Rielly - - - Muzzin
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Andersen
Sparks

Things are Looking Good!

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I like how Hainsey goes from top pairing to bottom pairing in a flash like that.
Love it, Dermott goes from a guy he couldn’t really communicate with, to an on ice coach.

Wouldn’t mind switching Hainsey and Zaitsev...

swint

Nov 16, 2014
I would swap Hainsey and Zaitsev. Other than that things are looking good.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Happy with the trade and how the Leafs look heading into the playoffs.

However, I hope that Nylander pairs with Tavares at some point moving forward.

Also think it would be good for Zaitsev to go to the 3rd pairing for a bit instead of Hainsey. Not long-term, but until Zaitsev gets his puck handling back to where it should be.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Greater depth on the blueline now. Ozhiganov played much more than either Marincin or Holl. Easier transition to bring him into the lineup if/when needed. I'd expect another change to the top six sooner or later though.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Defense:

Rielly-Muzzin (No doubt about this one. Great offensive dman with a strong two-way dman)
Gardiner-Hainsey (I actually think we see this. Hainsey, although not great with the puck, is a good stability for Gardiner. Playing with Zaitsev made that pairing way too much volatile.)
Dermott-Zaitsev (Zaitsev gets easier minutes and Dermott is less prone to mistakes which makes it a solid third pairing.)

My hope is that second pairing becomes reliable enough when our top pairing or bottom pairing has an off night. Other than that, a solid dcore.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
We dropping OZ just like that?
I felt that Dermott carried the load for that pairing a lot. When Dermott had a off night, Oz struggled really hard whereas the vice versa didn't happen. He is a good 7 dman to have especially since he is a big rhd.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Makes no sense to me if Muzzin plays with Rielly, he should anchor the 2nd pairing, and let Muzzin take a lot of Hainsey's PK minutes. what happens to OZ now?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I thought Hainsey has been fine with Rielly this year (not fantastic, but fine). Dropping his PK minutes and moving him to the 2nd or 3rd pairing should make him look a lot better in the playoffs and possibly one more year as well.
Agree.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Do we drop Holl or Marincin?

I'd guess Marincin since Holl has another year left on his contract. Suppose they could demote Ozhiganov to help expand his role (PK duties) and not have him sit. Don't know if they'd do that since his contract is up at the end of the season (RFA though).

Last edited:
Reactions: The Iceman

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I would go all out and acquire another RD. Convince the Canes to take Zaitsevs contract + Oz + prospects/picks for Pesce. Two birds with one stone.

Rielly Muzzin
Gards Pesce
Dermott Hainsey

Next season:

Rielly Muzzin
Dermott Pesce
Rosen -------

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
How would you rank your defensemen 1-6?

Rielly

Gardiner/Muzzin

Hainsey/Dermott/Zaitsev

Have to see how Muzzin fits into our playstyle before I say he is better or worse than Gardiner. His biggest plus is that he is a type of dmen we dont currently have though (physical, 2way dman who focuses on defensive side).

Hainsey is currently the most experienced of the bottom 3, but the oldest and last year the season wear and tear showed up for him. Dermott has the most potential (top 4), but has played bottom pairing for the majority of the season so who knows how he would play in Zaitsev or Hainseys role. Zaitsev falls in between the two (2nd for upside, 2nd for age/experience).

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad