News Article: Live Dubas presser

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lou traded high picks for 4th liners, during our building phase.
Dubas would be trading high picks for more impactful rentals, during our contender phase.

As I'm sure you're well aware, not the same thing.

Yep.

If all dubas does is trade high-end futures for 4th line rentals, like Lou did, I will be leading the charge ripping him a new one.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I bet the prospect he would trade is Amirov. After all our window is open now and Amirov is probably 2 years away while Robbie is just about ready to step in.
Robertson will be even more important next season when Hyman signs elsewhere because Dubas pays half the cap to 4 players.............

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Robertson will be even more important next season when Hyman signs elsewhere because Dubas pays half the cap to 4 players.............

Dubas mentioned future allotments given the static cap going forward as a reason that perhaps rentals might be the better option this season. If any player speaks to a reserved allocation of next year's cap, my bet would be on Hyman. If it's a straight swap of Andersen's salary for Hyman's new salary then that seems almost reasonable. I think there's other elements that will be weighed in signing anywhere. But is there anything that will present itself so attractive in this "new normal" world in which Hyman seeks to uproot himself from his family and home? My strong sense is Hyman will work with Dubas to remain a Leaf for as long as it is within his control (ie Hyman's) to do so.

In the meantime, Nashville is a club I could see Dubas looking for multiple solutions involving past models that have accented the market. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kerfoot and Ekholm exchanged in a deal in which our 1st shifts to Nashville with perhaps another good piece. Jarnkrok is a playoffs depth move.

This to say in so many ways that we can find solutions if we explore good options, I suspect Dubas and Co. are doing the very same, albeit in a non-stop, resource-saturated, professionally obligatory way.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dubas is going to get ripped a new one by Leafs fan base, if he starts trading high picks/ prospects for rentals based on how much Lou Lam still gets criticized for dealing for Boyle and Plekanec as rentals to try and advance Leafs beyond round #1 of the playoffs. :wg:

In Dubas' defence this team is closer and has an easier road to round #3. I do not think he should be criticized for trading for a rental. Where he is open to critisism will be his goalie (if he chokes again) and Maricin playing a playoff game.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Since Rielly has been in the league, he's been on for 508 even-strength goals against. Good for 5th worst in the league among defensemen. This season he's 63rd overall. Last season he was on for 10 more against then Cody Ceci who played 9 more games. Both Rielly and Tyson Barrie were at around 1 even-strength goal against per game. Tyson Barrie was was 9th worst in the league so good chance Rielly could of made the worst top-10 if he wasn't injured. Clearly he's hurt the defensive aspect of the team. That being said, he's contributed quite nicely to offense as well. The question Dubas might be pondering... if I have Rielly who takes two steps forward and two steps backwards, would it make more sense to have someone who takes one step forward and one step back but is cheaper? You might lose that offensive contribution, but also wouldn't have to throw someone out when you're protecting a lead and crossing your fingers either. Adding Brodie has done a remarkable job of making Rielly look a lot better.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Where he is open to critisism will be his goalie (if he chokes again)

I think that's fair TBH. I understand why KD would keep status quo with Andy/Campbell just to maintain the moral in the room. I think Shipping Fred out would be a huge shift in the culture of the room and could really f*** with the moral. On the other hand, Fred really could be our Derozon. If we could acquire a guy like Keumper in place of him, that would drastically improve our chances at winning. Such a hard call. I think the big hesitation would be the optics of wronging Freddy and how that would play out long term for guys like Auston. Who is really close to Freddy. It obviously worked out for the Raps because they got the Larry OB, but had they not won it all, there is a chance that a guy like Kyle would have the inverse relationship to the organization. The only difference being, the raps were likely always going to move on from Kyle at this current moment. So the "all in" move was really not as big of a risk. Whereas, we need Auston to resign in 4 years. He is the most dynamic/talented player in Leafs history. I would be kissing the ground this guy walks on. Every step of the way, even if it is 4 years out. We cannot afford to lose him, and if that means rolling the dice with Fred to not piss him off, that's what I'd do. We can always move on from Fred after the year is done, and it packs less of a sting IMO. But I respect both sides of the argument TBH

Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In Dubas' defence this team is closer and has an easier road to round #3. I do not think he should be criticized for trading for a rental. Where he is open to critisism will be his goalie (if he chokes again) and Maricin playing a playoff game.

I agree with you there ...

Shortened 56 game reg season and weak QofC of the CDN Div and 1X CDN team guaranteed a final 4 playoff spot. Never going to get a better opportunity then during a pandemic anomaly once in a lifetime situation to go all in.

You only have to beat 6 X CDN and 2 X USA teams & 8 teams total to hoist a Cup.

Dubas knows this and would like to exploit this, and do whatever it takes/costs to do so.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Cliff Fletcher was a rock star in his day. He was trusted to take the Leafs to the promised land. He got pretty far. Made some all in moves. Didn’t get it done.

I trust that I don't need to explain the difference between the decision making process in the 80's and 90's and the modern game. With respect to going "all in", I think we need to be careful not to overrate the assets in our farm system. The Leafs have good depth, but there may not be anyone outside of Sandin who is going to feature in the top 6 forwards or top 4 on defense in the next season or two. If you believe you can move those kinds of assets for a genuine difference maker in a contending window you need to be aggressive in looking to make that happen. The beauty of depth in the farm system is that you can sustain a loss or two.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don’t even know what that means. Lol

Usually if there is a big trade on HFBoards (especially involving the Leafs), there is a 502 error because so many people flock here at one time.

I think it is the same way at the TDL and Free Agent Frenzy. I don't think people care enough about the Draft for it to happen at that time.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Usually if there is a big trade on HFBoards (especially involving the Leafs), there is a 502 error because so many people flock here at one time.

I think it is the same way at the TDL and Free Agent Frenzy. I don't think people care enough about the Draft for it to happen at that time.
Thanks for the clarification. I will keep am eye out for that
:)

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Trading Amirov or Robertson isnt a very smart move IMO. These guys will be very cheap top 6 players very soon. Robertson ready next year Amirov the year after. We are gonna have this issue every year where we need to fill out our top 6. Either we keep trading prospects for rentals every year or we save these 2 prospects and get 3 years of ELC performance by them.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Dubas can literally trade Sandin, TL, Robertson, and the next 3 years 1st rounders as long as the Leafs win the Cup and yet there will still be people complaining. Or he could do nothing and the Leafs win a round or two and same people will complain about him not going on in.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Belfour was the last goalie I had faith in as a leafs fan

He was great, but those are big shoes to fill. The guy was a cup winner and a hall of fame goalie. There are average goalies who have won cups. The pressure for any goalie to live up to Hall of fame is a big much no?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He was great, but those are big shoes to fill. The guy was a cup winner and a hall of fame goalie. There are average goalies who have won cups. The pressure for any goalie to live up to Hall of fame is a big much no?

Sure, I guess so. I’ve been a leafs fan since 95. I was just hoping during this time we had more than 1 goalie who didn’t have a huge flaw attached to them tbh. Cujo was okay too, but he and Belfour both had short stays. Cujo much like Andersen was unpredictable. Great at times and totally unreliable others.
I know this team has had many flaws in the last 26 years but goaltending is def number one all things considered during this span.

A goalie can literally make or break a hockey team.

I can’t pinpoint whether it’s the pressure of playing here mixed in with goaltending being the most mentally difficult position to play, but something is wrong with Toronto in this department

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Dubas is going to get ripped a new one by Leafs fan base, if he starts trading high picks/ prospects for rentals based on how much Lou Lam still gets criticized for dealing for Boyle and Plekanec as rentals to try and advance Leafs beyond round #1 of the playoffs. :wg:
Not if he makes the right moves. Boyle was a great move, Turtle neck boy not so much.
IMO, doing nothing this year is cause for criticism especially if the cap prevents them from adding to the lineup

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Agreed

All deals will essentially need to be cap neutral balancing Out vs In, but I suppose you could add a top prospect or high pick and get the better player in return.
That only seems possible if it's a goalie. We don't have many players making 5 plus million I'd be willing to let go for a similarly paid skater. Who else making 5 plus million is performing that poorly you'd swap him out for a rental.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Do any other fans miss the Brian Burke days when he hold weekly press conferences to hear him self speak.

according to Burke he did that to get the press off the players... who knows if it’s true but they were bad a lot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad