I think you start the season with this:

Verhaeghe-Barkov-Reinhart
Huberdeau-Bennett-Duclair
Vatrano-Lundell-Tippett
Marchment-Acciari-Hornqvist

Forsling-Ekblad
Montour-Weegar
Nutivaara-Gudas

And make changes from there. If Lundell drowns for whatever reason, you can always take Verhaeghe or Bennett and stick him at 3C if necessary.

I also think we have the depth to put Huby/Barky back together long term and run a second line of Verhaeghe-Bennett-Duclair

I like this but I could see Reinhart and Duke switch places. Verhaege-Barkov-Duke were dominant last year until they started getting banged up, Duke didn't score much but he had ton of chances which eventually should go in.

Reactions: teddygmr

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I like this but I could see Reinhart and Duke switch places. Verhaege-Barkov-Duke were dominant last year until they started getting banged up, Duke didn't score much but he had ton of chances which eventually should go in.

That's another option we can go with as well. There are so many potential combinations for Q's staff to work with this season, it's going to be really interesting to see what they decide and how it translates on ice.

Reactions: Ratsreign

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
That's another option we can go with as well. There are so many potential combinations for Q's staff to work with this season, it's going to be really interesting to see what they decide and how it translates on ice.

Yeah for sure. It's going to be super interesting to see what Q comes up with. Offensively this team should be one of the best in the league.

Reactions: Ratsreign

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I’d like to actually start by keeping the top line together, we know it’s an effective line, then keep Bennett at center in a top-6 role with Huberdeau but put reinhart on his wing too.

Verhaeghe-Barkov-Duclair
Huberdeau-Bennett-Reinhart

then experiment with the bottom-6. Maybe:

Vatrano-Lundell-Hornqvist/Tippett

Marchment-Acciari-Hornqvist/Tippett

Reactions: Panteras

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I’d like to actually start by keeping the top line together, we know it’s an effective line, then keep Bennett at center in a top-6 role with Huberdeau but put reinhart on his wing too.

Verhaeghe-Barkov-Duclair

That’s my thought as well.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz

Verhaeghe-Barkov-Duclair

How spoilt are we and how sad would it be for Tippett to eventually lose his spot just when he seemed to have found his groove with Huby and Bennett?
I'm a bit worried if we split this line up because Tippett could slip back to being a passenger. I'd rather have 3 great balanced lines rather than 2 top-scoring lines.

Little fun fact on the side: in the POs Barky was by far our worst player plus/minus wise with -8 in 6 games, followed by Nuti and Montour with -4...

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Verhaeghe-Barkov-Reinhart
Huberdeau-Bennet-Duclair
Vatrano-Lundell-Tippett
Marchment-Acciari-Hornqvist/Lomberg/Whoever

Forsling-Ekblad
Montour-Weegar
Nutivarra-Gudas

Bob
Knight

Top line has grit and skill, will absolutely dominate the league. Second line had so much chemistry before Duke's injury (he had 13 points, 5 G 8 A with Bennett/Huberdeau) against Dallas.

I really hate those two bottom pairings though. That is going to be a weakness this team struggles with all season.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I’m almost done rewatching our series with Tampa. I was on the fence about re-signing Montour but after watching again, he had a good series overall. He had tons of scoring chances and was pretty physical. Weegs did just okay but had trouble being the ‘number one’. Having Ek back will obviously do everyone else some good. Nuti has mobility but is soft.

-ghoste

Reactions: I am not exposed

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
I’m almost done rewatching our series with Tampa. I was on the fence about re-signing Montour but after watching again, he had a good series overall. He had tons of scoring chances and was pretty physical. Weegs did just okay but had trouble being the ‘number one’. Having Ek back will obviously do everyone else some good. Nuti has mobility but is soft.

-ghoste
I think putting Weegar on the left side with stralman was a big issue

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario

-ghoste

I didn't really understand the disappointment for Montour...I thought he was a fine addition. Maybe not as defensively solid as one might think we need right now, but for $3.5 per, I'll take it. He also really went to bat for the team and showed some guts with that whole Maroon exchange.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I didn't really understand the disappointment for Montour...I thought he was a fine addition. Maybe not as defensively solid as one might think we need right now, but for $3.5 per, I'll take it. He also really went to bat for the team and showed some guts with that whole Maroon exchange.
Yeah I thought he’d be our option B thinking we’d look for a defensive defenseman but I’m totally fine with him now. He fits our run and gun style perfectly.

-ghoste

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I like how in both of your scenarios Knight is the starter lol. ME LIKEY.
I mean people are dreaming if they think Bob is gonna be the starter. Unless Knight is a complete disaster if camp, it's his net, and Q has most likely seen enough of Bob starting and allowing 3 or more goals. Putting his team consistently behind the eight-ball

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I mean people are dreaming if they think Bob is gonna be the starter. Unless Knight is a complete disaster if camp, it's his net, and Q has most likely seen enough of Bob starting and allowing 3 or more goals. Putting his team consistently behind the eight-ball
A starter after 6 career NHL games and zero AHL games?
I really like Knight and I'm as far from being a Bob fan as possible, but I don't see how you give Knight the starter position out of the gate. 1A/1B maybe, but it's not just about his skill, it's also can he handle the workload? In the past two years, Knight has played 37 and 31 games. In the past 30 years, there have been exactly three <21 year old goalies who played at least forty games; their names: Carey Price (2007-2008), Steve Mason (2008-09), and Jocelyn Thibault in 1995-96. Price is the only guy who blossomed into a star; Mason had three very good seasons (including his 1st one) among a lot of mediocrity (rushed into the league?); Thibault was a starter, but a mediocre one despite absolutely excelling in juniors (also rushed?).
So I guess for me the question is, are you willing to bet on Knight being the second Price in 31 years (and even Price had to win his job over the course of the full season and played only 41 RS games), or will you be more careful with his development, at least until he proves he can handle it?

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I get that he’s super green but I mean if the kid plays better than Bob, I don’t see why we need to shoot our selves in the foot and go with Bob just because of that. How are we supposed to go all in and not at the same time?

-ghoste

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
It's a long season...I'm sure they'll have a pretty solid rotation schedule planned out ahead of time. I assume it'll be split pretty evenly unless one clearly takes the lead.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
What PP combos are we looking out for?

Personally, I could see the following :

PP1: Huberdeau - Barkov - Reinhart - Bennett(Forsling) - Ekblad
PP2: Hörnqvist - Verhaege - Duclair - Tippett(Montour) - Weegar

Forsling/Montour could be on the ice for insurance purposes in case we are holding a 1-goal lead at the time of the PP and are not obligated to score.
Bennett and Verhaege could switch although I like how Bennett looked on PP1 - Verhaege was so good at ES, giving Bennett the nod on special teams while keeping their overall time on ice around 18 min seemed to have worked great last year.

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
What PP combos are we looking out for?

Personally, I could see the following :

PP1: Huberdeau - Barkov - Reinhart - Bennett(Forsling) - Ekblad
PP2: Hörnqvist - Verhaege - Duclair - Tippett(Montour) - Weegar

Forsling/Montour could be on the ice for insurance purposes in case we are holding a 1-goal lead at the time of the PP and are not obligated to score.
Bennett and Verhaege could switch although I like how Bennett looked on PP1 - Verhaege was so good at ES, giving Bennett the nod on special teams while keeping their overall time on ice around 18 min seemed to have worked great last year.
I agree with Reinhart replacing Horny on PP1 RW, he is great at tip-ins from what I've seen
Maybe we see a guy like Duclair or Tippett on the point to have good goal scorer, unless we stay with Ekblad being the trigger man which is fine with me

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
A little off the beaten path but I like the depth of these lines:

Hornqvist - Barkov - Acciari

Huberdeau - Bennett - Tippett

Verhaege - Reinhart - Duclair

Vatrano- Thornton - Lundell

(Lomberg/Mamin/Marchment/Luosti)

Montour - Ekblad
Forsling - Weegar
Nutivaara - Gudas

Knight
Bobrovsky

Last edited:

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
A starter after 6 career NHL games and zero AHL games?
I really like Knight and I'm as far from being a Bob fan as possible, but I don't see how you give Knight the starter position out of the gate. 1A/1B maybe, but it's not just about his skill, it's also can he handle the workload? In the past two years, Knight has played 37 and 31 games. In the past 30 years, there have been exactly three <21 year old goalies who played at least forty games; their names: Carey Price (2007-2008), Steve Mason (2008-09), and Jocelyn Thibault in 1995-96. Price is the only guy who blossomed into a star; Mason had three very good seasons (including his 1st one) among a lot of mediocrity (rushed into the league?); Thibault was a starter, but a mediocre one despite absolutely excelling in juniors (also rushed?).
So I guess for me the question is, are you willing to bet on Knight being the second Price in 31 years (and even Price had to win his job over the course of the full season and played only 41 RS games), or will you be more careful with his development, at least until he proves he can handle it?

Yeah I agree, I don't think its a given that he starts. Bob might surprise back into Vezina form. We dont really know. The idea isn't implausible or even all that unlikely.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I agree with Reinhart replacing Horny on PP1 RW, he is great at tip-ins from what I've seen
Maybe we see a guy like Duclair or Tippett on the point to have good goal scorer, unless we stay with Ekblad being the trigger man which is fine with me
Ek definitely needs to be the trigger man. Not only does he have probably the widest array and highest quality of different shots on the team (snap shot, slap shot and one-timer), but we still keep a real Dman on the ice this way. Honestly, I am not a fan of 5-forward PP units.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see Duclair and Tippett on the PP1 - most likely we will see them when injuries hit or the stars need some rest

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
A little off the beaten path but I like the depth of these lines:

Hornqvist - Barkov - Acciari

Huberdeau - Bennett - Tippett

Verhaege - Reinhart - Duclair

Luostarinen- Lundell - Marchment (Lomberg/Mamin)

Montour - Ekblad
Forsling - Weegar
Nutivaara - Gudas

Knight
Bobrovsky
Man, would this lineup be deep on attack. But do you really need to screw with Barky that much? He does not deserve that, show some mercy and switch Hörnqvist with Verhaege. Barky should not have to push two wheelchairs around.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I love the discussion about PP combos, because Yandle’s name is totally missing! He’s gone! Hallelujah!
So I guess you would like this PP lineup:

No Yandle - definitely not Yandle - Keith Yandless
Neither Keith nor Yandle - S-GONE-K

Reactions: KW

IceKitties

Dec 31, 2017
Florida
Almost no chance Knight is the day 1 starter, but I love what he showed in the games he played last year. Maybe it becomes 1A/1B during the season if he's playing well but that's crazy high expectations to think he'll be the clear #1 from the start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad