Pre-Game Talk: Lines vs. Hurricanes

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island
Pretty boring game for the most part. I liked what I saw from Cizikas. He was all over the ice tonight and really dazzled on that goal. The "SNL" line was tons of fun to watch - a lot of fluidity to their game. I thought Lee had a lot of nice opportunities. The kid always finds a way to the net. Brennan was a nice surprise as well. I saw some nice point plays and passing from the kid. Rienhart definitely looked comfortable on the ice as well. I love that low shot of his for deflections in front. Conacher really brought down the third line all together. They could not gel at all. I really hope he doesn't find a spot on the roster like PMB and Regin did last year.

Last edited:

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Conacher reminded me of everything I hated about Comeau tonight. Bad penalties and circling with the puck.

He looked pretty average tonight. Mind you so did most of the Isles. I think the isles will end up paying Conacher a lot of $ to play in the AHL.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Not a fan of Conacher. He gets overpowered easily and doesn't have enough skill to make up for it in my opinion.

Loved watching the Lee-Nelson-Strome line. Defiantly the best line tonight.

I thought Brennan had a great game. Created some scoring chances and layed out some big hits while playing solid defense. Wouldn't mind him on the bottom pairing with Hickey to start the season.

Not Halak's best game but our top two defenders weren't playing and we took a few penalties. Can't really judge his performance.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I love Vis but he's getting pretty "up there", I think Brennan looked capable of stepping in and replacing him. It will be interesting to see how things shake out on the Blue line.
Also giving Grabo and Tavares more time to get on the same wavelength could definitely produce results...I think to many people auto-penned Brock into that 1st line. I loved Grabo when he was with the Leafs.

So you want to replace our only veteran dman, who happens to be our best puck mover and PP qb with a guy who has barely been able to crack NHL lineups even though he tore up the AHL?

It's almost as if you completely blocked out literally the EXACT SAME THING from last year.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Meh...I don't know why this team cannot beat the Canes. But whatever, it's pre-season
If this happens the first 2 games of the regular season, then color me worried...

Also, while I don't think this was a great game for Halak, he wasn't bad. 3 outta the 4 goals really weren't on him. 1st one was a knuckleball that kinda handcuffed him. Second was a blocked shot that came loose to an open guy in front. Third was a slapper through a screen on a 5 on 3, and he made about 4 saves on that same PP sequence prior to that goal. He stopped that pseudo-breakaway which probably woulda been a goal on Nabby or Poulin last year. The last goal was the only one where I'd put the blame on Halak. But I blame those stupid white CCM pads he has more. I hate all white gear!

Last edited:

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Brennan, Okposo and cizikas were the best 3 players in the 3rd (all I got to watch).

Oh and Pokka looked atrocious all the time.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Brennan, Okposo and cizikas were the best 3 players in the 3rd (all I got to watch).

Oh and Pokka looked atrocious all the time.

I thought Reinhart had a rough game as well, despite the assist. Thought the kid line was the best. Staple stated that Cappy said they hadn't been practicing special teams (this was during the Ottawa games), and I tweeted back, this is why Cappy is a horrible coach. One of the biggest weaknesses of this team was specialty teams, especially penalty kills, this team should be practicing killing penalties constantly. They are awful at it.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I thought Reinhart had a rough game as well, despite the assist. Thought the kid line was the best. Staple stated that Cappy said they hadn't been practicing special teams (this was during the Ottawa games), and I tweeted back, this is why Cappy is a horrible coach. One of the biggest weaknesses of this team was specialty teams, especially penalty kills, this team should be practicing killing penalties constantly. They are awful at it.

Coaching is Isles biggest weakness. I don't like to lose games but will enjoy to see Snow and Capuano stumble again till everybody knows how competent they are. Not much time left till the start. Of course I expect the worst, there is a reason why both wouldn't have their jobs on any other NHL team. Nothing will change with Cancer Snow at the helm.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

I don't know why, but all my excitement for the year was pretty zapped after reading this.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I don't know why, but all my excitement for the year was pretty zapped after reading this.

Last season Cizikas played more PK than Grabner and Martin played more PK than Bailey, there must be a reason why the coaching staff prefer worser options. It took long time till they used Clutterbuck on PK when everybody else knew that he's good on PK.

It doesn't matter if Isles have better players when the coaching staff use worser options. I'm not excited either, it's so frustrating.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
LOL at Bellemore taking three consecutive penalties. :facepalm: at us for not converting on any of them. I though our PP looked weak overall. PK looked similar to last year which is scary.

I liked Nelson, Strome, Grabovski, and Okposo.

JT looked rusty, and Halak looked a bit dull. Ness got exposed a few times. Reinhart got himself into trouble early on but I thought he settled down nicely.

I thought TJ played well but got himself into some trouble by trying too hard. If he can simplify his game and play within the system I think he could be good addition, especially if we lose Lubo.

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
I dont know about you guys but the main thing i gathered from the game was Tj Brennan can most def make our roster. I was skeptical when we frst took him.

Yesterday he showed how good he was at cycling the puck. not only that but he playe da physical game, and played solid d. the only downside i saw was him getting caught out of position. In my opinion that is common for a young puck moving d man.

Wouldnt mind seeing him out there opening night.

Halak didnt impress and i thought grabo had some bad giveaways. Martin looked a little lost as usual and conacher didnt play great. However i did enjoy watching Skille. Maybe he can steal a spot

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Special teams are going to be the killer if we can't get it together. I think there will be a lot more penalties called this season so they better get it figured out. It will take Reinhart a while before he's ready to PK in the NHL and I don't think we can afford to throw him out there early in the season if he makes the team.

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL
Last season Cizikas played more PK than Grabner and Martin played more PK than Bailey, there must be a reason why the coaching staff prefer worser options. It took long time till they used Clutterbuck on PK when everybody else knew that he's good on PK.

It doesn't matter if Isles have better players when the coaching staff use worser options. I'm not excited either, it's so frustrating.

:banghead: I hate when people use this "word". Makes my brain hurt. Just a pet-peeve thing.

On topic, I am not quite sure I understand the concept of a coaching staff bypassing special teams in practice. Good special teams can make bad teams competitive, and vice versa.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
I dont know about you guys but the main thing i gathered from the game was Tj Brennan can most def make our roster. I was skeptical when we frst took him.

Yesterday he showed how good he was at cycling the puck. not only that but he playe da physical game, and played solid d. the only downside i saw was him getting caught out of position. In my opinion that is common for a young puck moving d man.

Wouldnt mind seeing him out there opening night.

Halak didnt impress and i thought grabo had some bad giveaways. Martin looked a little lost as usual and conacher didnt play great. However i did enjoy watching Skille. Maybe he can steal a spot

So did Brennan look like Brian Strait? Sounds like it by the way you described him.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
People need to calm down. Have you guys ever played a preseason game in any sport at a competitive level?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
:banghead: I hate when people use this "word". Makes my brain hurt. Just a pet-peeve thing.

On topic, I am not quite sure I understand the concept of a coaching staff bypassing special teams in practice. Good special teams can make bad teams competitive, and vice versa.

Sorry, didn't hear english in my baby time.

I don't understand what this coaching staff does either. Not talking with Bailey (I even don't mention Nino), not helping Grabner to score, the whole goalie disaster, doing the same mistakes again and again, playing Reasoner to start the playoffs and so much else. It makes me ill and it's going on for years now.

The bad thing is, there is no change.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
So did Brennan look like Brian Strait? Sounds like it by the way you described him.
Not even close. Strait very rarely pinches and rarely gets caught out of position because of it. They are two completely different players. That's why they will probably be paired together at the start of the season.

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL
Sorry, didn't hear english in my baby time.

I don't understand what this coaching staff does either. Not talking with Bailey (I even don't mention Nino), not helping Grabner to score, the whole goalie disaster, doing the same mistakes again and again, playing Reasoner to start the playoffs and so much else. It makes me ill and it's going on for years now.

The bad thing is, there is no change.

No worries, like I said, it's just a pet peeve. :thumbu:

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
Coaching is Isles biggest weakness. I don't like to lose games but will enjoy to see Snow and Capuano stumble again till everybody knows how competent they are. Not much time left till the start. Of course I expect the worst, there is a reason why both wouldn't have their jobs on any other NHL team. Nothing will change with Cancer Snow at the helm.

I agree with you 100%! The coaching staff is the weakest part of the Isles, ESPN ranks their coaches as 118th out of 122th. The Isles special teams didn't look so special last night, in fact the Mausoleum's clock worked better than the special teams. After the game I heard Fred Flintstone (aka Jack Crapunao) opined that they haven't worked on the power play and it showed. As for the PK, it looked disorganized in allowing a weak team like the Canes' PP look like the 1970's Canadians!

I wonder if Crapunao realizes that he needs to get off the fast start or he is gone by Halloween or Thanksgiving? He should reduced/declutter the roster down to opening day (about 22-3 players) and send the rest to the minor league camp or back to the juniors. He has to stop wasting time on the bubble players like Conacher, Ness and Skille.

Friday's game should be the opening day starting lineup.

ps: The Isles had the chutzpah to announce that the attendance was 9,888 (60.7% full). I was there, the stands looked more than 60% empty. Teams like the Flyer$ and the Ranger$ don't do bush league stunts like fudging the attendance numbers. The Isles should have a big push last night to fill up the place, have tickets deals, bulk ticket giveaways to groups like churches or the Boy/Girl Scouts, a promotion or two, maybe tie-in a fanfest with Islanders greats, anything, something! Plus the county upped the parking on the north parking lot up to $15, who do they think they are? The Mets!

Last edited:

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I'm thrilled with how last night and the preseason has gone so far. Why? Because no one has gotten hurt. IMO, that's all we should be worried about when it comes to meaningless preseason games where teams play with 50% at best effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad