Prospect Info: Linus Ullmark (2012, 163rd) – '15-16: Buffalo #35 (NHL)Recalled 4/9/16

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Watched the game and Ullmark was really impressive.

Looked really poised and composed, puck tracking was good and didn't seem to overplay or look shaky at all. Rebound control was good either, but not remarkable. The goal allowed was not his fault at all.

If he keeps playing like that in Rochester, can't really see any reason not to give him starts in Buffalo as well.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Despite being really unlikely, how funny would it be if Ullmark comes and establishes himself as a solid starter in Buffalo while Lehner is healing from his injury? :laugh:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Despite being really unlikely, how funny would it be if Ullmark comes and establishes himself as a solid starter in Buffalo while Lehner is healing from his injury? :laugh:

He's given every sign of being that kind of prospect up to this point. Until I see him get beaten in the NHL, I see no reason not to actually consider this.

One week at a time, and it'll also depend on Lieuwen. If Lieuwen plays well in his share of starts, we won't have the occasion to see anyways. But at the very least, I suspect he'll be pushing for a spot next year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

It seems pretty unlikely only because how often do goalies Ullmark's age come in and immediately take over as starters? Goalies take a long time to develop usually. He absolutely has the potential to be a very good starter down the road though. People got down on him last year because of a rough start, but he was on a terrible team and played well later in the season (for my money, probably the #1 reason MODO didn't get relegated).

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
He's given every sign of being that kind of prospect up to this point. Until I see him get beaten in the NHL, I see no reason not to actually consider this.

One week at a time, and it'll also depend on Lieuwen. If Lieuwen plays well in his share of starts, we won't have the occasion to see anyways. But at the very least, I suspect he'll be pushing for a spot next year.

I agree. Depending on how long Lehner is out and if Linus can show some reasonable consistency in ROC, I don't see why they wouldn't throw a few NHL games at him for a gauge if nothing else. Good to see the kid healthy and showing up ready.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Well yeah, but I think he means getting someone better would give us at least a slim chance at a playoff berth, as opposed to being a lock bottom-10 team.

I don't think that the Sabres are a playoff team and I don;t think this year is about doing whatever it takes to make the playoffs.

I think this year is about developing the team and the individuals on the team to move forward to the point that they compete for the Cup.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Well yeah, but I think he means getting someone better would give us at least a slim chance at a playoff berth, as opposed to being a lock bottom-10 team.
This is going OT but you can still be a bottom 10 team and just miss the playoffs. People are too used to the last two teams we had that missed by 30+ points. Generally in non McEichel years you can be a bad team and still only miss the playoffs by a few points.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Before the injuries, he was certainly on track to be in the NHL mix. If he somehow continues to shine here in NA, stays healthy, etc... No reason not to give him a shot here

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
I haven't seen Ullmark, except for clips and highlights,but there are several things that make me root for him:
1) the YouTube of him dancing and moonwalking for the crowd after a game in Sweden.
2) his old Mariocart Bowzer mask.
3) his current mask being Sabres blue and gold instead of Rochester colors. I like that show of confidence.

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium
If Johnson or Lieuwen gets injured , Ullmark will get his shot. Clearly they rate him above Makarov already.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If Johnson or Lieuwen gets injured , Ullmark will get his shot. Clearly they rate him above Makarov already.

I think they will occasionally switch Ullmark and Lieuwen as Buffalo backup to keep them fresh by giving both of them AHL games.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@kevinoDandC - Linus Ullmark says today just a maintenance day. "Everything's good." Says he'll be fine to play the weekend.

@kevinoDandC - Though cleared to play (and he played very well in his debut), the #Amerks are being cautious with Linus Ullmark.

Although Linus Ullmark is playing games a month earlier than anyone expected, the Rochester Americans are still easing him back into the routine of the season.
Ullmark didn't practice on Tuesday. He instead did a little off-ice work on what could best be termed a maintenance day.
The rookie goalie from Sweden underwent surgery on both hips in late April.
He made an ahead-of-schedule recovery and played his first game in North America on Saturday, stopping 38 shots in a 2-1 victory over the Utica Comets.
But in order to ensure his hips aren't subjected to unnecessary strain, the organization is taking a cautious approach.
"It's more about managing how he's feeling and to get him ready for the weekend," Amerks coach Randy Cunneyworth said.
Ullmark said he'll be ready to play this weekend. The Amerks are in Newfoundland to play the St. John's IceCaps on Friday and Saturday nights (6:00 pm ET starts in Rochester).
"Everything is good, it's just a precaution," Ullmark said. "It's a long season; we don't need to rush anything."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com.../amerks-prefer-cautious-ullmark-now/73876110/

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Today Bylsma said that another goaltender would get a start this weekend, but he did not specifically say Lieuwen. I wonder if they recall Ullmark to make his NHL debut.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Today Bylsma said that another goaltender would get a start this weekend, but he did not specifically say Lieuwen. I wonder if they recall Ullmark to make his NHL debut.
It will probably be Lieuwen due to Buffalo's back to back coming up this weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad