Line Combos: Line/Roster Moves 21/22 - The Naurato Edition

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't see the logic. You sign Staal and that would push all mentored kids (Veleno, Berggren, Raymond) to Grand Rapids.

How can Staal mentor them from Detroit in that case?
Don't see it either. Nielsen was always likely to either be the 13th forward or end up on waivers, don't think buying him out was in any way a precursor to bringing in a veteran replacement.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I don't see the logic. You sign Staal and that would push all mentored kids (Veleno, Berggren, Raymond) to Grand Rapids.

How can Staal mentor them from Detroit in that case?
i think the only one coming up initially will be veleno . so staal would be mentoring larkin-rasmussen-veleno = centerman like he is

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
i think the only one coming up initially will be veleno . so staal would be mentoring larkin-rasmussen-veleno = centerman like he is

There's no room for Veleno, if Staal is signed. Without him, there's room for one kid.

We'll see if there's an pre-season injury (long-term), and then we sign Staal to replace that injured guy.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
There's no room for Veleno, if Staal is signed. Without him, there's room for one kid.

We'll see if there's an pre-season injury (long-term), and then we sign Staal to replace that injured guy.
i take it that you missed yzermans comment about possibly adding one or two more forwards

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Zadina - Larkin - Vrana
Bertuzzi - Suter - Fabbri
Vlad N. - Rasmussen - Erne
Smith - Stephens - Gagner

Leddy - Hronek
Dan D - Seider
Staal - Stetcher

Greiss
Nedeljkovic

-----------------------------------------

The above is obviously with injuries permitting entering the season.

The first big fight for me out of pre-season is between Lindstrom and Stetcher. If Lindstrom can prove that he is worthy of that last roster spot then I think with how favourable Stetcher's deal is then a team wanting to contend could very well take a flyer on it, Winnipeg might be a good team to target in a trade but a serviceable RHD who is coming off a good international tournament on a good deal won't be a hard sell. Whether it is at the start of the season or closer to the deadline.

If Greiss continues his form from last year then a team might seriously look hard at him at the deadline, it will probably be another Bernier situation though, the name will probably crop up near the deadline but nothing will happen.

One name that almost certainly will crop up around the deadline will be Bertuzzi, if he can stay fit and produce at a good level and stay healthy then similar to Mantha last year, there will be a team out there willing to overpay. This will then open up a spot for one of Berggren or Raymond, possibly both (Give Raymond 9 games, slide a year on his ELC then play Raymond for the rest.)

Form dependant you could be looking at Fabbri and Namestnikov in trade rumours as well. None of them getting traded would surprise me in all honesty and I think that it will be done on the basis of acquiring draft capital to then make an aggressive move to draft early on, or take our chances with getting some high-end centreman in what is a highly acclaimed draft class.

Veleno is almost certainly going to be first call-up if a centre goes down, Hirose will probably find more opportunities this year, Pearson will also be knocking on the door, he can certainly be competing to get a spot on that 4th line.
What is your first pp unit going to be like sire?

Rasmussen - Larkin - Zadina
Hronek - Vrana
?

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I see line combinations of the following when all is said and done. I am looking at Erne and Stephens bringing some Syracuse familiarity on the third line, with success, making the team more successful as well.

Vrana, Larkin, Bert
Fabbri, Suter, Zadina
Erne, Ras, Stephens
Namestnikov, Veleno, Gagne
(Smith, Rowney)

Dekeyser/Hronek
Leddy/Seider
Staal/Stecher
(Lindstrom, Oesterle)

My projected point totals if healthy:
Larkin- 33/43 (76)
Vrana- 38/37 (75)
Suter- 28/36 (64)
Bert- 26/27 (53)
Zadina- 20/26 (46)
Fabbri- 18/25 (43)
Hronek- 15/27 (42)
Leddy- 8/30 (38)
Ras- 15/17 (32)
Erne- 15/16 (31)
Seider- 8/21 (29)
Stephens- 10/17 (27)

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
1st PP

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Vrana
Leddy-Fabbri/Stecher

2nd PP

Erne/Rasmussen-Suter-Zadina
Seider-Hronek
No way leddy is going to play in the first pp unit sire. Bank on that there sire. Hronek got the deal and is the future of it. He also has a better shot than leddy already. I can assure you that hronek is there.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I see line combinations of the following when all is said and done. I am looking at Erne and Stephens bringing some Syracuse familiarity on the third line, with success, making the team more successful as well.

Vrana, Larkin, Bert
Fabbri, Suter, Zadina
Erne, Ras, Stephens
(Smith, Rowney)

Dekeyser/Hronek
Leddy/Seider
Staal/Stecher
(Lindstrom, Oesterle)

Larkin- 33/43 (76)
Vrana- 38/37 (75)
Suter- 28/36 (64)
Bert- 26/27 (53)
Zadina- 20/26 (46)
Fabbri- 18/25 (43)
Hronek- 15/27 (42)
Leddy- 8/30 (38)
Ras- 15/17 (32)
Erne- 15/16 (31)
Seider- 8/21 (29)
Stephens- 10/17 (27)

When was the last time the Wings had 5 guys that scored 20+ goals?

Reactions: Gniwder

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021

Vrana, Larkin, Bert
Fabbri, Suter, Zadina
Erne, Ras, Stephens
(Smith, Rowney)

Dekeyser/Hronek
Leddy/Seider
Staal/Stecher
(Lindstrom, Oesterle)

Larkin- 33/43 (76)
Vrana- 38/37 (75)
Suter- 28/36 (64)
Bert- 26/27 (53)
Zadina- 20/26 (46)
Fabbri- 18/25 (43)
Hronek- 15/27 (42)
Leddy- 8/30 (38)
Ras- 15/17 (32)
Erne- 15/16 (31)
Seider- 8/21 (29)
Stephens- 10/17 (27)

Well you're optimistic. I'll give you that. Apparently every player on the roster is going to have a career year.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
No way leddy is going to play in the first pp unit sire. Bank on that there sire. Hronek got the deal and is the future of it. He also has a better shot than leddy already. I can assure you that hronek is there.
Leddy is the better and more proven PP QB. Hronek's deal is negligible to this, IMO, as Leddy has the higher contract value (both current and potential in terms of trade) as well as more experience with a top end PP in both Chicago and with the Islanders. Hronek will be better served being more of the focus on the 2nd PP, rather than taking away from the skill of Vrana/Larkin on the top PP who need more touches to be effective.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Harder shot, not better. He scored 0 PP goals last season. Both of his goals were empty netters.

Doesn't matter how hard you can shoot if you keep hitting shin pads. Not sure what happened last season, but Hronek can't find the soft spots anymore. He looks more like Pulkinnen than 2019/20 Hronek.

If Blash/Tanguay wants to win, they're going with Leddy on PP1.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Leddy is the better and more proven PP QB. Hronek's deal is negligible to this, IMO, as Leddy has the higher contract value (both current and potential in terms of trade) as well as more experience with a top end PP in both Chicago and with the Islanders. Hronek will be better served being more of the focus on the 2nd PP, rather than taking away from the skill of Vrana/Larkin on the top PP who need more touches to be effective.
You'll see sire. I already photographed these posts and will be getting back to them as soon as the season starts. :clap: I wish y'all the best season sire! Hronek will always, always play on the first powerplay, cause they are trying to make him one of the elite men in the nhl. Leddy is old and getting washed up, he will show great example though for some of y'all youngunz. For surely. Leddy wasn't taking big role during the lou stint neither sire, there are reasons for that. Hronek will be made the truest soldier and one of the elite d-men in the league. That's why they hired him hard. Leddy is just a guarantee piece.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
You'll see sire. I already photographed these posts and will be getting back to them as soon as the season starts. :clap: I wish y'all the best season sire! Hronek will always, always play on the first powerplay, cause they are trying to make him one of the elite men in the nhl. Leddy is old and getting washed up, he will show great example though for some of y'all youngunz. For surely. Leddy wasn't taking big role during the lou stint neither sire, there are reasons for that. Hronek will be made the truest soldier and one of the elite d-men in the league. That's why they hired him hard. Leddy is just a guarantee piece.
Not sure what you're talking about. Leddy led all NYI d-men in PP points and was second to Pulock in TOI. Leddy was a cap casualty for the Islanders because they had to re-sign Pelech and Beauvilier and didn't want to put Leddy on the Expansion list.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Not sure what you're talking about. Leddy led all NYI d-men in PP points and was second to Pulock in TOI. Leddy was a cap casualty for the Islanders because they had to re-sign Pelech and Beauvilier and didn't want to put Leddy on the Expansion list.
They had problems with the Lou powerplay sire. All season long, as before that season too. Pulock and dobson didn't quite get it. Toews neither back then. They tried so many different combos and leddy just stayed for a while. He (was not the reason) the powerplay got better. Other soldiers were. He (leddy) was just an accident. He won't be able to keep up with the nhl for long. Hronek is the key guy, much more harder too :clap: I like his game for life sire. Leddy was for years just an accident who came in when others crumbled under so many different situations.... leddy was just waiting for his chance. And he played some. Won't for long.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
What is your first pp unit going to be like sire?

Rasmussen - Larkin - Zadina
Hronek - Vrana
?

It won't be too far off of that. Maybe the good work Erne did for a bit on the PP last year earns him a spot ahead of Zadina/Rasmussen.

8 Forwards on the PP I can see as those named in your post, Bertuzzi, Erne, Fabbri, and Vlad, depending on Tanguay's preference and how pre-season looks it could be anything.

I suspect Hronek will start on the PP1 but he will have a short leash and Leddy will be there to step in if it is felt that a more experienced hand is needed. Hronek can be very calculating with the puck in his own end but seems to rush it when QB-ing the PP. To my mind at least, I could be seeing it wrong.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Islander fan here in peace.

The Islanders PP is a mess because it lacks a LH scoring threat to put on the RW half boards opposite Barzal. It's been that way since Tavares left. Anders Lee is the Net front guy, and everyone else that has been tried there just doesn't have the scoring touch. Nick Leddy has been the driver on the Islanders PP pretty much since he got on the Island. He's great at moving the puck up the ice, zone exits and especially zone entries.

This whole narrative that Nick Leddy lost a step, or is a black hole on defense was started by short sighted Islander fans who were cap obsessed. Cap space does not win hockey games, and Nick Leddy is a more than fine second pairing offensive D with plenty left in the tank. If put on a team with a competent PP, and allowed to jump into the play 5v5, he should have no problem posting 40+ points every season for the next 4-5 years. He's also a solid option in OT 3v3 because of his skating, puck moving and offensive ability.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Looks like Anisimov is doing a PTO with Colorado, now. So he won't be at our camp. IIRC, there was a photo and some rumor of him being a PTO for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00