Waived: Linus Omark

Status
Not open for further replies.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Omark on the 4th line is expected to produce, others in the top 6 get the *needs better line mates* crutch. :laugh:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Omark on the 4th line is expected to produce, others in the top 6 get the *needs better line mates* crutch. :laugh:

Who in the top six gets that? You can argue Omark belongs there ahead of one guy - Leino - and Lein_ is never said to be in need of better linemates. He's just trash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Its rather simple, Omarks absolute strength lies in being an excellent playmaker. If no one is going to the open surfaces to receive passes, his main asset becomes a non-factor. Thats why he should have played more on the second line or perhaps with Larsson (who has this style of playing from SEL) or perhaps Moulson. The 1st line on Sabres looks like a 3rd line in the way they are playing (energy line) and Omark cant bring what such a line needs, even though he did setup a couple of good possibilities.

If you look at teams were he was highly successful he had that, players who got themself into position and had the ability to pass the puck. In Luleå he had Harju, who also got a contract together with Omark in KHL. In Edmonton Omark had Pääjärvi and Gagner, both players can pass the puck and get into position to score. Both Pääjärvi and Harju never produced on the same level again after they stopped playing with Omark.

I think Omark can be productive with the right line up but i doubt any team will spend the energy or time to get it right. He is simply to much of a one trick pony. If he had more speed (significantly) or/and size he probably be much more playable.

It did also seem like he was that he got knocked off the puck easier than before, which is a bit odd.
To those who say it was odd that he spent so many games on 3rd/4th line with minimum ice time i do agree, that was simply a waste of games he could play. He had 2 games on the top line and 1/2 a game on the second line where Leino took 50% of the shifts. I personally think he could have been good with CoHo/Ott or on a line with Moulson. The few times Moulson ended up in the offensive zone with Omark he did recieve some nice passes because Moulson goes to the areas to receive them.

I hoped Omark would be better but as it was he didn't really show enough to warrent more.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Who in the top six gets that? You can argue Omark belongs there ahead of one guy - Leino - and Lein_ is never said to be in need of better linemates. He's just trash.

Last 2 GBU's pity Hodgson stuck with Ott and Dags. Everyone gets a pass playing with Leino but Omark with Scott and Ellis and 2 games with Ennis and dismissed as trash. He may be, I'm just commenting on the double standards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Last 2 GBU's pity Hodgson stuck with Ott and Dags. Everyone gets a pass playing with Leino but Omark with Scott and Ellis and 2 games with Ennis and dismissed as trash. He may be, I'm just commenting on the double standards.

To be fair, Hodgson's proven that he's a good offensive player at this level and we know what he can do with both decent and very good linemates. There's no question that playing with Dags is no good for him and the Ott coupling simply has not worked. Omark on the other hand is a fringe player.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Hodgson is able to produce and needs better linemates. They are not mutually exclusive.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I agree. It's kinda hard to produce points as a "playmaker" when one of your lineys is John friggin Scott and are expected to play as a grinder, to boot. Just seemed like he was set up to fail by being put in that situation. Not that he did too much in the 3 games where he had actual linemates, but perhaps it could've gotten better if chemistry was allowed to develop with said actual linemates for more than just 3 games. FWIW, he looked better than Leino to me. Yet Leino keeps getting gifted the minutes... :huh:

I hate to bring facts into this but the complaining about Omark's linemates and that he was stuck with Scott is a bunch of ill informed nonsense.

His top five linemates 5 on 5 were Flynn 27.7%, Ennis 26.6%, Foligno 25.2%, Leino 24.8% and Stafford 20.8%. So your complaint about him getting only 3 games with actual linemates is way off base.

Omark also averaged 2mins on the PP in his 13 games which is what Ott and Stafford average and puts him in the top 6 for PP time among forwards. He was given chances to try to do something and it didn't work out for him. Its no one else's fault but his own. But somehow John Scott is the scapegoat for Omark doing nothing.

Given that Ted Nolan, grinder lover extraordinaire, was already behind the bench when Omark was acquired, it makes me wonder how much input Nolan had in regards to the transaction to acquire him. Omark has got to be one of the furthest things away from a grinder. If Nolan wanted a 4th line grinder, the Sabres should've traded for one, gone to waivers, or called someone up that plays that style for the 4th line instead of trading for Omark, who was bound to fail in that 4th line role. Just seems like a head-scratcher, is all.

Omark was acquired because they needed a body due to injuries and trying to keep the youngsters down in Rochester. Thats all there was to that move, nothing more. Its the same reason they claimed Konopka a few weeks later.

Anyway, happy trails, Omark. Cool that he's reporting to the Amerks, but I guess he'll go to Europe/KHL after this season and probably succeed in a role he's accustomed to playing.

Yep as a winger in a lesser league than the NHL.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I hate to bring facts into this but the complaining about Omark's linemates and that he was stuck with Scott is a bunch of ill informed nonsense.

His top five linemates 5 on 5 were Flynn 27.7%, Ennis 26.6%, Foligno 25.2%, Leino 24.8% and Stafford 20.8%. So your complaint about him getting only 3 games with actual linemates is way off base.

Omark also averaged 2mins on the PP in his 13 games which is what Ott and Stafford average and puts him in the top 6 for PP time among forwards. He was given chances to try to do something and it didn't work out for him. Its no one else's fault but his own. But somehow John Scott is the scapegoat for Omark doing nothing.

Just came in to post this. Here I was enjoying the narrative about Omark and "John friggin' Scott," and come to find out Omark has only played 1:28 all season at 5-on-5 with Scott. :laugh:

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Just came in to post this. Here I was enjoying the narrative about Omark and "John friggin' Scott," and come to find out Omark has only played 1:28 all season at 5-on-5 with Scott. :laugh:

Really? I honestly thought it was more. I stand corrected.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm

It speaks tons about how little icetime he had before the 3 last games. Omark had a fairly successful rookie year and was almost ppg the last 12 games or so in the NHL. Pretty sure he at least ones was star of the game vs Vancouver.

The problem was that he didnt play good enough now. He did show some sparks, but he needed to play (much) better.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
it speaks tons about how little icetime he had before the 3 last games. omark had a fairly successful rookie year and was almost ppg the last 12 games or so in the nhl. Pretty sure he at least ones was star of the game vs vancouver.

The problem was that he didnt play good enough now. He did show some sparks, but he needed to play (much) better.

12/21 - 12:57
12/27 - 9:31
12/29 - 12:45
12/31 - 16:01
1/2 - 11:34
1/4 - 8:48
1/9 - 13:37
1/12 - 14:38
1/14 - 13:45
1/21 - 11:17
1/27 - 10:25
2/3 - 16:15
2/5 - 14:27

Karate Johnson*

I think its time to just come to grips with the fact that he's just not that good.

He has certain talents, and in lesser leagues his shortcomings aren't a big deal, so those talents shine through.

NHL is the best of the best, and Linus Omark is no Eric Roberts.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
He's a really frustrating character. If you watch his Youtube highlights, his creativity and skills are off the charts. Not just playmaking, but goal scoring. I've never seen another player do some of the stuff that he's done. The problem is that it's really hard to be a finesse player in the NHL these days. Nonetheless, given that this season is completely lost, why not give him every opportunity to try to succeed for the rest of the season? Personally, I'd let him play another 20 games just to see if anything happens. There's not much to lose, and maybe we wind up with a gem. A long shot, but who cares?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmYtYSdrt94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiGxP8v5_Fg

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
He's a really frustrating character. If you watch his Youtube highlights, his creativity and skills are off the charts. Not just playmaking, but goal scoring. I've never seen another player do some of the stuff that he's done. The problem is that it's really hard to be a finesse player in the NHL these days. Nonetheless, given that this season is completely lost, why not give him every opportunity to try to succeed for the rest of the season? Personally, I'd let him play another 20 games just to see if anything happens. There's not much to lose, and maybe we wind up with a gem. A long shot, but who cares?

You can see the difference a bit of self confidence can do! :laugh:
I wonder if that is the what he lacks now or if he actually regressed. He seems to young to regress but he did fracture a foot and got a lot of crap when he was in Edm.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
When you type Linus Omark into Google Translate and change it from Swedish to English you get Luke Adam.

LaFontaineToMogilny

Jul 16, 2013

I'm with you on this. I was excited when we signed him, knowing that he has the potential to be extremely entertaining. For a team that keeps harping on how they need to add skill, you'd think they'd want to cultivate the skill part of Omark's game.

I know people keep saying he didn't get a shot, was played on the wrong line or whatever. To me, the missed opportunity here is how he was played for 10 minutes for two games then scratched for two. Repeat. To get the value out of Linus he should have been given his full 14 games back to back to back to build confidence and be encouraged to play to his strengths.

In stead he was given the Rolston treatment, play two games then sit to mull over his 'compete level'. And yes, I think this is mishandling of a potential asset and yes, I blame it on poor coaching.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
You can see the difference a bit of self confidence can do! :laugh:
I wonder if that is the what he lacks now or if he actually regressed. He seems to young to regress but he did fracture a foot and got a lot of crap when he was in Edm.

It's simple. Notice how most of those highlights are either in Europe or the AHL? The defensive breakdowns that create these highlight reel opportunities are a lot fewer and farther between in the NHL. His passing was great, but unfortunately, this team is chock full of hands of stone that can't handle a 20 foot pass (i.e. the power play) or can convert off his feeds.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
It's simple. Notice how most of those highlights are either in Europe or the AHL? The defensive breakdowns that create these highlight reel opportunities are a lot fewer and farther between in the NHL. His passing was great, but unfortunately, this team is chock full of hands of stone that can't handle a 20 foot pass (i.e. the power play) or can convert off his feeds.

Mostly Europe but only one sequence from AHL. Yeah, thats why i felt Johan Larsson could be a good match and i noticed Moulson seemed to know how get open in the slot to receive those passes.

This one from KHL + National team is nice!

He was fearless in KHL, crazy crashing the net in full speed at times... He was a candidate for Vancouver olympics but when Forsberg said he would be able to play he had to stay home.

What a difference a few years can do. =(

Last edited:

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I realize that it's a bit more complicated but the fact that a guy like Scott has a roll and firm position in the league while a guy like Omark struggles is indicative of the need for the NHL to continue it's gradual evolution. as a hockey fan, I'd choose to watch a player like Omark all day long. It would be great if the Canes picked him up (I had hoped they would when he was waived before) but I doubt that happens.

in a way, it's an exciting time to be a fan of the Sabres and the potential that the next few years may bring and from an outside perspective I hope you guys can dump that "plug" Nolan somehow.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I realize that it's a bit more complicated but the fact that a guy like Scott has a role and firm position in the league while a guy like Omark struggles is indicative of the need for the NHL to continue it's gradual evolution. as a hockey fan, I'd choose to watch a player like Omark all day long. ....

We are happy with the Sabres 1.92 goals per game and Scott's 1 goal this season, thank you.

Thoroughly entertaining hockey. :sarcasm:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I realize that it's a bit more complicated but the fact that a guy like Scott has a roll and firm position in the league while a guy like Omark struggles is indicative of the need for the NHL to continue it's gradual evolution. as a hockey fan, I'd choose to watch a player like Omark all day long. It would be great if the Canes picked him up (I had hoped they would when he was waived before) but I doubt that happens.

in a way, it's an exciting time to be a fan of the Sabres and the potential that the next few years may bring and from an outside perspective I hope you guys can dump that "plug" Nolan somehow.

John Scott has no bearing on Omark's ability or inability to stay in the NHL. Thats been a red herring from the start

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
John Scott has no bearing on Omark's ability or inability to stay in the NHL. Thats been a red herring from the start

The fact that teams consistently devote a spot to an otherwise useless fighter hurts fringe finesse players for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad