Khudobin

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Interesting.....if they click do you keep them together? Or is it better to spread out the offense? I know it's preseason and the time to experiment, but if there is immediate chemistry could prove to be some difficult decisions for Cappy and we all know how horrible he is with line mixing and matching.

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
Grabovski with Tavares and KO is interesting. I know they try to mix it up pretty good in preseason to get an idea of not just who makes the team and who goes to Bridge, but also line combos. I'm surprised they don't have another vet on D really. I hope they play Griffin in as many situations as possible. I just wish Hammer/DeHaan were in there to help support the kid a bit...it's only pre-season but still--Reinhart and Pokka doesn't sound remotely close to a potential opening game pairing.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Reinhart and Pokka doesn't sound remotely close to a potential opening game pairing.

You haven't talked to blink man yet, I see.

Just kidding blinky!

Its what the preseason is all about. There's also a legitimate chance you see Reinhart and pokka together in Bridgeport. Especially if the isles slide rule pulock and send him to Brandon (still a real possibility whether folks want to believe it or not)

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
You haven't talked to blink man yet, I see.

Just kidding blinky!

Its what the preseason is all about. There's also a legitimate chance you see Reinhart and pokka together in Bridgeport. Especially if the isles slide rule pulock and send him to Brandon (still a real possibility whether folks want to believe it or not)

Okay, I see the relevance when you say that it is a possible D tandem in Bridge. I am in line with the thinking of the majority that see Reinhart staying up here. Pokka is definitely Bridgeport material--to build his game and strength. I'd just like to see him playing with Hammer (right handed shot??)--I think DeHaan is capable of being the anchor of his D pairing. Hammer mentored him well--now time to mento Rienhart. I don't see Pulock going back to Brandon either.

-------
Is this game on t.v.??

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Grabovski with Tavares and KO is interesting. I know they try to mix it up pretty good in preseason to get an idea of not just who makes the team and who goes to Bridge, but also line combos. I'm surprised they don't have another vet on D really. I hope they play Griffin in as many situations as possible. I just wish Hammer/DeHaan were in there to help support the kid a bit...it's only pre-season but still--Reinhart and Pokka doesn't sound remotely close to a potential opening game pairing.

That might be the reason they aren't there. I feel like they're giving him a real opportunity to make the team, and they don't want to make it easy for him. If he shines without that safety net behind him it makes it a lot easier to pencil him into the opening night lineup than if deMonic were there to help him along.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Interesting.....if they click do you keep them together? Or is it better to spread out the offense? I know it's preseason and the time to experiment, but if there is immediate chemistry could prove to be some difficult decisions for Cappy and we all know how horrible he is with line mixing and matching.

I think you could swap Grabo and Nelson, then I guess you'd move Strome to play with Nelson. Then you'd have Bailey, Grabner, or Kulemin to play on the RW. Whichever doesn't get the spot, they'd play with Nielsen on the shutdown line.

That is the 2nd line I envision for the near future

I'd love to see it.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
That might be the reason they aren't there. I feel like they're giving him a real opportunity to make the team, and they don't want to make it easy for him. If he shines without that safety net behind him it makes it a lot easier to pencil him into the opening night lineup than if deMonic were there to help him along.

HAHA! That's awesome!!:handclap:

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
Jack Skille?

Why are the Isles wasting valuable pre-season space/time on a marginally productive minor leaguer like Jack Skille, who is as useful as Colon McDonald.

If Skille plays any time on the Island, Buffalo is going to very happy team!

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Why are the Isles wasting valuable pre-season space/time on a marginally productive minor leaguer like Jack Skille, who is as useful as Colon McDonald.

Nothing wrong with competition and/or depth!

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Nothing wrong with competition and/or depth!

Jordan Staal breaks his leg in a preseason game, which is another addition atop of a preseason with a looooooot of injuries. Most of the ones around the league are relatively minor, but to major players. This league is a lot about health, more now than ever.

Depth is key and we're building it. We've gone from arguing about AHL tweeners on our 2nd line to which AHL tweeners will be waived. It's good these guys are adding pressure even if it is just as a motivational tool. And whatever happens after decisions and waivers, we will still have depth that is vastly improved.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA

I don't know what you have against Skille but here's my deal. If he plays in 3 games in Preseason, and scores 3 goals. I'm taking him over Cmac. Yeah, it's preseason, but I want the most productive players who are going to give their heart every night. So maybe he won't work and it was a fluke, but if he wins the spot he wins it. I want players who want to win this year. No if, ands, or buts. You want to win and you show it in every game and every shift, then I'll be happy with you. Let Skille prove his name is appropriate.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I don't know what you have against Skille but here's my deal. If he plays in 3 games in Preseason, and scores 3 goals. I'm taking him over Cmac. Yeah, it's preseason, but I want the most productive players who are going to give their heart every night. So maybe he won't work and it was a fluke, but if he wins the spot he wins it. I want players who want to win this year. No if, ands, or buts. You want to win and you show it in every game and every shift, then I'll be happy with you. Let Skille prove his name is appropriate.

Skille is a very strong, very fast skater who plays a hard, physical forecheck. At 216 pounds he is more than a pest. His problem has always been he has not had the scoring touch to match his #7 overall draft position, but as a 4th line grinder with that speed he is more useful than CMac. besides, he has a two way contract and will be paid $300k if he has to play in Bridgeport (although he will have to clear waivers both ways). He has a chance to take CMac or MM17s spot on 4th line. I like what he can bring at the bottom of the lineup.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Depth is so important
That's why I'm an advocate for not waiving any player that we might lose. We got killed last season because we had poor NHL depth on D. That's why Reinhart should go to BP, at least until we see how our D shake out.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn

I have nothing personally against Jack Skille, but for the last 20 years I have seen too many Jack Skilles and Colon McDonalds stink up Islander rosters at the expense young players who may or may not be possible NHL players, but we already know that Skille is at best a second line minor leaguer. I'm tried of a Colon McDonald playing over a Nino Niederreiter.

This team needs to get off to a good start because if they don't, we get to hear Gary Biteme saying "With the 1st pick of the 2015 Draft acquired from the New York Islanders, The Buffalo Sabres have selected from the Erie Otters, Center Connor McDavid!"...........

Last edited:

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I have nothing personally against Jack Skille, but for the last 20 years I have seen too many Jack Skilles and Colon McDonalds stink up Islander rosters at the expense young players who may or may not be possible NHL players, but we already know that Skille is at best a second line minor leaguer. I'm tried of a Colon McDonald playing over a Nino Niederreiter.

This team needs to get off to a good start because if they don't, we get to Gary Bittme say "With the 1st pick of the 2015 Draft acquired from the New York Islanders, The Buffalo Sabres have selected from the Erie Otters, Center Connor McDavid!"...........

intentional? :D

funny, either way...

Skille is a low risk option, with decent potential. possibly a better McDonald?

whether he makes it or not, i doubt that it will mean a difference of 10 spots in the standings for this team.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

Skille isn't going to be in the opening day lineup.But does it really matter that he's basically playing in place of Kulemin? I'm really not worried about him needing to develop chemistry with Grabovski. As long as we have Lee, Nelson and Strome in the lineup, we're not stunting any young forward's development. One of the camp bodies was going to play, so why not reward the one who played well on MOnday?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad