Line Combos: Lineup if Playoffs Start in August

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Take this with a truckload of salt but.....if so, good.

Liked his work on the Marlies this season. Good first year adjusting to NA. Nice hands, shot and moves for a big man. His time to make a stab at the lineup is next year, but could be a good option on bottom 6 to cover injuries during the playoffs.

Reactions: kb

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Thoughts on PP lineups?

Nylander-Tavares-Matthews
Marner-Rielly

Mikheyev-Spezza-Hyman
Dermott-Barrie?

Maybe we will see Korkshov/Robertson/Engvall get some minutes on the 2nd unit.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Thoughts on PP lineups?

Marner-Rielly

Mikheyev-Spezza-Hyman
Dermott-Barrie?

Nylander - Tavares - Matthews
Marner - Rielly

Kapanen - Spezza - Mikheyev
Barrie - Kerfoot

Kerf > Hyman since Hyman is a staple on the PK and gets top 6 minutes

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Thoughts on PP lineups?

Marner-Rielly

Mikheyev-Spezza-Hyman
Dermott-Barrie?

I would love to see:

Marner-Rielly

Hyman-Spezza-Robertson
Kerfoot-Barrie

Reactions: meefer

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I believe this will be the D in the playoffs:

Muzzin - Holl
Rielly - Ceci
Dermott - Barrie

There were surprisingly few games this season where all 6 were healthy.

I think coach likes Reilly - Barrie but we will see...

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think hyman earned himself that PP spot. He and spezza are the only 2nd unit guys that have produced this year. Kappy and Kerfoot haven't been able to do anything on the PP so far. Mikheyev could get his first shot at the PP ahead of one of them.

2 advantages of dressing Robertson for these playoffs. Would be a beauty on PP2, and would move GOAT to the press box.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Robertson Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Engvall Spezza Clifford
Thoughts?
Reasoning for Robertson on 2nd line instead of 3rd where most people have him, is because I think he would be much more effective in a top 6 roll where he could be fed the puck and use his shot more instead of being in a checking roll on 3rd line.

Reactions: shanwhatplan

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
^ I see what you're getting at but Mikheyev will be in the top 6 ahead of Robertson, he absolutely earned it.

Plus, it would be a giant leap of faith giving a rookie his ever NHL exposure in a short "playoff" series on such a crucial line. Not going to happen. Robertson looks like he'll be a keeper and Leafs fans are rightly excited about his potentional but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Completely agree with you didn't think it would happen just what I wouldn't mind seeing.. Can't wait for these games to start up!

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
^ I see what you're getting at but Mikheyev will be in the top 6 ahead of Robertson, he absolutely earned it.

Plus, it would be a giant leap of faith giving a rookie his ever NHL exposure in a short "playoff" series on such a crucial line. Not going to happen. Robertson looks like he'll be a keeper and Leafs fans are rightly excited about his potentional but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

You don't have to have 100% one or the other, give him a few looks with our stars and see if he can still find time and space for his shot. He has enough of a grinder mentality that he won't be hurting the line too much if it doesn't work out offensively right away.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As much as I want to see Robertson on a line with Marner, I don’t think that will happen as Keefe will most likely use JT line as the shutdown line against opposing 1st line. Ideally it should be Kap and Soup as they are pretty much the best defensive wingers on the team. But it will most likely be Marner and Soup.
Would be interesting to see if Keefe is willing to insert either Willie or Marner in the 3rd line with Kerfoot or Spezza and Engvall or Robertson and create 3 really solid lines.
Hyman/AM/Willie or Marner
Soup/JT/Kap
Robertson/Spezza/Willie or Marner
Clifford/Kerfoot/Engvall

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Do we only get 1 exhibition game? How are we supposed to gauge who plays when it comes to bubble players if not everyone gets to play?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

I'm not sure why it's saying 503 Service Unvailable... it's an article on Sportsnet, from Feb.

Head coach Sheldon Keefe announced Friday the 25-year-old winger requires surgery on his right knee and will be out of the lineup at least eight weeks. That was announced Feb 14th. Eight weeks was April 10th.

I'm not saying he'll be back in the lineup, or not, but we are past 10 weeks now, and no chance of play/practice for another 9-10 weeks... so an injury that was said eight weeks minimum, you'd think would be good to go at 20 weeks.... plus, it would be good to show he isn't affected by the injury, if he can play well... in case we need to trade him.

I recall Dubas saying that realistically, it's 6 months for a full recovery.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I recall Dubas saying that realistically, it's 6 months for a full recovery.

Yes, I had the initial report at the time, and since then it was pointed out that the recovery was going to be longer(which I'd missed). (I think after I posted that, somewhere in this thread, someone else had corrected me as well)

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Thoughts on PP lineups?

Marner-Rielly

Mikheyev-Spezza-Hyman
Dermott-Barrie?

Reilly is gun shy and predictable on the PP from my perspective. He has some Kaberle DNA when it comes to shooting. Barrie is on the 1st unit because he is far more aggressive shooting and also quicker decisions moving the puck from the top. Imo, Gardiner ran a better PP than Reilly.

If Robertson makes the squad, he probably would be experimented with on that 2nd PP unit with the shot he has.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Clifford, Spezza & Kapanen have been practicing together. Keefe seemed to like Clifford on the third line. With Kerfoot being used as a placeholder for Matthews right now i wonder if well see:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Tavares - Marner
Clifford - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Engvall - Gauthier - Spezza/Robertson - Spezza - Engvall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad