Salary Cap: Little to no cap increase the next four years

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So is the idea that they'll keep the cap higher this year... but then recoup some of the lost money from last year and this year over the next 3-4 years?

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
So is the idea that they'll keep the cap higher this year... but then recoup some of the lost money from last year and this year over the next 3-4 years?

I assume that is the case. Players are going to be livid but they don’t have much recourse.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'm thinking we'll finally see some (TJ caliber+late 1st+decent prospect, not blue-chip, for conditionals) type trades. Not if, but when. Only so much LTIR, cap maneuvers etc. to be done.

Some teams will find their LTIR loopholes CHI etc.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I understand the concept. My concern is how willing Ilitch will be to take on bad salaries to get assets. He's not exactly as free with his money as his father was.

People hated when Holland spent to the cap and we still sucked.

Isn’t this better? Why should we be spending to the cap right now?

It seems like being less trigger happy in free agency and having more cap flexibility is a good thing right now. To me it’s being “smart”, not “cheap”.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
People hated when Holland spent to the cap and we still sucked.

Isn’t this better? Why should we be spending to the cap right now?

It seems like being less trigger happy in free agency and having more cap flexibility is a good thing right now. To me it’s being “smart”, not “cheap”.

Oh no, it's completely that he's cheap and he's a terrible owner and we're gonna suck forever.

/s

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I understand the concept. My concern is how willing Ilitch will be to take on bad salaries to get assets. He's not exactly as free with his money as his father was.

Well we saw it this year with Staal. Maybe he doesn’t spend right to the cap, but I have to imagine he’s willing to spend to a degree.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Actually, we do not know how willingly C. Illitch will spend money yet, since the Red Wings and the Tigers have been to bad to invest larger amounts for players. But for what it’s worth, the Red Wings recently took Staal‘s contract for a pick and the Tigers spent € 16m to improve the return in the Verlander trade.

Gruß,
BSHH

Reactions: SirloinUB

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Well we saw it this year with Staal. Maybe he doesn’t spend right to the cap, but I have to imagine he’s willing to spend to a degree.
Agreed, especially, like with Staal, the actual salary is substantially less than the cap hit. I think Stevie would be all over that.

Reactions: kliq
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The Wings still make money spending to the cap while not even making the playoffs. It's probably not a big deal to spend a bit more if it lands some big ticket assets.

Especially considering Little Caesars is doing fine in quarantine, so it's unlikely Olympia needs money badly enough to try to get it from the Wings' payroll.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Higher overall salaries means they can charge more dues. It wasn't always 30/game. And when overall salaries increase, so do the dues.
When was the last time they raised the dues? Do you have a source showing that as salaries increase so do the dues?

It just seems like you're trying to make the union bent out of shape about something with zero evidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad