Pre-Game Talk: Lines vs. Hurricanes

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Is this game on t.v.??

No, but the one on Friday at Barclays will be on one of the MSG networks and the game on the 30th vs the Bruins will be on NHL network

Tickets are as low as 5 bucks on stubhub though...

EDIT: They're streaming the game on IslesTV

Last edited:

Nuch3232

Nov 22, 2013
Long Island
I have nothing personally against Jack Skille, but for the last 20 years I have seen too many Jack Skilles and Colon McDonalds stink up Islander rosters at the expense young players who may or may not be possible NHL players, but we already know that Skille is at best a second line minor leaguer. I'm tried of a Colon McDonald playing over a Nino Niederreiter.

This team needs to get off to a good start because if they don't, we get to Gary Bittme say "With the 1st pick of the 2015 Draft acquired from the New York Islanders, The Buffalo Sabres have selected from the Erie Otters, Center Connor McDavid!"...........

Relaxxxxxxxxx....we arent even a week into the preseason...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Going tonight to see some of the new guys... Excited I heard that Halak will start most of, if not the whole game...

Also I really think Grabo works with Johnny and Okposo but at the same time Im think we should capitalize on the Chemistry with Grabo and Kuli

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Going tonight to see some of the new guys... Excited I heard that Halak will start most of, if not the whole game...

Also I really think Grabo works with Johnny and Okposo but at the same time Im think we should capitalize on the Chemistry with Grabo and Kuli

Will be watching online, have a great time 90.
Can't wait to see Griff and Pokka and the Lee, Nelson and Strome line.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I don't know why I have severe hate for TJ Brennan already. I think he's going to be one of those guys that gets a lot of undeserved playing time and doesn't absolutely nothing with it.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I don't know if I'd read too much into Grabo on the top line, but it's definitely an audition for Lee, Conacher, Skille, and basically the whole bottom 4 D group.

I would include Strome in that group. There could be something said to sending Strome down (20 yr old), and keeping Lee up (24 yr old, physical mature). Just throwing it out there because I believe many people on this board will be surprised at the final lineup !!! Strome wouldn't be down for long, injuries, poor performance, or a trade would make room on the Isles. As we are seeing injuries start to occur and wouldn't be too fast in putting guys on waivers.

hockey18

Jan 14, 2009
how can you have severe hate for TJ brennan already? From everything i have read he played very well on monday and can' really help this team

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
how can you have severe hate for TJ brennan already? From everything i have read he played very well on monday and can' really help this team

It's just one of those feelings you get with certain players. Especially a guy that has had trouble cracking NHL line ups.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I would include Strome in that group. There could be something said to sending Strome down (20 yr old), and keeping Lee up (24 yr old, physical mature). Just throwing it out there because I believe many people on this board will be surprised at the final lineup !!! Strome wouldn't be down for long, injuries, poor performance, or a trade would make room on the Isles. As we are seeing injuries start to occur and wouldn't be too fast in putting guys on waivers.

I thought about including him but he torched the AHL for half a season. I guess you could send him down again but it's time to let him swim in the deep end.

Kind of the same story with Lee. Dude's 24, put in the college time, put in the AHL time, stayed loyal when he could have bolted. I expect good things from him and it would be a bummer if he was sent down because he's waiver-protected.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
It's just one of those feelings you get with certain players. Especially a guy that has had trouble cracking NHL line ups.

Without ANY experience watching the guy, the first guy I thought of when I heard about him was Marc Andre Bergeron. I have no idea why and I hope he's better than MAB.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Without ANY experience watching the guy, the first guy I thought of when I heard about him was Marc Andre Bergeron. I have no idea why and I hope he's better than MAB.

In a way that's kind of the impression I got as well.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
intentional? :D

funny, either way...

Skille is a low risk option, with decent potential. possibly a better McDonald?

whether he makes it or not, i doubt that it will mean a difference of 10 spots in the standings for this team.

NO! Skille is a no-reward option with no major league potential. The stats don't lie! His NHL Stats are in 194 games, he had 24 goals with 29 assists, with a -30 +/- and 53 pims. That's no offensive production, no defense and no toughness. The only nice thing I have to say about Jack Skille is that he's slightly better than Colon McDonald, and that isn't saying much.

I rather see Collberg, Lee, Persson and/or Sundstorm playing than the likes of McDonald and Skille.

ps: I love calling Colin McDonald "Colon" because he stinks like one!

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
Skille is a very strong, very fast skater who plays a hard, physical forecheck. At 216 pounds he is more than a pest. His problem has always been he has not had the scoring touch to match his #7 overall draft position, but as a 4th line grinder with that speed he is more useful than CMac. besides, he has a two way contract and will be paid $300k if he has to play in Bridgeport (although he will have to clear waivers both ways). He has a chance to take CMac or MM17s spot on 4th line. I like what he can bring at the bottom of the lineup.

Skille might be very fast, but that's it, he can't score and 53 PIMs in 194 games isn't going to scare too many players. Let's face it, he was a 1st Round bust for the Black Hawks, was marginally productive minor leaguer and a rather un-productive NHL player.

I just don't see Jack Skille beating out Matt Martin or Casey Cizikas or even Cory Conacher and no one is that desperate to claim his minor league talent off waivers. If he does make the openning day roster, the Isles are in serious trouble.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
Bought a ticket for like $3 on stubhub if I get off of work early ill head over if not its not like I dropped a lot of money haha.

LOL! I bet it costs you more in charges than for the ticket!

I remember them giving free tickets to pre-season games back in the late 1990's and fans still stayed away. But, thanks anyway for going to the game. let see how many fans (including me up in 338) show up tonight for the last pre-season exhabition game at the old barn!

Remember: "LET'S GO ISLANDERS!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad