Prospect Info: Linus Weissbach (2017, 192nd) signed to ELC

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The more competition for roster spots, the better. The more options Adams has for trade packages, the better.

Unexpected development from a player like Weissbach is found money.

Is he unexpected though? He is just in his second pro season and his final year at Wisconsin he was third in the nation in points/2nd in assists. He's got skill and this should be an interesting year to see how he grows at the AHL level, but some recall time might not be out of the question.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Is he unexpected though? He is just in his second pro season and his final year at Wisconsin he was third in the nation in points/2nd in assists. He's got skill and this should be an interesting year to see how he grows at the AHL level, but some recall time might not be out of the question.
Unexpected to me, and others as well, apparently. He might not even make it into the Top 20 of our Prospects Poll.

You follow these guys more closely than most of us. Where would you rank him?

Reactions: DJN21

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

I mean, in the sense any 7th rounder (regardless of his pre-NHL development) battles for an NHL spot is very unexpected!

Reactions: jc17 and Digable5

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Unexpected to me, and others as well, apparently. He might not even make it into the Top 20 of our Prospects Poll.

You follow these guys more closely than most of us. Where would you rank him?

His stutter-step in development at Wisconsin was the broken wrist. That caused problems, even more so than the program issues. And don't forget he's an overage pick so longer development paths are certainly not out of the question. His concussion was a concern too - he was out on his feet when his season ended not that long ago.

As for ranking him in the cluster of wingers? He's in the group with guys like Bloom, Nadeau, and Cederqvist to me though each has different skills to bring. Weissbach is both quick and creative, but he's also a 4-year collegiate player and someone who has had some adversity to overcome with injuries and size considerations. And he's close to the group now, so some NHL game time is not without possibility this season since we know injury will happen. Right now, he's probably in the mix for first callup for scoring line winger replacement, in competition with Biro (center option), Malone (gritty/checking option) and the riser who seems could eclipse him sooner in Rousek.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Linus is battling for first call up this season. He can take another step in AHL scoring, to a 50 point player with Quinn and Peterka playing up. I've always liked his game, he knows how to generate transition offense.

I think he is going to be a guy who could receive a nice 2-way deal at the end of the year. Maybe a 2 year that takes him to 27.

Reactions: Chainshot

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I would be shocked if we don't see Weissbach get a game or two with the Sabres. At some point our injury thread will revert to numbers only, and Biro/Weissbach/Rousek seem like good shots at getting the injury callup (I think Rosen/Kisakov both stay in Rochester for the whole year).

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I would be shocked if we don't see Weissbach get a game or two with the Sabres. At some point our injury thread will revert to numbers only, and Biro/Weissbach/Rousek seem like good shots at getting the injury callup (I think Rosen/Kisakov both stay in Rochester for the whole year).
No love for Brett Murray?

Reactions: DJN21

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
That's a "yes" and "no" kind of answer to the initial question. On the one hand, no one really expects 5'9 late rounders to amount to much...even with having Nate Gerbe turn into a very serviceable NHL player.

On the other hand, Weissbach has unquestionable play-making skills that translate well at the pro level. He also is slippery enough to avoid excess wear and tear despite his stature.

I always liked his game so I'm really curious to see how he pans out. In keeping with unlikely Badger success stories; nothing will shock me after seeing Davis Drewiske become a NHL regular;)

Reactions: Dingo44 and DJN21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad