Line Combos

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Eh, I'm not. You keep Sid & Geno on the PP and ES only, they can pull down 23 min of scoring threat a game each. Leave the PK to the experts. Unlike our PP, we typically have a good PK which are completely devoid of our 2 superstars.

In the regular season. It was torched last year against Philly and Tampa did fairly well the year before if I remember correctly. It definitely needs change whether that's different schemes and/or personnel changes.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
More Bylsma: You'll see different players with Malkin and Neal. Won't always be the same player. Depends on situation

More Bylsma: Legitimate chance Letang and Despres could play together come Saturday

More Bylsma: Martin and Orpik play together as a shutdown pair

I didn't see these posted.

ObsessedCreative*

Eh, I'm not. You keep Sid & Geno on the PP and ES only, they can pull down 23 min of scoring threat a game each. Leave the PK to the experts. Unlike our PP, we typically have a good PK which are completely devoid of our 2 superstars.

Why wouldn't you want that dynamic of having both of those guys out there on different PK units to keep the opposing players more honest in knowing that if they get too cute, they have Sid or Geno going in alone on their goalie for a shorty.

Geno used to play PK all the time and did it very well from what I recall.

They are both no defensive slouches and could really help out in that aspect of making other teams pay on their PP or as least make opposing teams think twice.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
SMH at just about all those things Disco said... rinse was and repeat with this guy.

UGHHHHH

i don't mind the defense pairings toooo much (I think Letang/Despres could be really great together), but I don't understand the 2nd line philosophy... why not put someone there and let them gel and develop a real chemistry?

ObsessedCreative*

i don't mind the defense pairings toooo much (I think Letang/Despres could be really great together), but I don't understand the 2nd line philosophy... why not put someone there and let them gel and develop a real chemistry?

Because Dan is an idiot. That just makes too much sense.

Also I really don't like the idea of SD seeing 1 pairing minutes.

I want him to make the team, but ideally i'd like to see him in the 3rd pairing role for this season and see how he progresses for the whole 48 games.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Disco has gone on record (as recently as last year, I think -EDIT: It was two seasons ago-) as saying that he doesn't believe in line chemistry. No joke. I don't know if that's just "coach speak" or not but it doesn't make a bit of sense, one way or the other.

Damnit. The quote was in a blurb on the official site during training camp during the 10-11 season... now I can't find it anywhere.

Last edited:

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Watching Glass playing on the 2nd line with Malkin and Neal while trying to "protect" a lead is going to lead me to some type of destructive vice. Just gotta figure out what it'll be cause I know it's going to happen at some point.

Tanner Glass is finagling himself into Craig Adams 2.0.

C'mon DB, don't overthink it, don't put some skill-challenged plug with the currently best player in the world and a 40-goal scorer because you want more defense from that line. Don't do it man, that's just overcoaching 101. There's no game situation that's going to call for Tanner Glass ever playing on one of the best lines in the NHL, he's not even a center so you can't throw out the face-off excuse either.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Because Dan is an idiot. That just makes too much sense.

Also I really don't like the idea of SD seeing 1 pairing minutes.

I want him to make the team, but ideally i'd like to see him in the 3rd pairing role for this season and see how he progresses for the whole 48 games.

I wasn't thinking of it as some reward to Despres. Of course, it's a great situation, but I also think there's some logic to it.

First, I think their games (tanger and despres) compliment each other. Second, Letang is unquestionably the best overall D on the team, and with his speed and brains, he can help cover up some of Despres' mistakes while still allowing him to learn and grow and play without fear. Finally, it's OK to occasionally put your younger players in the best possible situation.

(Bonus: is there a better partner for Letang who is currently on the team? I didn't feel like they got much out of anyone they put with Letang last year, more like mitigated their ability to be a train wreck (mostly with regards to Martin and Orpik)

ObsessedCreative*

I wasn't thinking of it as some reward to Despres. Of course, it's a great situation, but I also think there's some logic to it.

First, I think their games (tanger and despres) compliment each other. Second, Letang is unquestionably the best overall D on the team, and with his speed and brains, he can help cover up some of Despres' mistakes while still allowing him to learn and grow and play without fear. Finally, it's OK to occasionally put your younger players in the best possible situation.

(Bonus: is there a better partner for Letang who is currently on the team? I didn't feel like they got much out of anyone they put with Letang last year, more like mitigated their ability to be a train wreck (mostly with regards to Martin and Orpik)

If it were up to me I'd hope that guys bounced back from a really weird year last year and would go with...

Letang Orpik
Nisk Martin
Despres Engellend
Bort or Strait

For me I like the balance of a stay at home defender paired with a more mobile guy.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site

I love me some Letang. Man-crush on that sick flow.

But...am I the only one who finds it odd to praise Letang's brain? He's still relatively young, especially as a defenseman, he's still learning and evolving. But I've never counted him among the those with the best hockey sense on this team.

ObsessedCreative*

I love me some Letang. Man-crush on that sick flow.

But...am I the only one who finds it odd to praise Letang's brain? He's still relatively young, especially as a defenseman, he's still learning and evolving. But I've never counted him among the those with the best hockey sense on this team.

I too love Letang as well, but his composure in big game time situations is complete and utter dog-****.

dSIyPHWv.jpeg

embarrassing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If it were up to me I'd hope that guys bounced back from a really weird year last year and would go with...

Letang Orpik
Nisk Martin
Despres Engellend
Bort or Strait

For me I like the balance of a stay at home defender paired with a more mobile guy.

that 2nd pairing would get manhandled

I too love Letang as well, but his composure in big game time situations is complete and utter dog-****.

dSIyPHWv.jpeg

embarrassing.

didn't he address this and admit it is something he needs to work on in the exit interviews last year?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
that 2nd pairing would get manhandled

Agree with that part for sure. Would be one of the softest second pairings in hockey. Not because Nisky won't hit anyone but because he's just not big enough or strong enough to make up for Eggs Martin and his hollandaise-like D.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I didn't see these posted.

Mainly based on the seasons both had last year, it's a little worrying that Martin/Orpik is concerned the "shutdown pairing". Typically speaking, you don't want your two worst performing players trying to shut down the other team's best. :sarcasm:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
talbot was the kind of guy who could pull it off. it was original at the time too. Letang seriously looked like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum a few times this year.

He is a long ways down the list of reasons why we lost against Philly. I'm sure people had a problem with Sid trolling too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad