Rumor: Linden " wheels in motion " jersey change?

Slashy McSlewfoot

Aug 17, 2005
I actually don't think this is the case, much as it was a commonly-suggested explanation – there are any number of ways to include the city name in a manner that actually fits with the rest of the symbol, like this or this or this.

Having it humongous and completely unstylized was a lame attempt to give a nod to the WHL Canucks (who had no logo underneath!) that was sure to be lost on 99% of people, as has proven the case. There'd be no problem with a wordmark if it was actually made to fit, and could have been a good opportunity to actually fit in the green that is awkwardly missing from the team's current crest.
Is this a fact or your opinion? Not calling you out or anything either way, just curious because I hadn't heard that before.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
it was an obvious ploy to cash in on olympic momentum. i didn't like them at first but they've really grown on me. don't change them at all. i wouldn't mind a skate or white stick throwback, but get rid of johnny canuck forever. burn him in a fire. never put on those ugly millionaires things again. and stay away from the green. we got a good thing going right now, don't mess with it.

This, especially the bolded part. The millionaires jerseys are an abomination from the lowest pit of hell... the heritage classic was completely unwatchable (for reasons in addition to poor play).... the patterns of the two teams uniforms on television literally gave me a headache.

The modern stick and rink is the best. The Orca with letters is fine as well (and yes, people around the world love stuff that says "vancouver" on it, deal with it). I hated them at first but now I'm used to them.

As someone else wrote, there is no natural logo for a "Canuck", so we should stick with what we have and stop changing it. They should also never change the colour scheme again. Les Habs sont bleu, blanc, et rouge, and we are blue, green, and white. That's the West Coast.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Not from the area, but have spent a little bit of time there and follow and support the team.

Am heading there in a few days, will be catching a game and of course picking up a new jersey.

As an outsider and with what I think is some fashion sense, the current jersey with the orca is sharp looking and the colours and logo identify with the area or region.

If it 'ain't broke don't fix it; of course there are business considerations to be had also in terms of merchandising and selling to people that have to update; and the 'Vancouver' might be a little unnecessary.

The '94 era jerseys were also sharp looking, at least on ice, but the current one, sans 'Vancouver' looks much better as casual wear on t-shirts, hoodies and scarves and the like too; and I'm generally no fan of wearing team sportswear about anywhere outside of game day.

The likes of reds and yellows is just too loud..and ugly, no matter what the design.

A killer whale is a mighty beast; and sure beats a duck or a penguin any day.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Is this a fact or your opinion? Not calling you out or anything either way, just curious because I hadn't heard that before.
That's obviously not their phrasing of choice, but from the time they released the uniform they've said the wordmark was a callback to the WHL Canucks (I think it was even in the initial presentation video, wasn't it?), who looked like this:

preview_821_83819.jpg

Slashy McSlewfoot

Aug 17, 2005
That's obviously not their phrasing of choice, but from the time they released the uniform they've said the wordmark was a callback to the WHL Canucks (I think it was even in the initial presentation video, wasn't it?), who looked like this:

preview_821_83819.jpg

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks!

I'm pretty jaded though, and I still feel like catching some tourist dollars had something to do with the wordmark :laugh:

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I think people are really reaching on the tourist thing

Would you go to Sochi and be more likely to buy a jersey from a local sports team(unrelated to the olympics) for $100+ simply because it had the word Sochi in the logo?

No, I don't think so. I don't think that is a make or break addition for anybody

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver

Would you go to Sochi and be more likely to buy a jersey from a local sports team(unrelated to the olympics) for $100+ simply because it had the word Sochi in the logo?

No, I don't think so. I don't think that is a make or break addition for anybody

No I wouldn't and that's why Chris Zimmerman was fired , that and the 7th man banner

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Agreed. What tourist goes to a city and gets a hockey jersey anyways. So many other things I'd likely buy before a jersey to remember my trip.

Slashy McSlewfoot

Aug 17, 2005
Agreed. What tourist goes to a city and gets a hockey jersey anyways. So many other things I'd likely buy before a jersey to remember my trip.

You guys are right, since you wouldn't buy a hockey jersey as a souvenir nobody else in the world would. My bad!

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
You guys are right, since you wouldn't buy a hockey jersey as a souvenir nobody else in the world would. My bad!

Where did we say that? For a tourist that doesn't like hockey, why would they get a jersey, just because it solely says Vancouver on it? And if you are a hockey fan, there's likely no way you look at a jersey, let alone buy it, because it's the Canucks and that hockey fan likely hates us. :laugh:

Slashy McSlewfoot

Aug 17, 2005
Where did we say that? For a tourist that doesn't like hockey, why would they get a jersey, just because it solely says Vancouver on it? And if you are a hockey fan, there's likely no way you look at a jersey, let alone buy it, because it's the Canucks and that hockey fan likely hates us. :laugh:

It has west coast art, and tourists would know that we live and breathe hockey here. Honestly I can't stand the Orca jersey but if I was a tourist looking for something like that I could see the appeal. The wordmark certainly would help, anyways.

And yes, I am suggesting that out of the hundreds of thousands of tourists that travel here, some of them would buy a jersey that displays the city name on it. Especially during the winter Olympics. Are you suggesting this is impossible?

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
As someone who qualifies as a tourist... I do actually like the word Vancouver on the jersey. (I never understood the next negativity toward it)

I think it is good because it's different. Breaks up the colors. And gives a sense of representation...

And yes I do buy into the fact that tourists are more likely to buy one as a souvenir because it says van on it...

However I do not have one because it is too expensive... and I think most tourists would say the same... so it fails in that regard...

As a fan in another country It definitely helps to have van on the logo... (at least it would) as I am always having to explain the team when I wear other Canucks clothing...

Funny thing though... I can wear a Canuck logo and Canadians know Vancouver... (when I see them) but with local sports teams it is the colors that people go by.... The logo is small ( the size of a 5$ note at MOST...)

It is also different because people in the us and Canada tend to support franchises... we support area... I support Canucks because it's BCs team... so having VANCOUVER on the jersey is a sense of pride...

It is the same for most all NZ Australia and SA? Union, League, Cricket, that silly game Australians play on a cricket field where they keep kicking the ball away...

For what it's worth...

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
And if I was buying a hockey jersey as a gift to take back for some one. And I had a choice between a jersey with Vancouver on it and one without... I would go for the one with... but that's just me

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I'm

As someone who qualifies as a tourist... I do actually like the word Vancouver on the jersey. (I never understood the next negativity toward it)

I think it is good because it's different. Breaks up the colors. And gives a sense of representation...

And yes I do buy into the fact that tourists are more likely to buy one as a souvenir because it says van on it...

However I do not have one because it is too expensive... and I think most tourists would say the same... so it fails in that regard...

As a fan in another country It definitely helps to have van on the logo... (at least it would) as I am always having to explain the team when I wear other Canucks clothing...

Funny thing though... I can wear a Canuck logo and Canadians know Vancouver... (when I see them) but with local sports teams it is the colors that people go by.... The logo is small ( the size of a 5$ note at MOST...)

It is also different because people in the us and Canada tend to support franchises... we support area... I support Canucks because it's BCs team... so having VANCOUVER on the jersey is a sense of pride...

It is the same for most all NZ Australia and SA? Union, League, Cricket, that silly game Australians play on a cricket field where they keep kicking the ball away...

For what it's worth...
No one ever took issue with the city name appearing, this is common. Rather it's the fact it's not integrated in any way, and appears in giant, unstylized letters above the crest. In 2007-14, this looks really strange.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I just bought about ten jerseys, albeit mostly plain colours, though I picked up a couple of LA shirts in LA and a couple of Canucks shirts too because I figured they were cheaper there.

I bought the blue stick in rink which I prefer for any casual wear because it's a little more discrete without a big 'Vancouver' plastered across the front, but my boy preferred the Orca with the 'Vancouver' and he doesn't really follow or like hockey but thought the shirt was pretty cool.

I'm going to pick up a white one with the Orca and city name but wouldn't wear it anywhere because of the 'Vancouver'. Strictly for pick up. The logo is great though.

Kreegrom

Dec 9, 2014
The blue and green colors are great; they look good together, are unique to the Canucks (now that the Whalers are gone), and are representative of the northwest coast.

The stick-in-rink is good as a secondary logo but doesn't have enough flavor or personality for a main logo. It's a generic hockey stick and rink that any city with a hockey team could wear. Sure it's simple enough for a "classic" look, but that doesn't hold much weight in my opinion, for 2 reasons: "simple" is not even necessary for a classic look (Detroit, Chicago), and much of the love for these older logos is because of the history connected to them, not for the standalone emblem. It's been my experience that people less familiar with hockey don't like the "classic" logos as much, suggesting much of their value is imparted from the history. I feel that Vancouver can get the same effect by not drastically changing it every ten years, just give it time. The team has had more success and fame under the current logo than any other; changing it now will only hurt brand recognition.

The flying skate suffers from the same generic-ness; people are wearing nostalgia goggles regarding this one, and that's fine, but the logo itself just isn't that great.

I also don't like the Johnny Canuck logo. It's comical looking, no one will recognize it outside of BC, and in general people make poor sports logos in my opinion.

The orca is easily my favorite. The orca is the world's apex predator (after humans); seriously, no animal is more badass. This thing is massive, extremely intelligent, hunts in packs, and eats sharks and freakin' polar bears for breakfast. It also has a strong connection to the northwest, unlike anything in the other Canucks logos. It's aggressive looking and done in an art style unique to the region; all in all a perfect symbol for a northwestern hockey team.

The corporate argument makes no sense to me, every professional sports logo will be "corporate"; the Canucks ARE a corporation, not a high school or community-league hockey team. Maybe someone who feels this way can explain it to me.

The orca is also much more marketable in my opinion. I live in the states and not everyone here is familiar with hockey. From personnel experience, everyone I've talked to who isn't familiar with the history of the sport or the team has overwhelming preferred the orca logo over the others. I feel these people are more qualified to give an objective assessment of a logos value as an image than those who are perhaps too emotionally invested in past cup runs. For those who feel a historical perspective is required in evaluating the logo, I still feel the orca is the strongest choice; as a I already mentioned the team has had more success and visibility with the orca than any other logo.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
No one ever took issue with the city name appearing, this is common. Rather it's the fact it's not integrated in any way, and appears in giant, unstylized letters above the crest. In 2007-14, this looks really strange.

Every thing I said has that in mind...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The word mark works by letting non-NHL/hockey fans instantly know something they wouldn't with just an logo. If someone decides to get into hockey they already know the name of one team, if not then Vancouver the city still got burned into someone mind. I could definitely see it appealing to casual buyers or tourists because of the "Vancouver" more than hockey because it works be a souvenir representing somewhere you visited (been there bought the t-shirt so to speak).

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
The word mark works by letting non-NHL/hockey fans instantly know something they wouldn't with just an logo. If someone decides to get into hockey they already know the name of one team, if not then Vancouver the city still got burned into someone mind. I could definitely see it appealing to casual buyers or tourists because of the "Vancouver" more than hockey because it works be a souvenir representing somewhere you visited (been there bought the t-shirt so to speak).

I don't mind the word mark as much
But I'd still prefer it taken off the front of the jersey
Maybe incorporate it around a shoulder patch or something

sithoutcast

Jul 31, 2007
Can anyone do a mock up of a Canucks version of the Pens new 3rd? I love how the colour goes up the arm.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I was curious...

Other teams that have a jersey with their city name on the front:

Boston, Buffalo, Colorado, Calgary, CBJ, LA, Minny, NYI, NYR, St. Louis, TB, Toronto, Washington.

14/30

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I was curious...

Other teams that have a jersey with their city name on the front:

Boston, Buffalo, Colorado, Calgary, CBJ, LA, Minny, NYI, NYR, St. Louis, TB, Toronto, Washington.

14/30

Let's not forget that

Ana,chi,det,nashville, wpg have also had the city name on their jerseys at one time or another.

So when more than half the league does it, that's ok. But as soon as the Canucks do it, that's a disgraceful money grab.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad