Pre-Game Talk: Lines vs. Hurricanes

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I thought about including him but he torched the AHL for half a season. I guess you could send him down again but it's time to let him swim in the deep end.

Kind of the same story with Lee. Dude's 24, put in the college time, put in the AHL time, stayed loyal when he could have bolted. I expect good things from him and it would be a bummer if he was sent down because he's waiver-protected.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Strome should go down, but if means saving some guys that you want to keep (not putting them on waivers), it wouldn't hurt in anyway to send Strome down. Lee on the other hand I would keep over Strome if I had to choose. Lee is also a natural winger and there is an adjustment going from center to wing like Strome would have to. The ideal situation is to move a couple forwards for a good defensemen. If there are no trades or injuries I could definitely see Strome and Lee "start" the year in Bridgeport, they won't end it there though !!

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Skille might be very fast, but that's it, he can't score and 53 PIMs in 194 games isn't going to scare too many players. Let's face it, he was a 1st Round bust for the Black Hawks, was marginally productive minor leaguer and a rather un-productive NHL player.

I just don't see Jack Skille beating out Matt Martin or Casey Cizikas or even Cory Conacher and no one is that desperate to claim his minor league talent off waivers. If he does make the openning day roster, the Isles are in serious trouble.

Because of his two way contract Jack Skille has a next to nothing chance of starting the year with the Isles, but to state " if he makes the opening day roster, the Isles are in serious trouble" is a bit dramatic don't you think ! He's a solid role player that adds depth to the Isles.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Skille might be very fast, but that's it, he can't score and 53 PIMs in 194 games isn't going to scare too many players. Let's face it, he was a 1st Round bust for the Black Hawks, was marginally productive minor leaguer and a rather un-productive NHL player.

I just don't see Jack Skille beating out Matt Martin or Casey Cizikas or even Cory Conacher and no one is that desperate to claim his minor league talent off waivers. If he does make the openning day roster, the Isles are in serious trouble.

Dude relax, it's very early in preseason. They will take a look at everyone and if Skille playing gets CMac to raise his game because of competition it's all good. I mean Ness is playing tonight and if you want to make Buffalo happy have him on your opening night roster!

gramatanboy

Aug 2, 2005
Westport
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Strome should go down, but if means saving some guys that you want to keep (not putting them on waivers), it wouldn't hurt in anyway to send Strome down. Lee on the other hand I would keep over Strome if I had to choose. Lee is also a natural winger and there is an adjustment going from center to wing like Strome would have to. The ideal situation is to move a couple forwards for a good defensemen. If there are no trades or injuries I could definitely see Strome and Lee "start" the year in Bridgeport, they won't end it there though !!

Sending Strome or Lee down to the AHL to "save" borderline NHL players like CMAC, Boulton, Skille, Carkner, Strait and even Conacher is beyond stupid. The Islanders have plenty of players who can fill in when injuries hit, like Sundstrom, Halmo, Persson etc. The Islanders should be selecting the best 23 players for their NHL roster to compete for the Stanley Cup like every other well managed team in the NHL does from game #1 to game #82.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Sending Strome or Lee down to the AHL to "save" borderline NHL players like CMAC, Boulton, Skille, Carkner, Strait and even Conacher is beyond stupid. The Islanders have plenty of players who can fill in when injuries hit, like Sundstrom, Halmo, Persson etc. The Islanders should be selecting the best 23 players for their NHL roster to compete for the Stanley Cup like every other well managed team in the NHL does from game #1 to game #82.

Couldn't have said it better myself... :clap:

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Can't argue with that but CMAC, Boulton, and Carkner are the only ones I wouldn't worry about. I'm just not as "high" on Strome as being ready for a 82 game NHL season yet. Just my opinion.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
That's why I'm an advocate for not waiving any player that we might lose. We got killed last season because we had poor NHL depth on D. That's why Reinhart should go to BP, at least until we see how our D shake out.

you don't keep a better player down in the AHL because you want to have better depth for when the lesser player takes his spot, eventually doesn't work out.

Reinhart deserves to make the team because he is the best player available for the open spot. simple as that.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Will be watching online, have a great time 90.
Can't wait to see Griff and Pokka and the Lee, Nelson and Strome line.

Thanks Rex, will do. I was a bit disappointed to find out Dal Colle and/or Ho-Sang are not playing. But Im def excited about seeing Griff and Pokka together live. Also nice to see Captain johnny play in what seems like forever.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
So pumped...I mean I know it's only preseason but I feel like I haven't been to the Coliseum in forever. I'm just glad the regular season is almost here. After the first like 2 weeks, the off season was reeeeeeeeeally boring.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
It's a shame they didn't have a special logo at center ice having to do with the final NVMC season like they did with the 40th anniversary season

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's a shame they didn't have a special logo at center ice having to do with the final NVMC season like they did with the 40th anniversary season

Very odd, since they did make that patch for the final season at the NVMC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad