Pre-Game Talk: Lines vs. Hurricanes

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I thought the same thing about Strome and contact. He really laid back and retreated instead of being hit a few times in the corner. I'm hoping that he can be like Kane where he is able to use his noggin to keep him out of those areas, but hopefully he goes into them a bit more when the seasons starts. Last season he didn't like contact either (who does I guess) but he still stood in there to make the play.

yeah, maybe he will change, but for now, he looks much more comfortable as a center. i like the kid line, partly because he is with two guys that have good size, and can work the corners and cycle good. the only issue u see with Strome at C, is who is going to play RW?

Strome definitely played braver when he had CMc and MM on his wings.

i am liking Lee more and more. dare i say, he reminds me of Gillies. not a clone mind you, but similar. haven't seen his nasty side yet, but he doesn't appear to be intimidated in any way.

i think that Martin is more valuable than many here do, and don't think that he should be traded. he would be much better than Boulton as our 13th guy.

Boulton, CMc and Conacher to the minors. all three are UFA's next year. keep Strome, Lee, Bailey and Grabner.

i am just rambling. too early for coherent thoughts.. ;)

nc1972

Jun 3, 2006
Contact

Yes this was a concern of mine as I noticed last year Strome often would avoid making a play if it meant taking a hit. For all the accolades he receives from the hockey god's I find it peculiar that this hasn't been discussed before. That said I'm a fan and advocated picking him in the draft and hope that he can remedy that.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Yes this was a concern of mine as I noticed last year Strome often would avoid making a play if it meant taking a hit. For all the accolades he receives from the hockey god's I find it peculiar that this hasn't been discussed before. That said I'm a fan and advocated picking him in the draft and hope that he can remedy that.

Wasn't really exposed in juniors at all, and rarely in the ahl (though I did call it out several times last year that he refused to go to the high traffic areas).

His speed, positioning, IQ allowed Strome to get to the puck before his opponent without putting himself in danger too often in juniors. It also helped that he played with Ritchie in Niagara and Lee in Bridgeport, which is also something I mentioned several times over the last two years. He needs big grinders that have some hands to be successful in the NHL.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Wasn't really exposed in juniors at all, and rarely in the ahl (though I did call it out several times last year that he refused to go to the high traffic areas).

His speed, positioning, IQ allowed Strome to get to the puck before his opponent without putting himself in danger too often in juniors. It also helped that he played with Ritchie in Niagara and Lee in Bridgeport, which is also something I mentioned several times over the last two years. He needs big grinders that have some hands to be successful in the NHL.

I don't recall him avoiding contact late last season with the Islanders, but perhaps I didn't notice. Maybe because it's pre-season and he doesn't want to risk injury. Not necessarily the best approach as he's fighting for a roster spot, but maybe that's what is happening?

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I didn't see the game so I can't comment on what Strome did or didn't do. I can tell you from playing sports myself at some fairly competitive levels that there is often a "pucker factor" in the early going. The first time I stepped on the lacrosse field with a full audience surrounding me every part of my body seized up with tension, and I completely lost my game. I've never been particularly big or talented, and on most sports teams I had a Matt Martin agitator role. It would often take me a few games into the season before I relaxed enough to let that happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad