Line Combos: Line combos

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Almost no chance Knight is the day 1 starter, but I love what he showed in the games he played last year. Maybe it becomes 1A/1B during the season if he's playing well but that's crazy high expectations to think he'll be the clear #1 from the start.
Based on what we've seen, I expect Q to default to Bob and make it his net to lose. If Knight seriously outplays Bob in his occasional starts, and especially if Bob gets pulled mid-game, then I expect Q to pull the trigger just weeks in.

Again, he's shown that he's willing to give Bob every opportunity that a veteran making $10m deserves. But he's also shown that he won't hold Knight back if Knight is the guy who clearly gives you the best chance to win.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Verhaeghe - Barkov - Reinhart
Huberdeau - Bennett - Tippett
Vatrano - Lundell - Duclair
Marchment - Acciari - Hornqvist

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyRulez

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
Verhaeghe - Barkov - Reinhart
Huberdeau - Bennett - Tippett
Vatrano - Lundell - Duclair
Marchment - Acciari - Hornqvist

Seems to be a pretty logical senario.

However, if you look a bit deeper into the roster, I believe something has to happen with both Vatrano and Acciari, before a final roster or lineup is set. It seems apparent that their $'s don't work for next year, and I am not so sure really they can fit this year

According to CF, the Cats have 15 F's (after Reinhart signs his extension). That count includes Eetu and Dalpe, but does not include, Lundell or Mamin. Also, obviously not included are either Denisenko or Heponiemi in that number. A nice "problem" to have, but that's as many as 19 F's for what most likely is 14 spots.

Further, only 5 of those F's mentioned have 2 way contracts (Eetu, Dalpe, Lundell, Denisenko, and Heponiemi). I am assuming that Dalpe, Deni and Hepo are more likely than the others to be destined for the AHL to start the season, which leaves 16 F's to battle for those 14 spots.

Gaining some future value, for 2 good not great players, before losing them anyway for nothing next season; to me makes some sense.

Thoughts?

Reactions: austropanther

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

However, if you look a bit deeper into the roster, I believe something has to happen with both Vatrano and Acciari, before a final roster or lineup is set. It seems apparent that their $'s don't work for next year, and I am not so sure really they can fit this year

According to CF, the Cats have 15 F's (after Reinhart signs his extension). That count includes Eetu and Dalpe, but does not include, Lundell or Mamin. Also, obviously not included are either Denisenko or Heponiemi in that number. A nice "problem" to have, but that's as many as 19 F's for what most likely is 14 spots.

Further, only 5 of those F's mentioned have 2 way contracts (Eetu, Dalpe, Lundell, Denisenko, and Heponiemi). I am assuming that Dalpe, Deni and Hepo are more likely than the others to be destined for the AHL to start the season, which leaves 16 F's to battle for those 14 spots.

Gaining some future value, for 2 good not great players, before losing them anyway for nothing next season; to me makes some sense.

Thoughts?
Will anyone pay anything of value for them? Not disrespect for the guys but teams are struggling to fit under the cap. Maybe for Vatrano?
If the offer is decent, sure, but if we get back a 7th round pick, I'd rather have the depth - use them as internal "deadline rentals".

Reactions: austropanther

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz

Thoughts?
Agreed, most likely won't see Deni, Hepo, Luostarinen, Dalpe and Mamin for quite a while. Lomberg, Lammikko as healthy scratches for now gives as 14 skaters, plus Juulsen on D, so we have our 3 scratches.

We are not there yet to win the SC so we don't need to take risks on retaining Vatrano, Acc or Nuti beyond the TDL and loose them for nothing at FA..

Since Barky will get paid next year, plus Verhaege's extension kicking in, we definitely see Gildon and/or Ludvig plus depending on their performances Deni, Hepo, Luosto and Mamin (in case we will keep them). Maybe keep Acc for a cheap contract next year.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Agreed, most likely won't see Deni, Hepo, Luostarinen, Dalpe and Mamin for quite a while. Lomberg, Lammikko as healthy scratches for now gives as 14 skaters, plus Juulsen on D, so we have our 3 scratches.

We are not there yet to win the SC so we don't need to take risks on retaining Vatrano, Acc or Nuti beyond the TDL and loose them for nothing at FA..

Since Barky will get paid next year, plus Verhaege's extension kicking in, we definitely see Gildon and/or Ludvig plus depending on their performances Deni, Hepo, Luosto and Mamin (in case we will keep them). Maybe keep Acc for a cheap contract next year.

I'm interested to see how Mamin looks after his stint in Russia. I'm not sure that I'd write him off to the AHL just yet. Why would he come over this year and play in the AHL when he could have just stayed in Russia for 1 more year then become a free agent?

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I'm interested to see how Mamin looks after his stint in Russia. I'm not sure that I'd write him off to the AHL just yet. Why would he come over this year and play in the AHL when he could have just stayed in Russia for 1 more year then become a free agent?
Yeah, I am very curious as well. His tool set is impressive. I am sure he gained a lot of confidence over the last two years. He should definitely get a shot. Our problem is though that only Luosto and Tippett are waiver exempt on our current roster, so we don't have as much wiggle room without exposing someone. And as we all now Q does not hand out roster spots easily, so Mamin will have to be performing and delivering from the first second on when he hits the ice.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Rewatching the highlights of all our games of last season, so far did January and February.
It helped me remember that during several games we had a line of Vatrano-Luostarinen-Tippett that was quite impressive at times (mostly in the offensive zone. Tippett was having big trouble in his own end at the beginning of the season)

Verhaege-Barkov-Duclair
Huberdeau-Bennett-Reinhart
Vatrano-Luostarinen-Tippett
Marchment-Acciari-Hörnqvist

This could also be an option to give Lundell more time, and we would basically have two first lines... crazy. Really curious to see what Luosto is capable of with another year under his belt.

Reactions: IceKitties

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
1. Huby- Barkov- Reinhart (gives us a power 1st line that will be one of the best in the league)
2. Verhaghe-Bennett-Duclair (give bennett the speed and skill wingers that barkov benefitted from last year)
3. Denisenko-Lundell-Tippett (young guns third line)
4. Vatrano-Acciari-Hornqvist (Have fun playing against this line)

Reactions: PSLguy and 5 Hole

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
1. Huby- Barkov- Reinhart (gives us a power 1st line that will be one of the best in the league)
2. Verhaghe-Bennett-Duclair (give bennett the speed and skill wingers that barkov benefitted from last year)
3. Denisenko-Lundell-Tippett (young guns third line)
4. Vatrano-Acciari-Hornqvist (Have fun playing against this line)

Seriously doubt Q breaks up Huby and Bennett, along with Verhaeghe and Barkov. The latter duo was excellent last season, and even without Huby, that duo, with Reinhart, will still be one of the best lines in the league.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wonder if Hornqvist struggles in a bottom six role with you guys as much as he seemed to in PIT his last two years. Will he still get 1st PP time, because once they started messing with him there seemed to mess with his game?

I didn't realize how deep FLA was at RW and I think bringing in Lundell next season balances out the chance that Bennett's time with FLA was a mirage. Hard to not get excited about watching this team next year.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I wonder if Hornqvist struggles in a bottom six role with you guys as much as he seemed to in PIT his last two years. Will he still get 1st PP time, because once they started messing with him there seemed to mess with his game?

I didn't realize how deep FLA was at RW and I think bringing in Lundell next season balances out the chance that Bennett's time with FLA was a mirage. Hard to not get excited about watching this team next year.
Can't see him not getting PP1 time - that's the strongest part of his game at this point - unless we have two comparable PP groups and then it's a 1A/1B type of scenario.
He's unlikely to be in the top 6 but I could see him on the 3rd line. Provided we go Verhaeghe-Barkov-Reinhart and Huby-Bennett-Tippett (which is how I'd start the season at least), that still leaves some very solid potential linemates for Hornqvist in Duclair, Vatrano, Lundell etc.
Anyway, Q has clearly established a system where your ice-time and roster spot depends on your level of play - both skill and compete. If the fourth line is clearly the best line in the game, then they'll get the most minutes even if it's RandomGuyA-RandomGuyB-RandomGuyC.

Reactions: brakeyawself

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Can't see him not getting PP1 time - that's the strongest part of his game at this point - unless we have two comparable PP groups and then it's a 1A/1B type of scenario.
He's unlikely to be in the top 6 but I could see him on the 3rd line. Provided we go Verhaeghe-Barkov-Reinhart and Huby-Bennett-Tippett (which is how I'd start the season at least), that still leaves some very solid potential linemates for Hornqvist in Duclair, Vatrano, Lundell etc.
Anyway, Q has clearly established a system where your ice-time and roster spot depends on your level of play - both skill and compete. If the fourth line is clearly the best line in the game, then they'll get the most minutes even if it's RandomGuyA-RandomGuyB-RandomGuyC.
It really depends on how our PP1 will be set up. Reinhart has the big advantage that he can play in front of the net but also could slide to the LW. His shot/one timer is dangerous enough whereas Hörnqvist's game and shot "limits" him to only work well in front of the net.
With Hörnqvist, we'd play a pretty straightforward PP style. Reinhart could provide some more unpredictability. I like both versions but there is no clear cut reason to bump Hörnqvist off the PP1 unit.

Agreed with your view that he will definitely not see any top-6 minutes from Hörnqvist. Let him crash and bang on the 3rd or 4th and enough PP time.

Reactions: brakeyawself

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees

I love that we have 2 guys that are going to make the goaltenders life hell in front of the net on two pp lines in hornqvist and Bennett.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
I love that we have 2 guys that are going to make the goaltenders life hell in front of the net on two pp lines in hornqvist and Bennett.

It is exciting to think about the upcoming Training Camp's competition that will go on, in battles for spots throughout this lineup. The thought of the Cats being able to ice 4 strong lines, capable of playing any opponent, in any type of game; I'm sure has Q smiling imagining the possibilities.

IMHO, in most Panther seasons past, there always seemed to be a lack of "quality depth" to support a strong bottom 6 , that could continuously pressure the opposition. To me, in games there was the tendency for far too much reliance on the top six, thus over playing the likes of Barky, Huby, and Trocheck as well. This of course took its toll, as any of these seasons rolled along, and the pressure for points grew.

Even though we lost to the Champs in Round 1 this past year, we pushed them to their limit as well as or better than any other opponent; with one our best players unavailable. As Panther fans, I think we all can sense that feeling there is something very different getting ready to happen this time around.

Personally, I can't wait...:hockey: :yo: :wg:

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I would bet that Reino is on PP1 and so is Ekblad. And Barky/Huby of course. Hornquist may be the last one or another D. Either way, I think they can be different and more effective than last season.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Do our Finnish friends know if Lundell has also played on the wing in Finland at some point?

With Barky, Bennett, Acciari, Luosto and even Reinhart as possible centers, might we see Lundell being eased into the NHL on the wing? Would not be the first time that we see this path for a rookie center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad