Waived: Linus Omark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakstream

Let's go Buffalo!
Aug 10, 2010
Sweden
Aw man, I was hoping they would give him the rest of the season to find his game. Moulson, Stafford and more might be gone soon so there might be some spots open.. It could still happen tho!

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Aw man, I was hoping they would give him the rest of the season to find his game. Moulson, Stafford and more might be gone soon so there might be some spots open.. It could still happen tho!

Yeah this is why it makes no sense to me. Half of the team is gonna be a UFA. Who the hell is gonna be our crappy warm bodies for next season? Are they gonna have open tryouts? :laugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Kind of reminds me of the issues Nolan had with Satan when Satan was first here.

Satan produced when he got here. Omark has done nothing. Sorry there is no comparison.

Satan after arriving ---> 12gms 8g 2a 10pts

Omark as a Sabre ---> 13gms 0g 2a 2pts

I've never seen so much handwringing over such a mediocrity. Omark is 27 and not some young kid. He should have a fire burning to do whatever it takes to prove the Oil wrong and show he belongs in the NHL. Look at Verone. He came up and has done anything and everything asked of him since he got here. Yet Omark is being wronged because some think its beneath a fringe NHLer at best to do all the little things to stay in the lineup. I'm stunned people think Omark should have his hand held and just be gifted weeks on the top line.

If he doesn't report to Rochester then he is a quitter and fool. With the pending trades coming here he would easily get all the opportunities in the world post deadline to play in the NHL. Provided of course he does the work.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Have fun watching Lame-o on the top 2 lines for the rest of the season and probably next season too. :rant:

Sure Tropp and Omark weren't huge difference makers but I'm sure most of us can agree we would rather watch them over Lame-o.

Yes because Omark getting waved means Leino is here next season :help:

And Omark is as lame on the top line as Leino.

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Omark doesn't suck. He gets paid to play a game. He'll get paid well by another club somewhere on this planet.

Omark isn't all that good for the NHL. No matter what line mates he had, he should have given the Sabres a solid undeniable reason to keep him. He didn't.

He showed small glimpses, but not near enough to get a longer look.

Good luck Omark. I'm sure you'll do awesome in another league and get paid well for playing a game.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Yes because Omark getting waved means Leino is here next season :help:

And Omark is as lame on the top line as Leino.

Between all our UFAs, players being waived, how much slack he gets and having to hit cap floor next year...yeah I can see Leino being here next season too.

Yes because Nolan had him playing as a 3rd defenseman. Do you even watch the games? You seem to point out stats a lot but refuse to aknowledge circumstance.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I wonder why he was signed in the first place? If he's so clearly not the type Nolan wants, why was he brought in at all? Omark has played pretty much as advertised, it's not like they could have expected him to be a grinder in the corners. Makes me wonder how well communication is flowing in the Sabres front office.

If they tell him that they just want to send him down to Rochester for the break, I think he's more likely to report.

This is what I was wondering---

I thought the terms were 12 games with the Sabres..playing 13 meant 6th round pick to Edmonton. If he was waived and claimed by another team then Buffalo was off the hook. for any compensation. Otherwise edmonton could claim him back play him for a couple of games then pocket the pick.

For him to go down to Rochester to play he has gone past 10 games so he needs to clear waivers. I think by the rules, I think he wasnt veteran protected from being sent down to rochester during the Olympic break.

Its quite posisble he gets brought back after the Olympics.

Omark doesn't suck. He gets paid to play a game. He'll get paid well by another club somewhere on this planet.

Omark isn't all that good for the NHL. No matter what line mates he had, he should have given the Sabres a solid undeniable reason to keep him. He didn't.

He showed small glimpses, but not near enough to get a longer look.

Good luck Omark. I'm sure you'll do awesome in another league and get paid well for playing a game.

I think with Omark its being in the right system, playing on a line and for a coach that fits what he wants and gives him the freedom to do what he can do.

At this point there is no harm in just letting him play with the offensive players Buffalo has.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Between all our UFAs, players being waived, how much slack he gets and having to hit cap floor next year...yeah I can see Leino being here next season too.

Yes because Nolan had him playing as a 3rd defenseman. Do you even watch the games? You seem to point out stats a lot but refuse to aknowledge circumstance.

Not only do I watch the games but I understand what I'm watching. He was not playing as a 3rd dman. They had the 3rd man very high between the dmen as an umbrella as part of their forecheck with the other 2 forwards aggressively forechecking. It was every line doing it not just Omark's. But you only noticed it when poor put upon Linus did it. And guess why he was usually the one on his line as the forward high? Because he was almost always beat into the zone by the faster forwards on his line, Ennis and Stafford.

Last edited:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Not only do I watch the games but I understand what I'm watching. He was not playing as a 3rd dman. They had the 3rd man very high between the dmen as an umbrella as part of their forecheck with the other 2 forwards aggressively forechecking. It was every line doing it not just Omark's. But you only noticed it when poor put upon Linus did it. And guess why he was usually the one on his line as the forward high? Because he was almost always beat into the zone by the faster forwards on his line, Ennis and Stafford.

Uhh no. Actually I pointed it out when they had Scott doing it too last game. I'm well aware of what its called its still a glorified 3rd defenseman. Not the proper way to use Omark.

Leino has played what 25+ games on the top 2 lines? Omark has played 3. Two of which he was playing as a glorified 3rd defensemen. How can anyone draw any conclusions from 3 games given those circumstances?

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I have a feeling it is just to get Omark game time during the break, so he can contribute after Moulson, Ott and Stafford are traded away. I find it amusing that 2 or 3 games are enough to judge Omark but 100 aren't enough to judge Foligno. :laugh:

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
It's just Omark, but there's some skill there with passing, puck handling, and he seems to have good touch dumping the puck and stuff. A bit frustrating that he never got a real shot while D'Agostini is in the top 2 lines often and can do nothing but skate pretty well.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It's just Omark, but there's some skill there with passing, puck handling, and he seems to have good touch dumping the puck and stuff. A bit frustrating that he never got a real shot while D'Agostini is in the top 2 lines often and can do nothing but skate pretty well.

Agree regarding Omark but I do think D'Agostini has earned his keep. He has no place on a good team, but right now he's a decent 3rd line guy for this team who by necessity plays all over the line-up. Omark is better than Leino straight up in my mind, that's what bothers me. Leino is here on a massive contract and Omark may as well have been a waiver-wire pick-up, so it's understandable, especially since Omark hasn't really played very well. I'm still not sold that this was intended as a permanent demotion rather than taking advantage of the fact he can play for Rochester during the Olympics. The games played with respect to the condition on the draft pick may just be coincidence.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
According to Swedish media, neither Omark or his agent is available for a comment so I guess there is a lot of thinking going on atm...

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I was excited when Nolan and Lafontaine were brought in as it was a breath of fresh air, but I'm quickly souring on Nolan and his hard work approach. It reminds me of when Lindy would send out Ellis with the goalie pulled. Hard work is sorely needed throughout the game, but at some point you need to give the guys who put the puck in the net the chance to do such. This rant had to do a little with omark. But I'm sick of seeing the McCormick and Ellis like players out in these situations. / rant.

Mr Orangeshirt

Dec 12, 2008
Xville,TN
I was excited when Nolan and Lafontaine were brought in as it was a breath of fresh air, but I'm quickly souring on Nolan and his hard work approach. It reminds me of when Lindy would send out Ellis with the goalie pulled. Hard work is sorely needed throughout the game, but at some point you need to give the guys who put the puck in the net the chance to do such. This rant had to do a little with omark. But I'm sick of seeing the McCormick and Ellis like players out in these situations. / rant.

But the object of the game isn't to score, silly. It's to get the top draft picks.

:sarcasm:

TheWarriorSwe

Sep 14, 2013
Stavanger
Well if he doesn't report, we have our 6th round pick back. If he does report, it increases our chance at a Calder Cup.
He will 99% not report i think. Omark has suprised in the past thou. The only way he reports is if this was a move to get him games during the olympic break.

But even if this is the plan, i still doubt Nolan would inform Omark it is. And if thats the case he is 100% going to khl/sel.

As with any playmaker in the world, it takes time to adjust to a system and teammates. Im not making up excuses quite frankly Omark didnt do enough and he did get a few good chances. But with the current state of the team atleast i hoped he would have given a bit more time.

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
Per Sal M Roch D&C
#Sabres waived forward Linus Omark the other day. He cleared waivers, but won't play for #Amerks until after All-Star break.

So that would be Friday.

Ron C.

Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
Unless Omark suits up in two more NHL games this year, the Sabres keep their 6th round pick (from what I understand). Linus showed some good puck skills and was decent at passing in the offensive zone, but he was easily pushed off the puck. I don't see him as either a top 6 player or a bottom 6 player in this league. The KHL is most likely his best bet.

Karate Johnson*

The outcomes, as in wins and losses, aren't important this year....

What Nolan is doing is creating a culture of accountability.

He's playing the guys that give a 200ft effort, regardless of situation, because if we get beat because of a bad mismatch it doesn't matter, because it's irrelevant if we win or lose.

The goal is to use the only thing a team can to motivate a player.... Ice time.

We have the luxury of being able to use this ice time reward system extensively because there is no expectation of winning.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
Congratulations. Not many players get the opportunity to suck on the two worst teams in the league in the same season.

He has an interview with Schoppe and Bulldog a few days ago and they asked if he was told that he needed to work on his defense. They asked 3 or 4 different ways. At first i thought that he didn't understand what the question was, but by the end I had the impression that he actually didn't know what defense meant.

In all honesty, nothing against him. He just isn't that interesting of a player to me. Weak effort, small, and slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad