Line Combos: Lines and D-Pairings

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I would make one more minor trade to bring in Maroon or a similar player. Just a vet who can play and stick up for guys on an at need basis.

Reactions: smitty10

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This Year:

Johnsson - Matthews - Marner
Moore - Tavares - Kapanen
Hyman - Kadri - Nylander
Ennis - Marleau - Brown

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Next Year:

Hyman - Kadri - Nylander
Ennis - Gauthier - Marchment

Muzzin - Rielly
Dermott - Gardiner
Sandin - Liljegren
Where does the cap come from to sign Gardiner? Seems way to optimistic that we dump Zaitsev and Trade Marleau in the same offseason. Brown for sure can get a 2nd+, we might be able to deal Marleau if be waives his NMC. Just cant see us finding a suitor for zaitsev. Also would rather see Bracco in the lineup after his dominant season in the ahl then bringing back Ennis. The kid deserves to be on the team and if he can shift to LW he would be able to take Moores spot.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Where does the cap come from to sign Gardiner? Seems way to optimistic that we dump Zaitsev and Trade Marleau in the same offseason. Brown for sure can get a 2nd+, we might be able to deal Marleau if be waives his NMC. Just cant see us finding a suitor for zaitsev. Also would rather see Bracco in the lineup after his dominant season in the ahl then bringing back Ennis. The kid deserves to be on the team and if he can shift to LW he would be able to take Moores spot.

trust in the dubes

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
trust in the dubes
Have decent amount of trust in the guy after the muzzin deal and hopefully more good news to follow with the Matthews deal coming soon. However dumping our two worst contracts seems like a miracle that may be putting too much pressure on dubas. If he pulls it off that is amazing, but I would be really happy with him if he found a way to trade one of them. Still got months and hopefully a cup run left before we gotta worry about the offseason.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
If Leafs add a top 4 RHD, who does Babcock play on the bottom pair with Dermott, Zaitsev or Hainsey?

Gardiner Rielly
Muzzin _______
Dermott _________
Marincin Ozhiganov

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
If Leafs add a top 4 RHD, who does Babcock play on the bottom pair with Dermott, Zaitsev or Hainsey?

Gardiner Rielly
Muzzin _______
Dermott _________
Marincin Ozhiganov
Pretty sure they're going to try and see if they can switch people over.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I hear a lot of 'move Rielly to the right side'... Is it just me, or does he not already play more on the Right side than Hainsey does...

yeah he's on the right side a ton already. it's really not a big deal.

Reactions: smitty10

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
Seems many are inserting Gudas into these pairings. Is he really worth making yet another withdrawal from our draft pick reserves? I would rather wait to see how much the Muzzin deal impacts that rest of the D; I think Zaitsev in particular should benefit greatly from this. I know Hainsey with Dermott has been discussed, but it might be worth it to pair Z with Dermott to to shelter him a bit more and keep him away from Gardiner on a long term basis moving forward.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I would make one more minor trade to bring in Maroon or a similar player. Just a vet who can play and stick up for guys on an at need basis.
Agree with this. I would like him on the 4th line to replace Lindholm. Trade one for one.

I'd also like to see the Leafs make a move for Gudas. Zaitsev would have to go to accommodate him, but not sure what we'd need to add to get it to happen. Let's assume Zaitsev + 2020 first? Doubt it happens.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Maroon-Gauthier-Brown
Moore

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Gudas
Dermott-Hainsey
Ozhiganov

Andersen
Sparks

That to me is a Cup contending team.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
This Year:

Hyman - Kadri - Nylander
Ennis - Marleau - Brown

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Next Year:

Hyman - Kadri - Nylander
Ennis - Gauthier - Marchment

Muzzin - Rielly
Dermott - Gardiner
Sandin - Liljegren
Where’s marleau going?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
when all healthy, should be

johnsson - matthews - marner
hyman - tavares - nylander
brown - kadri - kapanen
marleau - lindholm - ennis

rielly - muzzin
gardiner - zaitsev
dermott - hainsey

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'd switch Muzzin and Gardiner personally. Let's Gardiner and Rielly both have a little more leeway in the offensive end.

Yea, I just thought that lineup looked interesting, I need to see Muzzin play a few games in a Leaf uniform. I never really paid attention to him much before. I dont really know his skill set

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
it'll almost certainly be

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

what's fun, though, is that the the PK pairs will likely be

Hainsey - Zaitsev
Muzzin - Rielly

which means that we're going to see plenty of a Dermott-Gardiner pairing on the shifts after PK situations, and who knows, if they can impress in those minutes, maybe that becomes the 2nd pairing full time, with Hainsey-Zaitsev the bottom pair.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
it'll almost certainly be

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

what's fun, though, is that the the PK pairs will likely be

Hainsey - Zaitsev
Muzzin - Rielly

which means that we're going to see plenty of a Dermott-Gardiner pairing on the shifts after PK situations, and who knows, if they can impress in those minutes, maybe that becomes the 2nd pairing full time, with Hainsey-Zaitsev the bottom pair.

I really hope they break up Gardiner Zaitsev, it just doesn't seem to work.

Reactions: LighthouseKeepr

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
No to Gudas, that guy sucks.

I wonder if Dubas inquired about Hjalmarsson, he was ranked a couple of spots higher than Muzzin in breaking up cycle/winning board battles when TSN did there Muzzin stats.

Too bad he's not a RHD, a 2nd or Bracco should do it.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's going to be interesting to see this sorted out. Apparently Muzzin has never played the right side according to Sutter. It's risky to take away Rielly's comfort (and offensive success this season) on the left side and expect an equal performance from the right side. IMO, it should mostly be Rielly, Gardiner and Muzzin playing to their strengths on separate pairings. Then pair them up however it works best. I'd rather risk a decline in Dermott's game from an unfamiliar side than to any those other 3.

Rielly-Hainsey
Muzzin-Dermott
Gardiner-Zaitsev

It really seems like there's going to be another major defense deal because this defense make up is still less than ideal.

Ruggle

Jan 21, 2019
Hyman - Tavares - Kapanen
Brown - Kadri - Nylander
Marleau - Lindholm/Goat - Moore/Ennis

Rielly - Muzzin
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Oz

Reactions: LighthouseKeepr

Ad