Prospect Info: Linus Weissbach (2017, 192nd) signed to ELC

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I wonder if he can hang out on the taxi squad with the ATO
The point of the taxi squad is to have extra players available in case the NHL team needs them. Weissbach is 100% unavailable to play for the Sabres in any capacity this season, as he cannot be party to an NHL contract during the current league year.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Cool signing. Looks like the only one from 2017 who won't at least get to Rochester is Davidsson.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje

Coach is wrong. It's Lee-ness. Or even Lee-noose. ;)
Unless of course, Linus himself has opted to anglicize the pronunciation. I recall there was a difference last year where Sabres commentators said Marcus Johansson as "Joe-Hanson" in a typical anglicized fashion but Johan Larsson as "Yohan" in a more "correct" Swedish way, and they even talked about it at one point, that such was the way the respective player wanted their names pronounced.

But either way, welcome aboard! I've had a feeling for a long time that this kid could be a late-round gem, so I'm quite excited that he is signed.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Unless of course, Linus himself has opted to anglicize the pronunciation. I recall there was a difference last year where Sabres commentators said Marcus Johansson as "Joe-Hanson" in a typical anglicized fashion but Johan Larsson as "Yohan" in a more "correct" Swedish way, and they even talked about it at one point, that such was the way the respective player wanted their names pronounced.

But either way, welcome aboard! I've had a feeling for a long time that this kid could be a late-round gem, so I'm quite excited that he is signed.
Linus Omark had it pronounced that way

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
This is gonna sound very "old man get off my lawn!" of me but if a late round pick like that who got passed by how many times only to be thrown a life preserver by this team doesn't wanna sign with said team then good riddance. This entire organization needs a character re-haul regardless so don't let the door swing to hard on your way out.
How is it a life preserver? Being drafted in the 7th round doesn't mean you get a guaranteed contract or anything else.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Swedes are showing their displeasure by boycotting the Charlie Brown and Snoopy show.
The Charlie Brown And Snoopy Show (CBS): Sweden TV executive insights updated daily - Parrot Analytics

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
there is a 90 player rights limit. Thus woukd be 40 player max on unsigned+ sliding contracts. Buffalo coukd have gotten really close to this in 2013-2016.

the NCAA has some not all that known rules on college kids under scholarship limiting their ability to get income from elsewhere. This is why college scholarship kids shoukd get some sort of weekly stipend of say $100 per week.

Scholarship athletes get far no more than $100 in meal money, materials,c academic services and other benefits to which non-athletes do not have access.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Scholarship athletes get far no more than $100 in meal money, materials,c academic services and other benefits to which non-athletes do not have access.

Non-athletes also have the time and opportunity to have jobs during the school year to help cover costs and they don't have restrictions with regards to things like having a YouTube channel or making t-shirts.

NCAA athletes are way more restricted in a ton of areas when compared to non-athlete students.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Scholarship athletes certainly get benefits non-athlete students don't get.

Regardless, the ban on college athletes making money off their image, license, playing, etc. is downright stupid. Hopefully that entire regressive system gets completely overhauled in the next decade.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Regardless, the ban on college athletes making money off their image, license, playing, etc. is downright stupid. Hopefully that entire regressive system gets completely overhauled in the next decade.

Scholarship athletes also work more for the university than non-athletes on academic scholarships do.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

Reactions: Husko

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What do you mean by work for the university?

The work they have to perform to meet the requirements of the scholarship.

Students with academic scholarship aren't asked to put in 30+ hours worth of work above and beyond their schoolwork to maintain their scholarships.

Students with academic scholarship aren't asked to miss classes and travel off campus, and often out of state, on a regular basis to maintain their scholarships.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The work they have to perform to meet the requirements of the scholarship.

Students with academic scholarship aren't asked to put in 30+ hours worth of work above and beyond their schoolwork to maintain their scholarships.

Students with academic scholarship aren't asked to miss classes and travel off campus, and often out of state, on a regular basis to maintain their scholarships.
Got it. Yeah, I don't disagree. And all the more reason why I'm all for student athletes being paid and allowed to make money on themselves, especially those that are part of profitable programs. As for those in the vast majority of non profitable programs, well that's a larger discussion...

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

scholarship athletes can’t get second jobs to get extra cash on campus for spending money. Thus is why peop,e want athletes paid at least some monthly stipend for college spending money.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Got it. Yeah, I don't disagree. And all the more reason why I'm all for student athletes being paid and allowed to make money on themselves, especially those that are part of profitable programs. As for those in the vast majority of non profitable programs, well that's a larger discussion...

Paying scholarship athletes is problematic, even for the vast minority of profitable programs.

The first and easiest step is to allow athletes to make money through endorsement deals, autographs, selling gear, etc. I'm even fine with alumni paying players.

But, Title IX makes paying football and basketball players problematic. And the more gets spent on athletes, the more non-revenue producing sports programs will get cut until a lot more schools are like UB where they have one or two big programs and then the minimal amount of teams in the rest of the athletic department.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Paying scholarship athletes is problematic, even for the vast minority of profitable programs.

The first and easiest step is to allow athletes to make money through endorsement deals, autographs, selling gear, etc. I'm even fine with alumni paying players.

But, Title IX makes paying football and basketball players problematic. And the more gets spent on athletes, the more non-revenue producing sports programs will get cut until a lot more schools are like UB where they have one or two big programs and then the minimal amount of teams in the rest of the athletic department.
Letting football and basketball players go pro at 18 would help solve the problem.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Letting football and basketball players go pro at 18 would help solve the problem.

Not really. You still have the college sports system making huge amounts of money while greatly restricting the income making potential of the primary members of the workforce.

Basketball has way more options now with players taking gap years either playing overseas, the new team in the G League, and even interning at sneaker companies. But, that doesn't change the reality for college basketball players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad