GDT: 'Ling @ 'Tols. 3pm. Verizon Center. 4.14.2014

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Such a fitting end to the season -- a shootout loss where we can't put a puck in the net when we need to.

Brouwer on the powerplay was hilarious. He had like 4 A+ chances and ****ed them all up.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Ovie, you have ONE nuclear-grade weapon: your shot.

It's not your hands.

It's your shot.

Thusly, please do not attempt to go thru the legs again in SO. Especially when hockey-crazy Montreal is watching w/ bated breath because their home-ice depends on it.

Carry on.

Pretty obvious they couldn't care less about that shootout. Kuznetsov trying the Datsyukian deke, Ovechkin going through the legs.

Meh. Can't blame them. During the season, though, I agree with you. Shoot the damn puck in the SO.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Ovie, you have ONE nuclear-grade weapon: your shot.

It's not your hands.

It's your shot.

Thusly, please do not attempt to go thru the legs again in SO. Especially when hockey-crazy Montreal is watching w/ bated breath because their home-ice depends on it.

Carry on.

Pretty sure Ovi scored a goal this season juggling the puck from BEHIND the net and scored without it touching the ice. But anyway he doesn't have good hands right....

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Last one turn off the lights please.

Fitting way to end this ******** season.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Pretty obvious they couldn't care less about that shootout. Kuznetsov trying the Datsyukian deke, Ovechkin going through the legs.

Meh. Can't blame them. During the season, though, I agree with you. Shoot the damn puck in the SO.

Well, if sticking it to the team that embarrassed us in the playoffs 3 seasons ago isn't motivation to actually try in the SO...

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Goal scoring in this game.

3g60379116.gif

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Well, if sticking it to the team that embarrassed us in the playoffs 3 seasons ago isn't motivation to actually try in the SO...

Aren't there something like 2 players left from that team on the Lightning?

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012

"sticking it to them" by giving them one less home game? Meh.

Who cares, honestly. Season's over. Now let's just wait for the day where Oates is fired.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Pretty sure Ovi scored a goal this season juggling the puck from BEHIND the net and scored without it touching the ice. But anyway he doesn't have good hands right....

Tiger Woods can juggle a golf ball with a putter, how has his putting been working for him recently? I remember that goal and it was pretty, but part of achieving acclaim for a skill is doing it consistently. OV is, unfortunately, a middle of the pack puck handler. He was better than average a few seasons ago but has deteriorated some in recent years. SO percentage certainly isn't a good indicator of a player's value, but it does tell a little but about hands.

I don't know, maybe his ES game will improve with some competence behind the bench.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Aren't there something like 2 players left from that team on the Lightning?

When I look at a team, I don't just see the players. I will hate the Penguins even if Eric Fehr, Jason Chimera, and Joel Ward man their 3rd line next year. I guess that's the difference between fans and players. The city of Tampa Bay has bragging rights over us via that white washing and the fact that they have a SC win in their shorter existence. To me, I would have taken pleasure out of giving Montreal home ice advantage.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
When I look at a team, I don't just see the players. I will hate the Penguins even if Eric Fehr, Jason Chimera, and Joel Ward man their 3rd line next year. I guess that's the difference between fans and players. The city of Tampa Bay has bragging rights over us via that white washing and the fact that they have a SC win in their shorter existence. To me, I would have taken pleasure out of giving Montreal home ice advantage.

Montreal has a deeper sting IMO they screwed this franchise with Halak and them running us in 7 a few years back we stuck it to that fan base today:sarcasm:

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Tiger Woods can juggle a golf ball with a putter, how has his putting been working for him recently? I remember that goal and it was pretty, but part of achieving acclaim for a skill is doing it consistently. OV is, unfortunately, a middle of the pack puck handler. He was better than average a few seasons ago but has deteriorated some in recent years. SO percentage certainly isn't a good indicator of a player's value, but it does tell a little but about hands.

I don't know, maybe his ES game will improve with some competence behind the bench.

The one thing that OV has yet to have is a proven NHL coach behind the bench. Someone who will actually coach him and make him do the work in his own end from the very first practice. He doesn't have to be a Selke candidate but he does need to be competent and give the effort.

Liberati0n*

Yes, you can't lay everything on coaches. At a certain point, a guy either performs or doesn't. Most of this year, Holtby didn't.

Most of this year? Honestly, how many games have you watched or followed? A large majority of the year, he performed very well.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Looks like I didn't miss much. Fitting end to a ****** season, with yet another loss when scoring 2 or less.

Here's hoping there's plenty of drama this week...

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Most of this year? Honestly, how many games have you watched or followed? A large majority of the year, he performed very well.

Unfortunately i watched 70-75 of them. So i guess we just have honest difference of opinion. I remember his confidence being rock-bottom and him helping us lose, not win games, and I remember robust debates on these boards about whether his struggles were his own fault or those of the coaches, and I remember Halak getting almost every start when he arrived. But maybe you're right. Maybe holtby 'performed very well a large majority of the year.' Seems weird that all the other drama would have occurred if he had a good year, but maybe it's just those 7-12 games i didn't see. Maybe he was lights-out in those ;)

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
You don't necessarily have to be great at your position. But you need to give a constant effort.

That's a major problem with the team... it isn't always there. There's never anything left in the tank at the end of the road. And, it doesn't seem to matter who the players or coaches are.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
montreal embarrassment was bigger.

I don't see Montreal as an embarrassment. Huge disappointment yes, but not am embarrassment. We were clearly the better team. Tampa, though, dominated us.

Liberati0n*

Unfortunately i watched 70-75 of them. So i guess we just have honest difference of opinion. I remember his confidence being rock-bottom and him helping us lose, not win games, and I remember robust debates on these boards about whether his struggles were his own fault or those of the coaches, and I remember Halak getting almost every start when he arrived. But maybe you're right. Maybe holtby 'performed very well a large majority of the year.' Seems weird that all the other drama would have occurred if he had a good year, but maybe it's just those 7-12 games i didn't see. Maybe he was lights-out in those ;)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474651&season=20132014&view=log

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
You don't necessarily have to be great at your position. But you need to give a constant effort.

That's a major problem with the team... it isn't always there. There's never anything left in the tank at the end of the road. And, it doesn't seem to matter who the players or coaches are.

I see this as a direct indictment of the coaching staffs and because he hired them, the GM. since before the rebuild, GMGM has brought in 5 rookie coaches when an experienced hand was needed. If he couldn't get one of the proven coaches to come to this team then that should earn his immediate termination. If the article that came out the other day is to be believed then the only thing that can turn this franchise around is a total flushing motion from everyone not in ownership and maybe even that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad