Line Combos: Lines and D-Pairings

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I would say that keeping Gardiner-Zaitsev together would be a mistake. They arent very good fits to play with eachother.

I think Gardiner could use a guy like Hainsey to play with and Dermott-Zaitsev would be less mistake prone.

The only downside to that is that putting Zaitsev on the 3rd pair lowers his trade value...And i think its in our best interest to get rid of that contract for next season.

Oz has been very good and is our best passing RD. I honestly think hes better than Zaitsev Hainsey already in a lot of ways. In the end i think we should run this:

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Oz

But next year:
Muzzin-Rielly
Dermott-Oz
Rosen-Liljegren/Holl

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I think Gardner or Zailsev are traded.
We will trade for another dman maybe Gudas
Hopefully we can trade Z for some kind of assets, or even a guy like Kassian +, and can get Gudas ...

Rielly - Muzzin
Gardiner - Gudas
Dermott - Hainsey

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Are these lines what I want to see or what I think will happen?

I think we'll see these lines when everyone is healthy and up to speed.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Lindholm-Gauthier-Brown

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

Andersen
Sparks

What are the complaints with that line up? One more top 4 d and possibly physicality? I'd say that's pretty good.

Reactions: Havoc

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What about:

Rielly
Muzzin Hainsey
Dermott Zaitsev
Marincin Ozhiganov

Trade Gardiner/picks/players/prospects for another top pairing guy.​

Reactions: Havoc

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I would say that keeping Gardiner-Zaitsev together would be a mistake. They arent very good fits to play with eachother.

I think Gardiner could use a guy like Hainsey to play with and Dermott-Zaitsev would be less mistake prone.

The only downside to that is that putting Zaitsev on the 3rd pair lowers his trade value...And i think its in our best interest to get rid of that contract for next season.

Oz has been very good and is our best passing RD. I honestly think hes better than Zaitsev Hainsey already in a lot of ways. In the end i think we should run this:

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Oz

But next year:
Muzzin-Rielly
Dermott-Oz
Rosen-Liljegren/Holl

Muzzin Reilly are a perfect top pairing and would compliment each other’s style extremely well, however both shoot left, does Reilly play the right side?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I foresee a Muzzin Liljegren pairing next year.

Rielly _____
Muzzin Liljegren
Dermott Zaitsev

Reactions: Leafin

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Rielly Muzzin
Gards Hainsey
Dermott Zaitsev

Rielly - Muzzin
Dermott - Myers
Hainsey - Zaitsev

Gardiner for Myers (maybe we add something small).

WPG need LD the same way we need RD & Gards would look good with Buff or Trouba.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I thought Dermott and Zaitsev looked good together with Gardiner out. And im sure Gardiner could use a "gud pro" in Hainsey to do a little more talking with him and hang back in the case of a dreaded turnover. Like other posters have said, i dont see Hainsey going from top pair to the bottom. Babs simply likes him too much.

Reilly-Muzzin
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

...really is amazing how just one guy can change the look of your defence (and better it) simply by pushing other players into a more fitting role

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
cV1MdWY.jpg

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Wouldn't mind seeing:

Muzzin Rielly
Dermott Gards (might as well play Gards on RD)
Hainsey Zaitsev

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

They could and should send Ozhiganov down to the Marlies right now to get him top pairing minutes. Could be good for him and the Leafs make sure they don't lose Holl on waivers (they seem to like him).

Next season, Leafs will have a few interesting options for depth with Rosen, Borgman, Holl (maybe?), Ozhiganov, Liljegren and Sandin all vying for spots. Zaitsev is 90% sure to be moved for cap relief.

Muzzin - Rielly
Dermott - XXX
Rosen - XXX

Last edited:

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
If Toronto could trade for Radko Gudas at the deadline, trade Zaitsev in the off season, let Gardiner, Hainsey and Oz walk, and sign Alex Edler to a 2 year deal, I'd be in heaven... At at an affordable price they could go...

Reilly (5.0) / Muzzin (4.0)
Edler (5.0) / Gudas (3.5)
Dermott (1.0) / Rosen (1.0)
Liljegren (1.0) or Marincin (1.0)

With the Marleau money coming off the books in 2020, they could use some of it to extend Muzzin and by that point Edler or Gudas could be expendable to a further developing Dermott, Liljegren, Rosen and Sandin.

You simply trade Brown and slide Moore into his place. The 1 million dollar difference between Gardiner and Edler, plus the 1 million dollar difference between Brown and Moore, nets you the extra money you need to sign Edler in the first place.

That would be a formidable and affordable (barely) top 4, made even more realistic if you can sign Matthews and Marner for a combined 21 million or less.

LighthouseKeepr

Jun 11, 2015
Outside Moncton, NB
I have a feeling hes not done. Zaitsev will be out and Gudas will be in.

Now that Muzzin has been acquired my thinking is trade Zaitsev + 3rd(?) to Vancouver for Tanev (if it can be done for a reasonable price) as I feel he is better defensively than Gudas!

Zaitsev being signed for five more seasons after this one could help Vancouver through their rebuild years and Tanev could help Toronto tighten up the back end until Sandin makes the big club!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad