Waived: Linus Omark

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Uhh no. Actually I pointed it out when they had Scott doing it too last game. I'm well aware of what its called its still a glorified 3rd defenseman. Not the proper way to use Omark.

No its not a glorified dman and again its not a specific use of Omark. You also don't seem to understand that Omark's lack of speed relative to his linemates (like Scott on his line) is why he was frequently the 3rd man high. He isn't specifically being assigned to that. Should one of his line mates stop skating so he can get in the zone ahead them? And his lack of foot speed and weakness on the puck would make him a poor choice for one of forechecking forwards in the zone. So there is that as well. If you can't understand that Omark wasn't being singled out to play that 3rd man high and his short comings as a player were why he was there. Then there is little hope getting through to you.

Leino has played what 25+ games on the top 2 lines? Omark has played 3. Two of which he was playing as a glorified 3rd defensemen. How can anyone draw any conclusions from 3 games given those circumstances?

Your argument now is Leino has sucked for 25+games on the top 2 lines so lets let Omark do the same? Why? Why on earth do we need to invest time and energy trying to find the perfect combo to somehow make Omark matter in the NHL? He's too small, too weak on the puck and too slow to be an effective NHLer. He was pretty much along for the ride when he played with Stafford and Ennis. He contributed next to nothing to that line.

The thing I find most comical about Omark is a team that in theory should be perfectly suited for him, according to those constantly complaining he isn't being given a chance, is one with a ton of offensive talent and finishers. You know like the Oilers. Yet they didn't want him either. Nor did any other team in the NHL when he was waived again by us. Yet somehow its the Sabres, Nolan, Sacco, etc fault that he can't hack it in the NHL.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I hope he reports to the Amerks and goes back to being a dominant AHL-level scorer for them. They could use the boost.

ZeroPT*

I hope he reports to the Amerks and goes back to being a dominant AHL-level scorer for them. They could use the boost.

I assume this is for the Olympic break. Would he be called up after that?

ZeroPT*

Linus Omark was definitely not a Ted Nolan Player coming in at 20th on the team in Compete Level with 1.44 Nolans. Only Stafford, Hodgson, Grigorenko, and Leino were lower among the forwards. Get a guy with a higher Compete Level and the team will be fine.
Stafford doesn't compete? What?

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Rob Sanderson ‏@RSandersonWHTK 5m
LW Linus Omark, waived Fri. by #Sabres, has been added to #Amerks active roster & assigned # 48. #Roc currently off for #AHLAllStar break.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Stafford doesn't compete? What?
Maybe MSG simulcasts the the game with two separate game feeds?

One features Drew Stafford:
300x300.jpg

The other, Drew Stafford:
159774187_slide.jpg

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The outcomes, as in wins and losses, aren't important this year....

What Nolan is doing is creating a culture of accountability.

He's playing the guys that give a 200ft effort, regardless of situation, because if we get beat because of a bad mismatch it doesn't matter, because it's irrelevant if we win or lose.

The goal is to use the only thing a team can to motivate a player.... Ice time.

We have the luxury of being able to use this ice time reward system extensively because there is no expectation of winning.

Except with Ville Leino :laugh:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
No its not a glorified dman and again its not a specific use of Omark. You also don't seem to understand that Omark's lack of speed relative to his linemates (like Scott on his line) is why he was frequently the 3rd man high. He isn't specifically being assigned to that. Should one of his line mates stop skating so he can get in the zone ahead them? And his lack of foot speed and weakness on the puck would make him a poor choice for one of forechecking forwards in the zone. So there is that as well. If you can't understand that Omark wasn't being singled out to play that 3rd man high and his short comings as a player were why he was there. Then there is little hope getting through to you.

Your argument now is Leino has sucked for 25+games on the top 2 lines so lets let Omark do the same? Why? Why on earth do we need to invest time and energy trying to find the perfect combo to somehow make Omark matter in the NHL? He's too small, too weak on the puck and too slow to be an effective NHLer. He was pretty much along for the ride when he played with Stafford and Ennis. He contributed next to nothing to that line.

The thing I find most comical about Omark is a team that in theory should be perfectly suited for him, according to those constantly complaining he isn't being given a chance, is one with a ton of offensive talent and finishers. You know like the Oilers. Yet they didn't want him either. Nor did any other team in the NHL when he was waived again by us. Yet somehow its the Sabres, Nolan, Sacco, etc fault that he can't hack it in the NHL.

They didn't start using the umbrella until Omark was on the top line thats the point.

The same people that think Miller is the 7th best goalie in the Olympics this year.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
They didn't start using the umbrella until Omark was on the top line thats the point.

The same people that think Miller is the 7th best goalie in the Olympics this year.

It's not the same people at all.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Not to mention that he was square-pegged/round-hole'd Lindy Ruff style on the 4th line in the games he played before this...

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

So the umbrella was done to ensure Omark failed in the top line. Do you even realize the absurdity of what your saying? Btw we had a season high 44 shots in that game against Edmonton so it worked for the team that night. Not so much the next night against the Pens :laugh:

And as if that wasn't absurd enough, you bring up Miller being ranked #7 as some counter argument. The people ranking him # 7 are 6 goalie coaches and two overseas based goalies asked how the goalies in Sochi stack up against each other. In other words people that have absolutely nothing to do with Omark passing through waivers.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not to mention that he was square-pegged/round-hole'd Lindy Ruff style on the 4th line in the games he played before this...

I curious what you think the square hole to his square peg would be? I would say a AHL roster spot or playing in Europe.

He's too small, weak on the puck and doesn't have enough speed to be a NHLer IMO. But I do hope he reports to the Amerks because he is an excellent offense weapon down there.

Last edited:

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Linus Omark was definitely not a Ted Nolan Player coming in at 20th on the team in Compete Level with 1.44 Nolans. Only Stafford, Hodgson, Grigorenko, and Leino were lower among the forwards. Get a guy with a higher Compete Level and the team will be fine.

Stafford doesn't have compete? Are people watching the same guy? :laugh:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
So the umbrella was done to ensure Omark failed in the top line. Do you even realize the absurdity of what your saying? Btw we had a season high 44 shots in that game against Edmonton so it worked for the team that night. Not so much the next night against the Pens :laugh:

And as if that wasn't absurd enough, you bring up Miller being ranked #7 as some counter argument. The people ranking him # 7 are 6 goalie coaches and two overseas based goalies asked how the goalies in Sochi stack up against each other. In other words people that have absolutely nothing to do with Omark passing through waivers.

Jumping to conclusions. I'm merely saying playing the umbrella has hindered our offense. 44 Shots doesn't mean anything when they're all taken from terrible angles with nobody in front...and on top of which its Edmonton ffs they have an AHL defense.

My point is there are too many good players that tend to fall through the cracks. e.g Moulson being a 9th round pick and a ton of people not being drafted period that are on top lines or are in Sochi as we speak. So someone saying other teams passed him up means nothing to me. The brutal truth of it all is it takes a long time to evaluate someone, not 3 games or 13 games playing for the ****** Sabres as you and others suggest. Hell Tyler Myers played terrible for 3 straight seasons.

Karate Johnson*

Is this Omark love based on nationality or YouTube?

I was glad we brought him in for a change of scenery, maybe it coulda worked out.

But no. The guy just isn't an NHL talent. He's the European Luke Adam. Just too many things aren't at an NHL level.

Honestly, I just don't care. It was worth a shot in a lost season, but the guy isn't gonna be in the league. We're not missing the boat on some star player if we just used him correctly or anything. No team is going to make us look bad signing him.

It just doesn't matter. Best of luck in Roch, or Europe or whatever..

Last edited by a moderator:

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
We could've given him a better shot than the fourth line minutes he was originally assigned. That's not to say he necessarily deserved top 6 minutes ... he never proved he did. I'm just saying that we could've let him develop a little more chemistry with players who weren't named Scott while keeping him under the number of games needed to hand over the sixth pick. Good luck to him wherever he goes but I don't feel bad about sending him down. He's 27 - he's shown the NHL what he can deliver and it's not quite enough to stick.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
We could've given him a better shot than the fourth line minutes he was originally assigned. That's not to say he necessarily deserved top 6 minutes ... he never proved he did. I'm just saying that we could've let him develop a little more chemistry with players who weren't named Scott while keeping him under the number of games needed to hand over the sixth pick. Good luck to him wherever he goes but I don't feel bad about sending him down. He's 27 - he's shown the NHL what he can deliver and it's not quite enough to stick.

I agree. It's kinda hard to produce points as a "playmaker" when one of your lineys is John friggin Scott and are expected to play as a grinder, to boot. Just seemed like he was set up to fail by being put in that situation. Not that he did too much in the 3 games where he had actual linemates, but perhaps it could've gotten better if chemistry was allowed to develop with said actual linemates for more than just 3 games. FWIW, he looked better than Leino to me. Yet Leino keeps getting gifted the minutes... :huh:

Given that Ted Nolan, grinder lover extraordinaire, was already behind the bench when Omark was acquired, it makes me wonder how much input Nolan had in regards to the transaction to acquire him. Omark has got to be one of the furthest things away from a grinder. If Nolan wanted a 4th line grinder, the Sabres should've traded for one, gone to waivers, or called someone up that plays that style for the 4th line instead of trading for Omark, who was bound to fail in that 4th line role. Just seems like a head-scratcher, is all.

Anyway, happy trails, Omark. Cool that he's reporting to the Amerks, but I guess he'll go to Europe/KHL after this season and probably succeed in a role he's accustomed to playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad