Pre-Game Talk: Lines vs. Hurricanes

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
ps: The Isles had the chutzpah to announce that the attendance was 9,888 (60.7% full). I was there, the stands looked more than 60% empty. Teams like the Flyer$ and the Ranger$ don't do bush league stunts like fudging the attendance numbers. The Isles should have a big push last night to fill up the place, have tickets deals, bulk ticket giveaways to groups like churches or the Boy/Girl Scouts, a promotion or two, maybe tie-in a fanfest with Islanders greats, anything, something! Plus the county upped the parking on the north parking lot up to $15, who do they think they are? The Mets!

No way that there was almost 10,000 there last night. I'd say 5-6000. And yeah the scoreboard not working was comical...

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I agree with you 100%! The coaching staff is the weakest part of the Isles, ESPN ranks their coaches as 118th out of 122th. The Isles special teams didn't look so special last night, in fact the Mausoleum's clock worked better than the special teams. After the game I heard Fred Flintstone (aka Jack Crapunao) opined that they haven't worked on the power play and it showed. As for the PK, it looked disorganized in allowing a weak team like the Canes' PP look like the 1970's Canadians!

I wonder if Crapunao realizes that he needs to get off the fast start or he is gone by Halloween or Thanksgiving? He should reduced/declutter the roster down to opening day (about 22-3 players) and send the rest to the minor league camp or back to the juniors. He has to stop wasting time on the bubble players like Conacher, Ness and Skille.

Friday's game should be the opening day starting lineup.

ps: The Isles had the chutzpah to announce that the attendance was 9,888 (60.7% full). I was there, the stands looked more than 60% empty. Teams like the Flyer$ and the Ranger$ don't do bush league stunts like fudging the attendance numbers. The Isles should have a big push last night to fill up the place, have tickets deals, bulk ticket giveaways to groups like churches or the Boy/Girl Scouts, a promotion or two, maybe tie-in a fanfest with Islanders greats, anything, something! Plus the county upped the parking on the north parking lot up to $15, who do they think they are? The Mets!

Yes! I know its 'just pre season'.... but everything about last night was atrocious. From the lack of game planing to the sloppy play, to the lousy ice, to the junior high non functioning game clock, to the fabricated attendance figures, to the jacked up prices for parking and concessions.

Its almost as if management and the town finally agreed on something, and that us to make the final season at nvmc as miserable an experience as possible.

I've been to the barn for islanders games well over a thousand times (and haven't lived close to long island in over 20 years). I have a lot of great memories there. The building still means something to me. Part of me is still disappointed they are moving to Brooklyn.

BUT, its a good thing for this franchise. Anyone that still attends games and thinks otherwise is completely delusional.

As for capuano (AND HIS ENTIRE STAFF). I'll keep beating the same drum. If they all got fired yesterday it wouldn't be soon enough. Just disgusting.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Yes! I know its 'just pre season'.... but everything about last night was atrocious. From the lack of game planing to the sloppy play, to the lousy ice, to the junior high non functioning game clock, to the fabricated attendance figures, to the jacked up prices for parking and concessions.

Its almost as if management and the town finally agreed on something, and that us to make the final season at nvmc as miserable an experience as possible.

I've been to the barn for islanders games well over a thousand times (and haven't lived close to long island in over 20 years). I have a lot of great memories there. The building still means something to me. Part of me is still disappointed they are moving to Brooklyn.

BUT, its a good thing for this franchise. Anyone that still attends games and thinks otherwise is completely delusional.

As for capuano (AND HIS ENTIRE STAFF). I'll keep beating the same drum. If they all got fired yesterday it wouldn't be soon enough. Just disgusting.

The only problem is, once this fool is fired, who is going to replace him?

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
So did Brennan look like Brian Strait? Sounds like it by the way you described him.

I guess a similar type player with a way better upside. I mean hes proved he can put the puck and the net and the kid has a straight(no pun) up cannon. he almost had PPG in ahl last year and he clocked over 100mph shot at the ahl skills competition.

Im not one of those people who have a a huge issue with strait. I just dont think he should come anywhere near a top 4 role.

Im not sure if you are just asking because you did not see the game or you meant something else. But he was for sure more noticeable yesterday than a Strait ever was

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

don_t_understand.jpg

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I guess a similar type player with a way better upside. I mean hes proved he can put the puck and the net and the kid has a straight(no pun) up cannon. he almost had PPG in ahl last year and he clocked over 100mph shot at the ahl skills competition.

Im not one of those people who have a a huge issue with strait. I just dont think he should come anywhere near a top 4 role.

Im not sure if you are just asking because you did not see the game or you meant something else. But he was for sure more noticeable yesterday than a Strait ever was
Brennan is never going to be a top 4 D-man either.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com

So many answers to this question. There's a lot of good coaches out there in the Hockey world that would love an NHL gig. Also it doesn't really matter who replaces this collection of imbeciles, it really cant get any worse. Top of my head I think Guy Boucher would be a steal. I'm not really a fan of his system (its a little boring) but it could work wonders with a roster like the Islanders currently have constructed. He's also young enough to relate with the young roster and I think his messages and principles would resonate more with the players. Another option, and this one wont be popular but I like Dan Bylsma as a coach. He's not as bad as most think, the Penguins have been overrated for years, they aren't that deep and Bylsma didn't have much flexibility with that roster (and goalie). He's a much better coach than most fans realize.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
So many answers to this question. There's a lot of good coaches out there in the Hockey world that would love an NHL gig. Also it doesn't really matter who replaces this collection of imbeciles, it really cant get any worse. Top of my head I think Guy Boucher would be a steal. I'm not really a fan of his system (its a little boring) but it could work wonders with a roster like the Islanders currently have constructed. He's also young enough to relate with the young roster and I think his messages and principles would resonate more with the players. Another option, and this one wont be popular but I like Dan Bylsma as a coach. He's not as bad as most think, the Penguins have been overrated for years, they aren't that deep and Bylsma didn't have much flexibility with that roster (and goalie). He's a much better coach than most fans realize.

Bylsma would be an upgrade too. It's weird because I generally don't notice coaches doing dumb things but Cappy puts on a clinic.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
If the isles are below NHL .500 by Octobers end, even if its only 1 game under, the entire coaching staff should be shown the door. It's that simple. Will that happen? probably not...but it should be the obvious choice

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester

I didnt see the game. Only seen highlights of him but I wasnt impressed with those either. What current NHLer does he compare to? I just dont understand how he scored all those points. Am I getting fooled again like the Jeff Tambellini days?

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
fans disguised as empty seats!

No way that there was almost 10,000 there last night. I'd say 5-6000. And yeah the scoreboard not working was comical...

Maybe there were 9,888 fans disguised as empty seats at last night's exhibition game. I bet if they closed off the entire upper bowl and force everyone who showed up to sit in the 100s & 200s, there still would have been empty seats.

As for the scoreboard SNAFU, WTF! Is this the Federal Hockey League?

I had a very depressing drive back to Marine Park, Brooklyn.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

If the isles are below NHL .500 by Octobers end, even if its only 1 game under, the entire coaching staff should be shown the door. It's that simple. Will that happen? probably not...but it should be the obvious choice

All good choices that I wouldn't mind, obviously.

My fear is that it just won't happen. I think the 'short leash' is driven by the media and not by the organization. Naturally Snow won't say anything, and I think the media just assumes that the iron is getting hot, Jack has had a considerable tenure with minimal results, and that is the recipe for most coaches to get fired. Though, I just don't know if I believe that the leash is actually as short as the media thinks. Maybe it is Islanders Syndrome.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com

My fear is that it just won't happen. I think the 'short leash' is driven by the media and not by the organization. Naturally Snow won't say anything, and I think the media just assumes that the iron is getting hot, Jack has had a considerable tenure with minimal results, and that is the recipe for most coaches to get fired. Though, I just don't know if I believe that the leash is actually as short as the media thinks. Maybe it is Islanders Syndrome.

No, you are right. It isn't going to happen. Capuano has compromising pictures of snow. No other way to explain a coach keeping a professional job after his team only wins 2 games in regulation in a stretch of 20 + games like last season.

If he didn't get **** canned then, he never will.

Weight would be the successor anyway. Cairns or Thompson would just assume an additional title and the position won't be filled. It's the islanders way

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

There is no leash and it's not about Capuano, it's all and only about the coaching committee and Snow might be a big part of it. Wang likes Capuano and will keep Snow no matter what and Snow will keep Capuano because Snow knows he is the big Evil himself. Even if Capuano would be fired there would be only another Yes man instead and the committee and Snow would still make all decisions.

I'm only excited to see these clowns fail again.
No matter what will happen I will have fun ...

waiting for 2016.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
There is no leash and it's not about Capuano, it's all and only about the coaching committee and Snow might be a big part of it. Wang likes Capuano and will keep Snow no matter what and Snow will keep Capuano because Snow knows he is the big Evil himself. Even if Capuano would be fired there would be only another Yes man instead and the committee and Snow would still make all decisions.

I'm only excited to see these clowns fail again.
No matter what will happen I will have fun ...

waiting for 2016.

With each coach throughout Snow's tenure, the style of play has changed. I really don't know why you think Snow meddles with coaching at all on a day to day basis. Do you have any evidence that Snow is a part of this 'committee' of coaches that's pulling all the strings during practice and in games?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I feel like I was watching a different game than others.. I thought Reinhart played pretty damn good and surprisingly more physical than I expected...

Brennan had 1 good defensive play and one nice hit, other than that I was very unimpressed with him... He made a few questionable decisions with and without the puck and even a couple of times he challenged the forward in the offensive Z instead of retreating back and it lead to a couple of odd man chances.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I feel like I was watching a different game than others.. I thought Reinhart played pretty damn good and surprisingly more physical than I expected...

Brennan had 1 good defensive play and one nice hit, other than that I was very unimpressed with him... He made a few questionable decisions with and without the puck and even a couple of times he challenged the forward in the offensive Z instead of retreating back and it lead to a couple of odd man chances.

You watched the same game I did.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

I thought the same thing about Reinhart and hope he makes the team.

We all get our expectations up for some of these guys during the offseason and our objectivity gets blurred. I know there was rust but for some of the other guys it is obvious that they are still in the potential phase and will hopefully continue to improve (i.e Pokka who I was looking forward to seeing but seemed to struggle, keeping in mind it is his first camp though). On the other hand I thought that Cizikas seemed to be getting the message that this is a competition and he played strong throughout the game not just on the one goal. Long way to go, the sky is not falling, and I am very optimistic we will be a playoff team (please!!!)

And btw, I was at the game and there could not have been more than 5K-6K there..

spittoon

Mar 25, 2009

Sounds like the kid will fit right in then. I saw every other dman make the same kind of mistakes that he supposedly did. Point is, you can focus on guys and nitpick their games any way you like it. Nobody plays a perfect game. I saw Reinhart make a terrible turnover that lead to a scoring chance. But he was still pretty damn good in some eyes. Vis and Hickey at times couldn't get it out of their own end to save their lives at times, pushed around constantly.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
With each coach throughout Snow's tenure, the style of play has changed. I really don't know why you think Snow meddles with coaching at all on a day to day basis. Do you have any evidence that Snow is a part of this 'committee' of coaches that's pulling all the strings during practice and in games?

First there was Nolan, a real coach, who wanted to win while Snow wanted to play more kids so Nolan needed to go. Then there was Gordon with his own system asking much from the players but he was a real coach who did his own thing. There was no committee at that time. He was replaced after only 10 lost games, replaced with Capuano who was there only because he was Snow's former teammate.
If Snow wouldn't meddle with coaching Capuano would be already fired and Snow would search for the best coach available. Instead Snow promotes only former teammates into the coaching staff for a reason instead of searching for the best one available. Who do you think makes all the goalie decisions when Capuano said he has nothing to do with goalies. There was a day when Capuano was ill and Weight coached the game and after the game Weight said WE will analyse the mistakes. Sure there is a coaching committee, this is Wang's style and you think Snow has nothing to do with this committee. As long as Snow is here there won't be a real coach again.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I head there was an issue with the scoreboard.

What was the dealio?

It was either freezing or the buttons on the computer weren't working. Either or. So during each stoppage of play the arena PA guy had to announce time remaining in the period and during a penalty he would call out how much time was left. It was pretty ghetto

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
I didnt see the game. Only seen highlights of him but I wasnt impressed with those either. What current NHLer does he compare to? I just dont understand how he scored all those points. Am I getting fooled again like the Jeff Tambellini days?

Good question. I really dont know. the problem with him is stability. He makes some impressive plays then hell make a questionable play like stepping up and confronting a player in the offensive zone instead of dropping back. hes got speed and physical play and a banging shot but a lot of plays he makes defensively were questionable. worked a couple of times but try it against a good player and your going to have issues.

bottom line is he is more of a depth player. he was drafted at 31st overall and was looked at as being a top 4 PMD. but he was passed along by a few teams which is a bad sign.

Rather see him in the lineup than carkner anyday

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
FWIW Heres my unofficial faceoff stats from wednesday (along with some other random thoughts that nobody cares about)

Brock Nelson 4W 3L
Frans Nielsen 4W 7L (2 were in defensive zone on PK that directly led to goals against)
John Tavares 5W 8L
Ryan Strome 1W 0L
Casey Cizikas 4W 3L
Mikhal Grabovski 1W 0L
Kyle Okposo 2W 0L

Rapid Fire:
----------------------------------------------------------
DAMN, Anders Lee OWNS the Corners and the side boards!
Pokka having issues reading play. Perhaps the speed of the game, perhaps the new ice dimensions. His positioning and reads need adjusting
Cappy puts Strome on the Point on the PP while Conacher gets PP time as a farward (shakes fist in the sky cursing Capuano and Weight)
Conacher takes third penalty of pre-season, this one was 180 ft away from his own net (even if it WAS a bad call)
Brock looks good on the kill
Martin is CONSTANTLY out of position and often on the wrong side of the ice. He just roves for no reason and no purpose. Does he know he's a LW? Does he know what a LW is supposed to do? GRRRRR Capuano!
Brock with a nice a keep in
Strome is DEATHLY afraid of contact
Brock nice clear, Brock nice effort. Damn is there anything this kid isnt excellent at?
Strome looks mighty uncomfortable as a winger
JT on the wrong side on the Powerplay again!!!! Capuano ill be waiting for you outside the Coliseum!!!!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
FWIW Heres my unofficial faceoff stats from wednesday (along with some other random thoughts that nobody cares about)

Brock Nelson 4W 3L
Frans Nielsen 4W 7L (2 were in defensive zone on PK that directly led to goals against)
John Tavares 5W 8L
Ryan Strome 1W 0L
Casey Cizikas 4W 3L
Mikhal Grabovski 1W 0L
Kyle Okposo 2W 0L

Rapid Fire:
DAMN, Anders Lee OWNS the Corners and the side boards!
Pokka having issues reading play. Perhaps the speed of the game, perhaps the new ice dimensions. His positioning and reads need adjusting
Cappy puts Strome on the Point on the PP while Conacher gets PP time as a farward (shakes fist in the sky cursing Capuano and Weight)
Conacher takes third penalty of pre-season, this one was 180 ft away from his own net (even if it WAS a bad call)
Brock looks good on the kill
Martin is CONSTANTLY out of position and often on the wrong side of the ice. He just roves for no reason and no purpose. Does he know he's a LW? Does he know what a LW is supposed to do? GRRRRR Capuano!
Brock with a nice a keep in
Strome is DEATHLY afraid of contact
Brock nice clear, Brock nice effort. Damn is there anything this kid isnt excellent at?
Strome looks mighty uncomfortable as a winger
JT on the wrong side on the Powerplay again!!!! Capuano ill be waiting for you outside the Coliseum!!!!

I thought the same thing about Strome and contact. He really laid back and retreated instead of being hit a few times in the corner. I'm hoping that he can be like Kane where he is able to use his noggin to keep him out of those areas, but hopefully he goes into them a bit more when the seasons starts. Last season he didn't like contact either (who does I guess) but he still stood in there to make the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad