I believe when Dubas says they are willing to trade a top prospect, the most likely to be traded would be our 2021 first round pick or last years first round pick Rodion Amirov as they were willing to trade that pick last year at the draft.

With the way next year is shaping up, losing Bogo and one of Holl or Dermott to the expansion draft, I can't see them trading Lilly or Sandin when theres spots right there for the taking.
I agree but Dermott is exempt and Bogo is a UFA

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I wish we could fill our 4th line with the toughest roughest , rootin tootin hombres that can skate and love to hit and cause a disturbance every single shift out there
Big mean and hard to play against
Just the 4th line with never ending energy and giant great big enormous Grapefruits!
Oh and one Defense man with the same attributes..

Dubas badly needs to acquire a Goodrow/COleman type of player for the bottom 6. Someone who can also chip in offensively here and there but has grit/defensive game.

I think Derek Grant from Anaheim fits that bill

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
“ Does not have a lot of grit or toughness,so he does not always take full advantage of his big frame at the NHL level. Also, he does not shoot the puck nearly enough.”

Doctor Smith ! Doctor Smith !, Will Robinson !
Danger ! Danger !

LOL, the guy is an elite , elite defender, brodie is not a bone cruncher but he is still our best defender

Reactions: LeafsRus

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's very normal to be apprehensive about a big all-in trade before we know what the particulars are/will be/could be.

Once upon a time, Cliff Fletcher guaranteed big upgrades every year. See how that Clark, Schneider upgrade turned out.

What about the original Cliff Fletcher big upgrade trade of Wendel to Quebec that returned Mats Sundin or blockbuster that sent Gary Leeman to Calgary for Dougie Gilmour?.

You win some, you lose some. :wg:

What I found interesting is both Dubas and Montreal GM Marc Bergevin were interviewed yesterday and Dubas claimed he's proactively seeking potential trades and upgrades, while having nearly zero free cap space to do so, and the Bergevin who is expected to have about $3.5 mil TD cap space claimed he isn't likely to be busy due to lack of cap space and no dead cap space contracts on his roster. He also claimed tradings picks and prospects for a roster player would be a lateral move at best.

This is what he said in response to being asked directly about what Dubas had said earlier to TSN.

With limited cap room, Canadiens GM Bergevin not likely to be active at deadline

Marc Bergevin isn't expecting to go hunting for major reinforcements ahead of the trade deadline, mainly due to being tight against the salary cap.

Link: Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin: ‘We have to make the playoffs’ - TSN.ca

With the April 12 trade deadline fast approaching and the Habs up against the salary cap ceiling, Bergevin says he is happy with the players he has and isn’t eager to use any of his 14 draft selections in 2021 to incentivize another team to take on one of their contracts.

"I like the players we have,” said Bergevin. “They’re all useful players. For me to give up a pick, [for someone else to] take on a player we do like and get another asset, you’re going sideways. We don’t have any dead money on our roster that we’d like to move.”

Last edited:

HC7

May 2, 2018
Rielly is an elite player. He should be signed long term for 7ish million

No one on this team besides him can generate offense from the backend and transition the puck well. He has dominated the puck recently and been barely on the ice for goals against

If we trade rielly unless we get a maybe 10 to 15 particular guys back we are a worse team

Muzzin produced better than him 5 on 5 while he plays infinitely harder minutes against top competition.

Get a f***ing clue if you're going to talk.

HC7

May 2, 2018
If we trade Liljegren we will regret it. It's only the degenerate hot take artists that say he's not progressing.

Last year he was one of only 6 U20 AHL D to score .75 ppg or more in 30 or more games since 2000. Others include Carlson, Faulk, Theodore, Mike Green.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00