Line Combos

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
We lost Staal for Sutter & now we're going to take more offense off that third line? So much for depth. I really hope Tangradi, Bennett, or DJ get's that spot.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We lost Staal for Sutter & now we're going to take more offense off that third line? So much for depth. I really hope Tangradi, Bennett, or DJ get's that spot.

I agree. This is definitely a part of why I don't want TK in the top 6. He is a very solid source of production on that third line.

and yes, lets get Jamie Benn. Its so simple

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I'm calling Cooke taking that spot.

Cooke stays on checking #3 line where he plays to his strengths. He does not have top 6 scoring ability. He has never finished above TK in pts/60min either. 3rd line is going to have DJ on it to replace TK unless BB makes the roster in camp. I would love him too, but I have my doubts towards the coaching staff. They always seem to ignore the scoring potential in favor of exaggerating every little defensive gaff the younger players make.

Our 3rd line is going to be more defensive this year and have more D zone time with Staal gone. You don't want to lock up TKs production by having him trapped in his own zone on that 3rd line. DJ will be best played there IMO with his solid 2 way play.

Tangradi is still the odd man out in the top 9 IMO. I don't see any area he excels in, offensively (4th liner production rates) or defensively (very poor). He's not fast or tenacious enough to be a puck retriever either like Kunitz, Duppers or TK is.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Okay, the season is back, I am back...and so are my capgeek fantasies.

Hear me out...

Martin for whatever we can get.

TK for Murray

Offer sheet Jamie Benn if Joe can't get him signed. $6.5/6yrs. We can handle the cap hits this year. Benn slides in to a 2C role if Sid or Geno ever go down. Worst case, we see a Neal-Benn-Malkin Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis top 6 if we need a center presence for Geno.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Jamie Benn ($6.500m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Eric Tangradi ($0.726m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.525m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.300m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,599,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,700,667

But what about resigning Letang and Malkin!!!!??? No worries.

Malkin signs for the same cap hit to follow suit with Sid. When Letang is up, so is Orpik. We trade or let Orpik go and let a prospect take over. That money goes to Letang. Kunitz, Cooke, and Duper are also up. Kunitz is let go, Tangradi takes over. Cooke and Duper are resigned for $1mil/2yr. Adams goes away, as does Glass. The money saved on Kunitz helps resign Sutter.

So then...in 2014, the line up looks like...

Benn(6.5)-Crosby(8.7)-Bennett(.9k)
Tangradi(1.5)-Malkin(8.7)-Neal(5)
Cooke(1)-Sutter(3.5)-Dupuis(1)
Grinder(.75)-Vitale(.9)-Grinder(.75)

Letang(6.5)-Despres(.84)
Morrow/Dumoulin/Harrington(.89/.9/.89
Niskanen(2.5)-Engo(1)

MAF(5)
Zatkoff(.525)

Cap: 57,365,000
Space: 6.935...just enough to bring in a Top pairing dman.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....I'm proud of myself. :)

Can't get the numbers to change on

Great plan, aside from Dallas matching the offer sheet . . . ;)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Cooke stays on checking #3 line where he plays to his strengths. He does not have top 6 scoring ability. He has never finished above TK in pts/60min either. 3rd line is going to have DJ on it to replace TK unless BB makes the roster in camp. I would love him too, but I have my doubts towards the coaching staff. They always seem to ignore the scoring potential in favor of exaggerating every little defensive gaff the younger players make.

Our 3rd line is going to be more defensive this year and have more D zone time with Staal gone. You don't want to lock up TKs production by having him trapped in his own zone on that 3rd line. DJ will be best played there IMO with his solid 2 way play.

Tangradi is still the odd man out in the top 9 IMO. I don't see any area he excels in, offensively (4th liner production rates) or defensively (very poor). He's not fast or tenacious enough to be a puck retriever either like Kunitz, Duppers or TK is.

That line doesn't need more scoring as much as it needs a guy who can muck it up in the corners. And I think the 3rd line could really use TK because of the scoring he brings in that role. I really hope we don't make this decision purely on individual point totals.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
second line spot with Geno and Neal is a golden opportunity for one of the young players , Jeffrey/Tangradi/Bennett to step up and prove something. I'd really hate to see Cooke or TK on that line...I like the depth of them on the 3rd line with Sutter. Sure hope one of those 3 guys can prove something...too many times we see an open spot like this and nobody steps up and claims it like you'd hope.

I'm really pushing for Bennett because his ceiling is the most intriguing, but on the other hand I'd really like to see Tangradi or Jeffrey claim it because I've kind of given up hope on them for the most part and obviously one one them stepping it up improves the depth of the club.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
With Dupuis do we really need another straight line guy with chest sniping abilities in the top 6? One wasn't enough now we want to add Kennedy to it? It doesn't make sense on a lot of levels.

We need to find out if Bennetts ready & what DJ & Tangradi are at the pro level. If none of that works out then we need to go out & get someone. No Stanley Cup team has a Kennedy or a Dupuis on it's first line.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
With Dupuis do we really need another straight line guy with chest sniping abilities in the top 6? One wasn't enough now we want to add Kennedy to it? It doesn't make sense on a lot of levels.

We need to find out if Bennetts ready & what DJ & Tangradi are at the pro level. If none of that works out then we need to go out & get someone. No Stanley Cup team has a Kennedy or a Dupuis on it's first line.

TK as the option to play with Malkin and Neal should be a major, MAJOR signal to Shero that a trade is disparately needed. TBH, TK in the Top 6 should not be an option to start the season.

wtbipyo

Jun 24, 2010
I really hope Bennett, Jeffrey or even Megna can impress on that line. Bennett is producing with no space in WBS, so I would love to see him work with space Geno/Neal will create for him.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
TK as the option to play with Malkin and Neal should be a major, MAJOR signal to Shero that a trade is disparately needed. TBH, TK in the Top 6 should not be an option to start the season.

Shero shouldn't need that signal anyway. Ideal world, this team goes into the playoffs with a third line of Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis.

wtbipyo

Jun 24, 2010

Tangradi should be thought of in the same sense. Had his chance last season.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Tangradi should be thought of in the same sense. Had his chance last season.

No, he didn't. It was quite obvious for anyone paying attention.

For those who werent, MB put that BS to bed with his post detailing his shift charts.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

For those who werent, MB put that BS to bed with his post detailing his shift charts.

Yeah... I really wish I would have bookmarked that post because I really don't feel like searching for it again.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Shero shouldn't need that signal anyway. Ideal world, this team goes into the playoffs with a third line of Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis.

Agreed although Dupuis did show a bit of a goal scorer prowess last season. I wouldn't be crushed if he was on Sid's wing going into the playoffs as long Sid had a skilled winger (assuming Kunitz gets put back with Malkin and Neal).

Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis with TK on the 4th would be nice as well.

Something I thought about...what about Dustin Brown? What might it take to get him? LA didn't put it all together until the last minute...no telling if they will even make the playoffs this year. If they are out of the hunt...any possibility he might be available?

Brown-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

would be a tough Top 6 to manage over a 7 game series.

wtbipyo

Jun 24, 2010

Agreed. DB might not have given many top 6 shifts...

But why are we giving this guy a shot with basically the top line in the NHL? His work in the AHL is average and we all gripe about his work ethic. I know PWFs take some time, but Bennett is already ahead of him. Bennett or a trade for me...

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

But why are we giving this guy a shot with basically the top line in the NHL? His work in the AHL is average and we all gripe about his work ethic. I know PWFs take some time, but Bennett is already ahead of him. Bennett or a trade for me...

Bennett isn't a power forward.

wtbipyo

Jun 24, 2010
Don't bother. Certain posters have their agendas and won't let troublesome facts get in the way.

Some of us don't have 9000+ posts and come on here for quick conversations. Sorry I missed the troublesome facts. Starting to remember why I stopped posting on here.

Tangradi is not the answer for replacing Kunitz.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

How about if DB had given him a regular shift? He never did... Dig up MBs post if you want the facts.

And his work ethic is being questioned now? By who?

Tangradi had always been praised for being a leader and a hard worker since his jr days, straight through the A.

Tangradi has the talent to play in the top six, Cooke and TK are pluggers with maxed out upside.

If you want to develop talent, you give them opportunities. That simple.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

has he had the chance to play a support role with two very skilled players in the AHL? Or has he been put in a position to try to be "the guy?" I seriously haven't watched but based on the team around him, I think I know the answer.

The position that is open in the NHL is completely different than anything that can be shown in the AHL. That role simply doesn't exist on the WBS team. Tangradi may never be a top 6 NHLer. We don't know. I can even understand having doubts. But there is still a chance at least. TK and Cooke will NOT be top 6 NHLers. We have seen enough evidence to know that at this point. If Tangradi fails at that spot, TK can step in after 25 games and fill the role exactly how he would fill it if he was in that spot this coming Saturday. That's why I would try Tangradi there. At least there's a chance of it working out with him developing into a solid player there.

wtbipyo

Jun 24, 2010
How about if DB had given him a regular shift? He never did... Dig up MBs post if you want the facts.

And his work ethic is being questioned now? By who?

Tangradi had always been praised for being a leader and a hard worker since his jr days, straight through the A.

Tangradi has the talent to play in the top six, Cooke and TK are pluggers with maxed out upside.

If you want to develop talent, you give them opportunities. That simple.

I will admit that a lot of my thoughts come from watching him in the past few WBS games plus NHL games last season. How long do we wait on him though and can we chance him in a 48 game season?

This all stems from DB not letting youth play like other organizations...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Some of us don't have 9000+ posts and come on here for quick conversations. Sorry I missed the troublesome facts. Starting to remember why I stopped posting on here.

Tangradi is not the answer for replacing Kunitz.

What does 9k posts in a decade have to do with you stating something that isn't true?

Don't act all butthurt because you make a ridiculous claim and people call you on it.

As I said, you didn't have to come on here to know Tangradi wasn't given a chance. All you had to do was watch the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad