Greiss

Reactions: lilidk

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi everyone.

For those who don’t subscribe to THG. He’s not an insider or anything, just a fan of the Game who does a nice job of keeping up with the NHL and puts out a fair amount of content, which is nice during the off-season.

I thought some of you might enjoy his Season preview for the Team during the slow news days of August, or perhaps share this with someone just learning about your Team. I find that although THG isn’t the most exciting personality, he breaks things down nicely for those newer to the Game.

Cheers

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
In former discussion there was mentioned that "centers won't grow on trees and we need lotto pick to acquire one".

Just looked for the 2018 class and:

#3 Jesperi Kotkaniemi, still struggling at MOntreal, no one knows does he pan out or not
#5 Barret Hayton, seems like a bust after his abysmal season
#13 Ty Dellandrea, entering in NHL, seems like gritty bottom6 guy
#18 Liam Foudy, not going anywhere at the moment. Winger at last season
#19 Jay O'Brien, still at college
#20 Rasmus Kupari, struggling at Kings farm system
#23 Isac Lundeström, second most NHL games and Faceoffs after Kotkaniemi, two seasons with 0.23 & 0.22 ppg level of production. Same as Rasmussen is able to do.
#30 Joe Veleno... what I saw last season and compared to others... I think he could become best of this class. :popcorn:
There are 4 centers in the next 2 drafts who are more highly regarded than any since Matthews.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
These players are 21 years old. Kotkaniemi put up 8 points in 19 playoff games. Do people still not understand that players peak in their mid to late 20s? That's why the Wings are still 7-10 years away. The center that we draft next year will only be 26 in 10 years.
Actually most players peak in their early to mid 20s.

Here is a list of Hart Trophy winners and their age when they won it.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ds/hart.html&usg=AOvVaw08XvQcKveXbzhwWGulW6OD
Screen+Shot+2020-02-22+at+5.12.26+PM.png
gBdl0YY.png

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Actually most players peak in their early to mid 20s.

Here is a list of Hart Trophy winners and their age when they won it.

That kind of only tells, on what age players are mostly on their peak of being selfish individuals.

Winning teams are lot more older teams usually than that average players "peak-age". Teams with 24-25 aged core are winning nothing. They are just learning how to win. This has happened for numerous superstars too. They can't win until the older age, when they get the experience.

Why so?

After the players individual peak, they'll start a period of playing for a teammate. Growth as an individual -->to a teamplayer. That change will lower the individual production, and it seems - when looking pure on statistics - that their peak is over. It looks like regressing. But it isn't. They play more defence - prevent opposite scoring, than scoring themselves, which is as effective for the team, or maybe more because also others raise their level. They are playing better for the team and less for themselves - and that creates a winner.

Steve Yzerman did score 155 points - was 24-year old - Team never won anything on that season.
Sergei Fedorov did score 120 points and won Hart - was 25-year old - Team never won anything on that season.

Etc.

Last edited:

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Plsyers become complete players in their mid to late 20s. They learn to play winning hockey. Look at Tampa for example. That's not a team of kids. Teams of kids don't win anything.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Vrana-Larkin-Zadina
Fabbri-Suter-Bertuzzi
Gagner-Rasmussen-Berggren
Erne-Stephens-Namestnikov

Leddy-Seider
Dekeyser-Hronek
Staal-Stecher

Nedeljkovic
Greiss

Extra : Lindstrom, Oesterle, Smith

First callups : Veleno, Hirose, Pearson, McIsaac, Newpower

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The good news is we can strike Nielsen off of our projected lineups.

I would think this allows Veleno and Pearson an easier path to a lineup spot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Most PK time per game from last 2 seasons:

1. Namestnikov, 1:42
2. Gagner, 1:13
3. Stephens, 1:00
4. Rasmussen, 0:35
5. Suter 0:31
6. Bertuzzi, 0:23
7. Larkin, 0:17

We have lost Glendening, Helm, Filppula and Nielsen from our most regular PK. They are really rebuilding the PK.

Think Stephens will take the main Center role on 1st PK with Namestnikov. Then 2nd PK will be Rasmussen-Gagner, Larkin-Bertuzzi is the 3rd forward pair, which will play least.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Filip Larsson I wouldn't have thrown in with that. Maybe he got Filip Hronek and Dylan Larkin in his brain and just lost track of who he was talking about?

Absolutely had to be a brain fart. If you're hyping a goalie in the system, it's not going to be Larsson, that's for sure.

Reactions: golffuul

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Given Verbeek's comments in his recent media availability you can remove any kids not named Seider or Smith from your lineups. He stated very clearly that they use the over ripen philosophy they learned from Ken Holland.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Zadina - Larkin - Vrana
Bertuzzi - Suter - Fabbri
Vlad N. - Rasmussen - Erne
Smith - Stephens - Gagner

Leddy - Hronek
Dan D - Seider
Staal - Stetcher

Greiss
Nedeljkovic

-----------------------------------------

The above is obviously with injuries permitting entering the season.

The first big fight for me out of pre-season is between Lindstrom and Stetcher. If Lindstrom can prove that he is worthy of that last roster spot then I think with how favourable Stetcher's deal is then a team wanting to contend could very well take a flyer on it, Winnipeg might be a good team to target in a trade but a serviceable RHD who is coming off a good international tournament on a good deal won't be a hard sell. Whether it is at the start of the season or closer to the deadline.

If Greiss continues his form from last year then a team might seriously look hard at him at the deadline, it will probably be another Bernier situation though, the name will probably crop up near the deadline but nothing will happen.

One name that almost certainly will crop up around the deadline will be Bertuzzi, if he can stay fit and produce at a good level and stay healthy then similar to Mantha last year, there will be a team out there willing to overpay. This will then open up a spot for one of Berggren or Raymond, possibly both (Give Raymond 9 games, slide a year on his ELC then play Berggren for the rest.)

Form dependant you could be looking at Fabbri and Namestnikov in trade rumours as well. None of them getting traded would surprise me in all honesty and I think that it will be done on the basis of acquiring draft capital to then make an aggressive move to draft early on, or take our chances with getting some high-end centreman in what is a highly acclaimed draft class.

Veleno is almost certainly going to be first call-up if a centre goes down, Hirose will probably find more opportunities this year, Pearson will also be knocking on the door, he can certainly be competing to get a spot on that 4th line.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad