Player Discussion Linus Ullmark

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
A four-game sample size and an 8-game sample size are both cherry picking. I believe that was the point.

Without context, you can pick 8 games from the Tim Thomas 2011 playoffs and just say, "wow he sucked".
There isnt a bigger sample size to use for ullmark in the playoffs. Unfortunately his performance is the reason for the small sample size, which should be noted. He plays better and he has a larger sample size. Unfortunately we havent seen that from him.

At this pace it could be 5 years worth of playoff runs for ullmark before we get a decent sample size. So we have to go with what we have.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Probably want to avoid 9m in cap to goaltending. Question, who do you move, Ullmark or Swayman?
Probably Ullmark his playoff appearances going back to last season worry me ,but also unfortunately I doubt the return in a trade would be that significant unfortunately.Maybe Swayman will take less for a season or two,and they can keep them both.

How about 3 mil next season, 5 the following year?

Play kick the can like politicians.
Yeah kind of hoping they can get him to sign something like that .

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If Swayman is wanting 3.5 to 4 million I would think,going to be difficult,but if they do keep both of them ,personally I’ve had enough of the goalie hugs.
If they want to just keep making the playoffs then sign both goalies. However once you get to the playoffs having $4+ million automatically on the bench in a healthy scratched goalie(not including any forwards or defenders, gryz, foligno, frederic etc) is a disadvantage.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If they want to just keep making the playoffs then sign both goalies. However once you get to the playoffs having $4+ million automatically on the bench in a healthy scratched goalie(not including any forwards or defenders, gryz, foligno, frederic etc) is a disadvantage.

How is that a disadvantage?

Once you get to the playoffs you could have a 15-million-dollar backup goalie, it doesn't have any effect at all.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Ullmark game 1-4 save %

.969 first star
.953 first star

Weekes deleted tweet refers to game 5 at the 10 minute mark

It’ll get out there because the players know

Uncle Rico cherry picking there is a surprise

People calling Ullmark a choker when he won twice in Florida and was first star in game 4

Oh wait he got home and realized OMG!!! Pressure - ewwwww I can’t handle it

Yeh that makes sense

And then he fell apart because he cant handle being an every day goalie

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I don’t think they both will be back unless they can get Swayman cheap for another season.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
How is that a disadvantage?

Once you get to the playoffs you could have a 15-million-dollar backup goalie, it doesn't have any effect at all.

Because theres a regular season and you have to account for cap space.

Id rather allocate as much cap to players who are actually going to play in games as possible. Id rather not have 14M in cap getting healthy scratched like the bruins did with Ullmark, foligno, gryz and frederic the last two years.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

The numbers are whatever, but the fact the Bruins twice pulled him in a series is a concern. Maybe it's the perfect storm of not being healthy and all that who knows.

I mean all those years rask played, he never had a GAA above 3 or a sv pctg under .900 in the play-offs. Thomas, never under 2.65 gaa or under a .914. Even Swayman career is .901 and 2.79 in the same amount of games Ullmark has played in.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Because theres a regular season and you have to account for cap space.

Id rather allocate as much cap to players who are actually going to play in games as possible. Id rather not have 14M in cap getting healthy scratched like the bruins did with Ullmark, foligno, gryz and frederic the last two years.

You specifically stated, "once the playoffs start". The money doesn't matter.

Ullmark was not a healthy scratch.

Do you think other playoff teams have no healthy scratches?

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
There will never be a better time to deal Linus. His value is sky high and lots of teams need tendies.

Reactions: Ratty

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
id trade him.
even before his supposed injury in game 5, he had a bad game 2. that probably cost us the sweep. and we lost a home game to that beer league goalie.
game 2 regular season ullmark stops the bennet shot, the staal shot, montour screen shot he stopped and tracked better all year long. mcavoy classic giveaway led to 4th goal. that one prob no chance. Then 5th goal slapper he stopped all year as well.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You specifically stated, "once the playoffs start". The money doesn't matter.

Ullmark was not a healthy scratch.

Do you think other playoff teams have no healthy scratches?

I’m not sure how this is so hard to understand.

I would rather spend $5m on a player who is going to play every playoff game than have ullmarks $5m sitting as a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

I know cap doesn’t matter in the playoffs. However they have to be cap compliant during the regular season.

I would rather spend ullmarks $5m on someone else now. So we don’t get to the postseason and Ullmark is healthy scratched again. When it could have been used on an every day player.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The numbers are whatever, but the fact the Bruins twice pulled him in a series is a concern. Maybe it's the perfect storm of not being healthy and all that who knows.

I mean all those years rask played, he never had a GAA above 3 or a sv pctg under .900 in the play-offs. Thomas, never under 2.65 gaa or under a .914. Even Swayman career is .901 and 2.79 in the same amount of games Ullmark has played in.

Apparently it’s too small of a sample size though for Ullmark. So at this rate we will be waiting another 5 years of first round exits from Ullmark to have to get a decent enough sample size for some of these people to come to a conclusion

Two coaches, two different play styles, still healthy scratched in a game 7. Same result.

Not a surprise though. Too many people love the player more than the team and will overlook piss poor performances so they can get their little best friend goalie hug after regular season wins to make the fans feel happy

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There isnt a bigger sample size to use for ullmark in the playoffs. Unfortunately his performance is the reason for the small sample size, which should be noted. He plays better and he has a larger sample size. Unfortunately we havent seen that from him.

At this pace it could be 5 years worth of playoff runs for ullmark before we get a decent sample size. So we have to go with what we have.
Let’s go back when he played for Malmo or look at the first 4 games and 10 minutes of gsme 5 when ‘it’ happened

Game 1 .969 sv % first star
Game 2 .828
Game 3 .935
Game 4 .953 first star

Game 5: 10 minute mark Forbert fell and the (. ) happened

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You calling my post illogical is illogical

What’s a good sample size in your mind for the playof. Just curious how many years we will have to wait at ullmarks current rate to get a representative sample
Let’s go back when he played for Malmo or look at the first 4 games and 10 minutes of gsme 5 when ‘it’ happened

Game 1 .969 sv % first star
Game 2 .828
Game 3 .935
Game 4 .953 first star

Game 5: 10 minute mark Forbert fell and the (. ) happened

Damn they should definitely still be playing in the playoffs right now then with numbers like those. What happened

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I’m not sure how this is so hard to understand.

I would rather spend $5m on a player who is going to play every playoff game than have ullmarks $5m sitting as a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

I know cap doesn’t matter in the playoffs. However they have to be cap compliant during the regular season.

I would rather spend ullmarks $5m on someone else now. So we don’t get to the postseason and Ullmark is healthy scratched again. When it could have been used on an every day player.

Ullmark is not a healthy scratch!!!!! He would be the backup goaltender! If he were not the starter. Which he was.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
What’s a good sample size in your mind for the playof. Just curious how many years we will have to wait at ullmarks current rate to get a representative sample

Damn they should definitely still be playing in the playoffs right now then with numbers like those. What happened

Do you really need anyone to go over it again for the 10,000th time.

Reactions: Ladyfan

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
What happened when he was in Buffalo? That matters about as much as what happened last year.

Oh so every year is a new year and past performances don’t matter. At least I know the context of the argument you are coming up with now.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Except when he got benched last year after game 2...remember, the 1st of 2 playoff series he's cost the team?
What happened when he was in Buffalo? That matters about as much as what happened last year.

because according to Dennis past performances dont matter. Last year doesnt matter, the year before doesn't matter, buffalo doesnt matter. Every year is a new year and everyone gets a clean slate!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad