Linden "Playoff Performer?" Vey - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckage

Mar 12, 2014
And now McMillan is getting the spot before him... I didn't think Vey would ever rank behind LM in the rotation, but here we are... Puzzling.

What's puzzling? Vey ranks behind Richardson at centre. McMillan brings more of a physical presence on the wing, something the team needs.

I'm not a big Vey fan, but I didn't think he looked horrible in his one playoff game. In this series he isn't going to be effective on the wings. So unless there is an opening at centre, he sits.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
As a supporter of Vey's I underestand why WD would want to add McMillan into the lineup for a little more grit and size. Nothing against Vey, in that regard, but a little more muscle injected into the lineup, could help the team. Nothing to get disjointed about imo.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
What's puzzling? Vey ranks behind Richardson at centre. McMillan brings more of a physical presence on the wing, something the team needs.

I'm not a big Vey fan, but I didn't think he looked horrible in his one playoff game. In this series he isn't going to be effective on the wings. So unless there is an opening at centre, he sits.

It doesn't fit the narrative that was heavily used earlier in the season.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I'd rather him on the wing than play McMillan. LM is a spot filler, while Vey is 'supposed to be' a skilled young asset... What changed?

I actually agree, he looked bad when he played, but this should be a part of his development. He's got to play to get better. Otherwise, what was the point in getting him?

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I'd rather him on the wing than play McMillan. LM is a spot filler, while Vey is 'supposed to be' a skilled young asset... What changed?

I actually agree, he looked bad when he played, but this should be a part of his development. He's got to play to get better. Otherwise, what was the point in getting him?

So we can waive him next year. That's why.

#AstuteManagement101

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
And now McMillan is getting the spot before him... I didn't think Vey would ever rank behind LM in the rotation, but here we are... Puzzling.

I don't think i'd treat it as though McMillan has surpassed Vey on the depth chart...so much as he plays a different "role" that in some circumstances, WillieD seems to prefer.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
As a supporter of Vey's I underestand why WD would want to add McMillan into the lineup for a little more grit and size. Nothing against Vey, in that regard, but a little more muscle injected into the lineup, could help the team. Nothing to get disjointed about imo.

I thought McMillan looked pretty good in his last game.. He was persistent physical had a couple scoring opportunities.. I hope he brings the same game tonight

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't think i'd treat it as though McMillan has surpassed Vey on the depth chart...so much as he plays a different "role" that in some circumstances, WillieD seems to prefer.

"Role" shouldn't take precedence over 'quality'. Either Vey is the better player, or he isn't. If he is, he should play. If he's not, well then I guess role became the determining factor between two evenly matched players.

My point is that it shouldn't be that close. Vey should be in. Otherwise, some questions need to be asked.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
"Role" shouldn't take precedence over 'quality'. Either Vey is the better player, or he isn't. If he is, he should play. If he's not, well then I guess role became the determining factor between two evenly matched players.

My point is that it shouldn't be that close. Vey should be in. Otherwise, some questions need to be asked.

Maybe it should take precedence, but this whole front office and coaching staff have talked extensively about roles when making roster and lineup decisions. And we are talking relatively similar level players, in that they're both sort of fringe guys right now.

Ain't nobody wanna see McMillan in the lineup...but it happens sometimes, because "roles". :dunno:

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
role or not, the fact is that this guy can't get into the lineup in an elimination playoff game over a waiver wire pickup from the worst team in the western conference

if vey demonstrated any value this season, this decision wouldn't have been even close...i meanif his junior coach won't pick him as a selection in this game then nobody would

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
remember this article?

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=728074

"While Vey isn’t imposing in either height or weight, he is a very ‘heavy’ player. Former Minnesota Wild winger Andrew Brunette is a great example of a player who played a ‘heavy’ game and was very hard to knock off the puck. "

I couldn't think a of a worse comparison for this guy. :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
remember this article?

"While Vey isn’t imposing in either height or weight, he is a very ‘heavy’ player. Former Minnesota Wild winger Andrew Brunette is a great example of a player who played a ‘heavy’ game and was very hard to knock off the puck. "

This is a hilarious article from the spinmeisters on the 'Nucks site..a heavy player?...guy has been a gnat for most of the year.......just goes to show you that players with gaudy stats in the WHL and the AHL can really fool their coaches and a few GM's into thinking it will translate at the NHL level:laugh:

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
remember this article?

Jeff Angus spun that article so hard he could win a Beyblade tournament with it

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Jeff Angus spun that article so hard he could win a Beyblade tournament with it

"He's ready to play in the NHL now," Benning said. "He'll start out as a third-line guy. I think once he's up and going, maybe it takes a year, maybe it takes a year and a half but I think he's got the skill to be a second-line centre at some point."

Linden Vey - your 2015-16 2C everybody.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If Vey gets much more than his QO, I'll be pretty upset. I have no qualms qualifying him and letting him come to camp to compete after working on his weak areas in the off-season. But if he gets a multi-year deal at a stupid cap hit, I'm going to rage.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dime-a-dozen AHL scorer that can't cut it as a 2nd line NHL player.

At $600k as a 13th forward, whatever. But he's junk that shouldn't merit good money being thrown after bad. Failed transaction.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
"He's ready to play in the NHL now," Benning said. "He'll start out as a third-line guy. I think once he's up and going, maybe it takes a year, maybe it takes a year and a half but I think he's got the skill to be a second-line centre at some point."

Linden Vey - your 2015-16 2C everybody.

I mean it looks bad now, but obviously Benning and the staff believed there was a chance that Vey could develop into a top-6 forward at some point (and technically he still could, though it looks extremely unlikely). But you don't trade the pick for Vey if you don't think he has the potential to become something like that.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I mean it looks bad now, but obviously Benning and the staff believed there was a chance that Vey could develop into a top-6 forward at some point (and technically he still could, though it looks extremely unlikely). But you don't trade the pick for Vey if you don't think he has the potential to become something like that.

I'd say it looks awful considering Benning scouted the hell out of the guy before making the deal and paid for it by reducing the teams D depth to the point it could only ice 1 reliable pairing.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If you put 'Schroeder' on the back on Vey's jersey i doubt most people could tell the difference

For me, the biggest thing with Vey as opposed to Schroeder...is that if Vey can manage to get physically stronger, there's still that faint glimmer of "growing room". A stronger Vey is a better Vey, and that isn't completely outside the realm of possibility. He may be a MayRay who is just destined to be knocked off of pucks for the rest of eternity. But he is still only 23/24 years old...conceivably he could still get a bit stronger. Any gains in that regard will help him immensely...and probably also have a collateral effect on his skating explosiveness which is his next biggest weakness.

Whereas with Schroeder...the guy was already jacked. There was no, "pump some iron in the offseason and come back better"...it was all about his intensity and level of engagement/assertiveness on the ice. That's generally a lot more difficult a set of habits to change than simply...getting pumped up.

Vey still has those brief flashes where you can see a player in there somewhere...he just gets completely dummied in physical battles and doesn't have the explosiveness in his skating to play effectively the way he seems to want to play (which is a lot more engaged than Schroeder ever was).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad