Line Combos: Lines and D-Pairings

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'd rather move one of our good LHDs to the right side. They'll likely perform worse, but that step down would be smaller than the step down in talent from Gardiner to Myers.
Honestly I haven't watched much of Myers but from what I read, he's solid defensively. With the offense we have up front, we don't really need a Gardiner to help out up there. My thoughts are we replace an offensive defenseman with a more defensive guy.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
With the offense we have up front, we don't really need a Gardiner to help out up there.
No offense, but I don't like this kind of arguments. What we need is to be as good as possible, and Gardiner being a terrific offensive d-man who can jump start our transition really helps with that. No matter how much offense we have, if we take that away then we become a that much worse team, so what we gain defensively has to even up. It doesn't. Myers is solid defensively in the same way Gardiner is, because their strengths outweigh their negatives, and Myers have about the same kind of negatives as Gardiner has.

Reactions: Havoc and biotk

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
No offense, but I don't like this kind of arguments. What we need is to be as good as possible, and Gardiner being a terrific offensive d-man who can jump start our transition really helps with that. No matter how much offense we have, if we take that away then we become a that much worse team, so what we gain defensively has to even up. It doesn't. Myers is solid defensively in the same way Gardiner is, because their strengths outweigh their negatives, and Myers have about the same kind of negatives as Gardiner has.
Fair enough, I'll take your word for it. If Dubas doesn't think it's a good move, he won't do it.

v4karuna

Apr 23, 2015
I don't understand the Rielly-Muzzin pairing most people want, mainly because they can't play 30+ minutes and having Gardiner/Zaits out there for 20 minutes is still a liability for playoffs.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Muzzin
Dermott-Zaitsev

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think come playoff time our Lines will look like this

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown

Rielly-Muzzin
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

Andersen
Sparks

Scrathches: Gauthier,Marincin,Ozhiganov,Holl

Moore on stand-by in the minors, in case of any injuries to wingers

Last edited:
Reactions: Marshy

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
1 dman will be going on waivers soon. It will be interesting to see who it will be. I hope Marincin is the one to go.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Rielly Hainsey
Muzzin Zaitsev
Dermot Oz

I believe Jake will be traded and this will be our lineup before any future trades.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I don't understand the Rielly-Muzzin pairing most people want, mainly because they can't play 30+ minutes and having Gardiner/Zaits out there for 20 minutes is still a liability for playoffs.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Muzzin
Dermott-Zaitsev

This is certainly possible.

I think pushing Hainsey or Zaitsev to the third pairing results in Babcock playing them more and playing them against higher QoC, taking pressure off the other two pairings. But I also see pairings being switched up when the Leafs are either ahead or behind halfway through the game:

So what I see happening is - almost played evenly, with only slightly more for pairing 1 and slightly less for pairing 3:

Rielly - Muzzin (don't care which one plays on the right side)
Gardiner - Zaitsev/Hainsey
Dermott - Hainsey/Zaitsev

When the Leafs are behind half way through they switch up the pairings a bit and rely more heavily on the first two pairings:

Rielly - Muzzin
Gardiner - Dermott
Hainsey - Zaitsev

When the Leafs are ahead half way through they switch up the pairings a bit and rely more heavily on the first two pairsings:
Rielly - Muzzin
Hainsey - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Dermott

I don't see any more trades happening - certainly not before Babs and Dubas can see how their current lineup for a couple weeks. The idea of the Leafs trading Gardiner is completely laughable in my opinion. Not that I don't understand the reasoning fans have for it, I just think that it is so far removed from the opinion of Leafs management that is laughable.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think come playoff time our Lines will look like this

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis/Moore-Lindholm-Brown

Rielly-Muzzin
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

Andersen
Sparks

Scrathches: Gauthier,Marincin,Ozhiganov,Holl

I still don't know if they call up Moore come playoff time, like they do for the playoffs like they do other young players
Marleau probably plays game 1 of playoffs but if he stays a ppassenger he will go to 4th line real quick. Kadri may move up to wing this playoff run. Talk of Kadri - Matty - Marner going head up against Bergeron line. That leaves Tavares Kappy and Hyman to feed on Krecji.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I hear a lot of 'move Rielly to the right side'... Is it just me, or does he not already play more on the Right side than Hainsey does...

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I personally would trade Gards, I think his spirit is totally broken here.

Recoup a decent 1st back. Then either package for another top 4 D or keep the pick, depending on how we feel it'll go without Gardiner.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This Year:

Johnsson - Matthews - Marner
Moore - Tavares - Kapanen
Hyman - Kadri - Nylander
Ennis - Marleau - Brown

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Next Year:

Hyman - Kadri - Nylander
Ennis - Gauthier - Marchment

Muzzin - Rielly
Dermott - Gardiner
Sandin - Liljegren

Sep 18, 2009
This Year:

Hyman - Kadri - Nylander
Ennis - Marleau - Brown

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Next Year:

Hyman - Kadri - Nylander
Ennis - Gauthier - Marchment

Muzzin - Rielly
Dermott - Gardiner
Sandin - Liljegren
Gardiner won't make it to the postseason boss

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
I personally would trade Gards, I think his spirit is totally broken here.

Recoup a decent 1st back. Then either package for another top 4 D or keep the pick, depending on how we feel it'll go without Gardiner.
Who do you think will give a 1st?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad