Waived: Linus Omark

Status
Not open for further replies.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Wasn't given a fair chance and when he had a chance he looked good. My guess is this gets him some playing time during the Olympics.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Omark wasn't that good... but he wasn't terrible... kind of frustrating that he didn't get much of a chance given the type of season and roster we have...

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I didn't see an NHL future for him. Nice passing, but lacking in most other areas. He'll really help Rochester, though. He was tearing it up in the AHL before getting his shot with Buffalo.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Felt he should have been given top 6 minutes for the rest of the year to see if maybe something would click. For his size, he doesn't have the speed that he needs to be competitive.

Also, is it possible they were dicking him around in the lineup so other NHL teams don't claim him and he can get some AHL time?

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Nice vision and passing, but lacks every other part of the game. Not terribly fast, gets knocked off the puck with ease, isn't very competitive for the puck, doesn't have size.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Conditions for the 6th round draft pick have not been met yet.

If he is claimed and plays at least another 2 games with another NHL team, we will need to send the 6th rounder to Edmonton.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
You guys are all acting like the sabres are giving up on him already. For all you know the plan could be to recall him after the olympics/trade deadline, assuming he clears waivers.

In any case:

Edmonton's compensation for Linus Omark: If he plays 15 NHL games this season, with the Buffalo Sabres or anyone else, it's a sixth-round draft pick in June. If he falls short of that yet re-signs with Buffalo before the draft, it's still a sixth rounder in June. If he re-signs after the draft, it's a sixth rounder in 2015. Memorize this, there will be a test.

Omark has played 13 games with the sabres and 1 with Edm before the trade. So at least for now, we still have our 6th round pick.

Could Edm claim him off waivers and play him a game or 2, and then end up with Omark and our 6th rounder?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
You guys are all acting like the sabres are giving up on him already. For all you know the plan could be to recall him after the olympics/trade deadline, assuming he clears waivers.

In any case:

Omark has played 13 games with the sabres and 1 with Edm before the trade. So at least for now, we still have our 6th round pick.

Could Edm claim him off waivers and play him a game or 2, and then end up with Omark and our 6th rounder?

I wondered at the time if Edmonton's game(s) would count towards the total.

Rebirth

Oct 20, 2012
My guess is that the Islanders claim him just to get even after the Moulson trade :)

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Omark has played 13 games with the Sabres and 1 with Edm before the trade. So at least for now, we still have our 6th round pick.

I guess they could? They're in 29th place, giving them first dibs on the waiver claim. Will they? Depends on how cheap/spiteful MacT wants to look in the eyes of the other 29 GM's. I don't think getting the 6th/glorified 5th rounder for free would be worth it to look like an arsehole to everyone else. I dunno.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

In any case:

I'd feel fairly safe in assuming it's 15 games with the Sabres.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I'd feel fairly safe in assuming it's 15 games with the Sabres.

Edmonton's compensation for Linus Omark: If he plays 15 NHL games this season, with the Buffalo Sabres or anyone else, it's a sixth-round draft pick in June. If he falls short of that yet re-signs with Buffalo before the draft, it's still a sixth rounder in June. If he re-signs after the draft, it's a sixth rounder in 2015. Memorize this, there will be a test.

This quote was from the Omark trade thread. There was a link to the article it came from as well

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
This quote was from the Omark trade thread. There was a link to the article it came from as well

I'd like to see that article. If so, LaFontaine got rooked for a guy who had been waived earlier in the season. I mean, I see why Edmonton wanted to put that in: in case Buffalo played him 14 games and then tried sending him to the minors to save their pick. Oh well, it's a 6th round pick.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I'd like to see that article. If so, LaFontaine got rooked for a guy who had been waived earlier in the season. I mean, I see why Edmonton wanted to put that in: in case Buffalo played him 14 games and then tried sending him to the minors to save their pick. Oh well, it's a 6th round pick.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/12/oil-change-inevitable-in-edmonton.html

The condition is basically "If Omark becomes a useful player". The sabres still have to give up their 6th if he is re-signed after the season, even if he is sent to Roch now and doesn't return this season. If he plays more than 15 games, he's a "useful player". If he is resigned by the sabres, the sabres must consider him a "useful player". Giving up a 6th round pick for a 13 game tryout of a player (if he is claimed and plays more games) isn't exactly "getting rooked" anyways. 13 games of Omark is more than a lot of 6th round picks end up playing in the NHL.

Here's the source post from the other thread by the way:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=76736603&postcount=221

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/12/oil-change-inevitable-in-edmonton.html

The condition is basically "If Omark becomes a useful player". The sabres still have to give up their 6th if he is re-signed after the season, even if he is sent to Roch now and doesn't return this season. If he plays more than 15 games, he's a "useful player". If he is resigned by the sabres, the sabres must consider him a "useful player". Giving up a 6th round pick for a 13 game tryout of a player (if he is claimed and plays more games) isn't exactly "getting rooked" anyways. 13 games of Omark is more than a lot of 6th round picks end up playing in the NHL.

Here's the source post from the other thread by the way:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=76736603&postcount=221

One could suggest that it is still ambiguous as it could mean 15 total NHL games period or 15 total NHL games from the time of the trade to after. Certainly the kind of thing that keeps me up at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad