Linden Vey

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd be kinda shocked if he gets qualified as an RFA, because he'd be due a raise.... but I suppose if they do sign him, since he's already cleared waivers once he'd probably clear again....decent depth guy in Utica.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'd be kinda shocked if he gets qualified as an RFA, because he'd be due a raise.... but I suppose if they do sign him, since he's already cleared waivers once he'd probably clear again....decent depth guy in Utica.

If he is designated as anything more than Utica's 3rd center it would be a horrible idea. He proved last season he couldn't carry the first center role. Spent most of his time here turning tail to avoid physicality.

If Benning does what he didn't do last season he acquires a true #1 center for the Comets. If Hensick is resigned as he stated he wanted to do, he'd be a much better #2 than Vey as well. If Vey is #3, he supplants Cassels and that would stunt the real prospect's development.

Vey has had plenty of time to prove his worth and he has failed to do such. If he can't be traded for ANYTHING or if he passes through waivers, it proves no other NHL team finds him of value either. It's time to cut the cord.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Qualify him and send him to Utica... If he clears great if not too bad. We gave up a 2nd for him and people are always talking about giving up value for no reason... Letting him walk is the definition of losing value. These are some possible outcomes

1. Let him walk (awful asset management)
2. Qualify him and use him with the big club if he earns a spot at camp (good...?)
3. Qualify him and waive him to Utica play him to increase his value (ideal)
4. Qualify him, waive him, he gets claimed (same as scenario #1 but at least we tried)

At best we have a depth player that gets a few games shows improvement and becomes a useful piece moving forward

At worst he walks and becomes a solid NHL centre for another club and we get nothing for him.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Qualify him and send him to Utica... If he clears great if not too bad. We gave up a 2nd for him and people are always talking about giving up value for no reason... Letting him walk is the definition of losing value. These are some possible outcomes

2. Qualify him and use him with the big club if he earns a spot at camp (good...?)
4. Qualify him, waive him, he gets claimed (same as scenario #1 but at least we tried)

At best we have a depth player that gets a few games shows improvement and becomes a useful piece moving forward

At worst he walks and becomes a solid NHL centre for another club and we get nothing for him.
The thing with having him on the NHL club (as say, a fourth-line winger) is that this coach is never going to accept a limited role for him. Willie is inevitably going to end up overusing him as a middle-six forward because he's dead set on proving that's what he is.

He's had two years and gotten tons of opportunity. I feel awful for what he's had to go through and hope he lands somewhere, but Benning shouldn't be making offers on a second-round pick he traded away two years ago. Time to cut the loss.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Definition of the sunk cost fallacy.

We've already lost the 2nd rounder we gave up for him. The value is already gone. He's a crap player, we've all seen it. Letting him walk for free is losing nothing. He wasn't good in Utica, he wasn't good here. Why would he become a solid NHL centre for anyone else when he's shown no sign of being one here?

Vey here is a liability. Willie has shown no restraint when it comes to Vey, we're better off with him gone.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Letting him walk is the definition of losing value.

This assumes that he has any sort of perceived value outside of Willie Desjardin's mind. I'm incredibly skeptical that other NHL GMs are salivating at the thought of Linden Vey coming on the market.

If we're going into drug induced fantasy mode, the worst is that he becomes the next Dwayne Johnson and becomes WWE champion and a major Hollywood movie star, before coming back to sign a 1 year deal with the Bruins, winning the Cup again.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

He can be qualified and offered a 2-way contract. The raise is negligible. It's $5000. And if he gets sent down to the AHL he will cost $100,000 in cap space. I would qualify him and have him battle for a roster spot. If he gets sent down he will likely clear waivers. If not it's okay.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He can be qualified and offered a 2-way contract. The raise is negligible. It's $5000. And if he gets sent down to the AHL he will cost $100,000 in cap space. I would qualify him and have him battle for a roster spot. If he gets sent down he will likely clear waivers. If not it's okay.

As long as WD is the coach this is a bad idea for both the Canucks and the Comets.

First he will avoid any possibility of making contact with an AHL opponent. He does this for two reasons:1, he is afraid to get hit and 2, he is making sure he doesn't get injured so he is ready for his call-up.

What call-up you may ask? The second a Canuck forward is injured, especially a center, Willie will request the return of Vey, just like last season. Then he will be given much more opportunity than any other call-up usually gets, again just like last year. The only way WD can't get to overplay this guy is if he isn't anywhere in the system. He's proven well over enough time that he doesn't have what it takes to be a pro hockey player.

CH9

Jul 24, 2013
Victoria, BC
I don't hate him as a player, and I actually think he made progress this past season, but I honestly just don't think there's room for him, whether on wing or at centre. Also, Granlund is kind of like a better version of Vey.. Again, think he's an ok player.. Just doesn't fit on this roster.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I have no issues qualifying him with a 2-way deal so they don't take a hit when he gets sent down (i know I know it isn't my money but at some point there comes a point when ownership will start giving this team a budget). Would cost a minimal amount of cap space when he gets sent down.

I also have no issues with not qualifying him. he is the very definition of "meh".

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There will literally be 20 better AHL centers available this offseason that can be signed at a lower cap hit and won't be a coach's pet.

Again, the guy is just a terrible player. Awful. There is zero reason he should play another game in the organization.

2 ES goals in 67 games last year between the AHL and NHL while getting top-6 minutes almost the entire time. That's one of the most impressively inept statistics I've ever seen.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
There will literally be 20 better AHL centers available this offseason that can be signed at a lower cap hit and won't be a coach's pet.

Again, the guy is just a terrible player. Awful. There is zero reason he should play another game in the organization.

2 ES goals in 67 games last year between the AHL and NHL while getting top-6 minutes almost the entire time. That's one of the most impressively inept statistics I've ever seen.
Yup. It's time to cut bait with Vey. I feel bad for the guy, with what he's gone through the past couple years off the ice, but he's just not an effective NHL player with this team, despite being given a pretty incredible set of opportunities and playing for the coach who helped turn him into a junior star.

A guy with his skill set would probably tear **** up in Switzerland or Germany, though. A couple years overseas could work wonders with his game and mental health.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I would be ok with signing him and starting him in Utica.

Use him like this year as a call up for when injuries hit hard.

Despite the lack of offense, he'll be much more reliable defensively than any AHL caliber centers we have. People like to ignore it, but he played well when called up. Team was in the tank, but he was fine.
$700K

Edit... Having said that.. I think I'd rather see him leave for lightning rod effect he has.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I would be ok with signing him and starting him in Utica.

Use him like this year as a call up for when injuries hit hard.

Despite the lack of offense, he'll be much more reliable defensively than any AHL caliber centers we have. People like to ignore it, but he played well when called up. Team was in the tank, but he was fine.

No, he didn't. At all.

He had a good stretch of 6 or 8 games at one point shortly after being called up. Other than that, he was absolutely horrible.

Produced 4th line offensive numbers at ES from 2nd line minutes while being crap defensively, a crap possession player, one of the worst faceoff centers in the NHL, and providing no intangibles whatsoever. He was, quite simply, one of the very worst players to play more than 40 games in the NHL last year.

Taking away his PP numbers, at ES last year his numbers were 41-1-9-10 -14 43% faceoffs 43% Corsi. From 2nd line minutes. That is just an abomination.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Taking away his PP numbers, at ES last year his numbers were 41-1-9-10 -14 43% faceoffs 43% Corsi. From 2nd line minutes. That is just an abomination.
Come to think of it, I'd be interested to see how Vey's numbers this year compare to another guy who got boatloads of undeserved ice time, including PP shifts, Byron Ritchie.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Come to think of it, I'd be interested to see how Vey's numbers this year compare to another guy who got boatloads of undeserved ice time, including PP shifts, Byron Ritchie.

FWIW, Ritchie was 18th on that team in PP time per game. He shouldn't have been on a PP at all, but IIRC, that team had a bunch of injury problems. It's not like he was a regular.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
FWIW, Ritchie was 18th on that team in PP time per game. He shouldn't have been on a PP at all, but IIRC, that team had a bunch of injury problems. It's not like he was a regular.
That's fair. I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about Byron Ritchie manning the point on AV's power play.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's fair. I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about Byron Ritchie manning the point on AV's power play.

That happened for 3 or 4 games when almost our entire defense was injured (I think Steve McCarthy was playing #1 minutes at the time).

It's taken on a life of it's own and 8 years later people act like he was on our #1 PP unit for half the season or something like that.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Can we just turn the page on this player now, please? No interest in having him in the organization.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That happened for 3 or 4 games when almost our entire defense was injured (I think Steve McCarthy was playing #1 minutes at the time).
heh nothing like "paging Nolan Baumgartner.....paging Nolan Baumgartner....please get possibly ready for an appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals....".

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
No, he didn't. At all.

He had a good stretch of 6 or 8 games at one point shortly after being called up. Other than that, he was absolutely horrible.

Produced 4th line offensive numbers at ES from 2nd line minutes while being crap defensively, a crap possession player, one of the worst faceoff centers in the NHL, and providing no intangibles whatsoever. He was, quite simply, one of the very worst players to play more than 40 games in the NHL last year.

In Utica Vey was the FIRST line center and played 26 games before being recalled. He collected 3 goals and 12 assists for 15 pts. 2 of those goals and 10 of the assists came on the PP where he could handle the puck without fear of being hit and just feed Shinkaruk (5 goals) or the point (Fedun 3 and Subban 1). Thus, 12 points on the PP and 1 goal and 2 assists for a mammoth 3 points at ES in 26 games.

His defensive play was poor. He was so poor on the face off that another player often took the PP face off (Grenier, Gaunce, or Zalewski) and Hamilton often took the defensive zone face off and came off when the team had possession. As to Vey's possession? It ended as soon as he was challenged because he threw it hopefully in the direction of any Comet in order to avoid the hit. That meant it was often passed to an opponent. His board play was limited to poking at the puck from a stick's distance.

This sounds like an echo of your post. I'd be disappointed with his assignment to Utica. There are many better AHL centers available. He'd take away one of the center spots and then get recalled and the Comets would be back to PTO hunting for a replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad