Sportsnet: Liljegren among potential available Leaf players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
? Alex Gudbranson's in the ECHL

Oh, I was talking about Erik Gudbranson. Since Alex Gudbranson isn't property of any NHL team, none have his rights so I don't think the Leafs can actually make a trade for him. The logistics of trading an NHL draft pick to an ECHL team also don't make much sense because the player could just sign with an NHL team if he gets offered a contract by one.

Reactions: Sparkzuk

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Liljegren has been doing fantastic. So well in fact that he was playing top pairing in the AHL as a teenager and was 1st on the Leafs call up depth charts. His injuries have derailed this season and Sandin has passed him, but only due to Sandin coming in an blow away all expectations.

If anything this is a case of "you need to give to get" and Lilly is what the Leafs management have decided to give.

What of the concerns about Liljegren's hockey IQ?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I find it hilarious that on HF the sentiment is always that it needs to be quality for quality in a trade (despite it rarely ever being true). Yet as soon as a player is rumoured to be available for quality, that available player is no longer considered quality.

Availability =/ disappointment

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
The list of Leafs players what they are willing to give up in trade is almost nonexistent, which is pretty laughable. If their sixth best forward (Kapanen) isn't available it tells it all. The only available players in Leafs are players with negative value (Zaitsev, Hainsey, Marleau) or some waiver claim stuff (Goat, Sparks, Lindholm) so good luck to trade that crap for top 4 D. Late first isn't that valuable of asset after all. Jets got Statsny for 19 games + playoffs for first and some C-level prospect.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think hell still be a solid dmen, but prob a top 4 guy at best.... doubt he becomes a #1... which is prob smart for the leafs to move him and try to get someone that can fill those shoes.

I think if they did Nylander + Liljergren + 1st for pietrangelo, that would be a pretty great move for both sides.

no

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Ive thought this for a while now. Sandin very quickly passed him on the depth chart.

Ive been kinda "meh" on Liljegren. Hes just not really impressed me much since his pre-draft year.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I think hell still be a solid dmen, but prob a top 4 guy at best.... doubt he becomes a #1... which is prob smart for the leafs to move him and try to get someone that can fill those shoes.

I think if they did Nylander + Liljergren + 1st for pietrangelo, that would be a pretty great move for both sides.
Why would the Leafs move all that for a guy who has 1.5 years left and by Blues fans account, hasn't been as good this year as in year's past?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Remember when Leafs fans repeatedly and adamantly said Liljegren would be one of the best players from the draft? Good times.

Just because a player is available doesnt mean they are now trash.... He still has potential, he has looked very good since being drafted and may end up the best D in that draft.

The list of Leafs players what they are willing to give up in trade is almost nonexistent, which is pretty laughable. If their sixth best forward (Kapanen) isn't available it tells it all. The only available players in Leafs are players with negative value (Zaitsev, Hainsey, Marleau) or some waiver claim stuff (Goat, Sparks, Lindholm) so good luck to trade that crap for top 4 D. Late first isn't that valuable of asset after all. Jets got Statsny for 19 games + playoffs for first and some C-level prospect.

Kapanen isnt available due to cap reasons, not because he is an untouchable part of this future. He provides well beyond his pay, and estimated pay into next year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Petro isn't a "top 4", he's a "rental #1". We're better off building for the long term
Yes but with who? I don't know that liljergren is a long term solution, and honestly nylander I don't think will be there very long(maybe remainder of this year) but I could see him being dealt at draft or next year at some point.

I tought petro had 1.5 years left on his contract? 2 playoff runs with petro is pretty good, and I feel like you guys can prob resign him for another 3-5 years after that, if things are working out.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
If I'm any team I'm asking Kapanen, Sandin or Johnsson for any deal for top 4 dman. All the other leafs prospect's mentioned havent shown me enough to guarantee they will be nhl regulars.

Reactions: AdamParrot

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Why would the Leafs move all that for a guy who has 1.5 years left and by Blues fans account, hasn't been as good this year as in year's past?
Cause hes really 1 of the few options available.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He isn't rental he have a year left after this.
he's a rental in the context of the Leafs' likely compete window built around this core, which is probably 8-15 years if we look at teams built similarly in the cap era (Chicago, LA, Wsh, Pits). Building to be a little lower peak for a longer time is what the Leafs should do

Yes but with who? I don't know that liljergren is a long term solution, and honestly nylander I don't think will be there very long(maybe remainder of this year) but I could see him being dealt at draft or next year at some point.

I tought petro had 1.5 years left on his contract? 2 playoff runs with petro is pretty good, and I feel like you guys can prob resign him for another 3-5 years after that, if things are working out.
I don't know why there's the sense that the Leafs need to go all in right now. Tampa is currently the best team that the NHL has seen in years and they're going to decline from here for cap reasons. Toronto gets a bit of a cap crunch next year but gets some relief after that with Marleau gone, and the best players on the team are going to be good for at least another 5-6 years. We can afford to wait and see

Petro does have another year after this, but he's not someone we could afford to keep after that - rental in the context of the Leafs compete window

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Cause hes really 1 of the few options available.
Okay, but no team is going to come close to that package let alone just 7 years of Nylander for 1.5 years of Pietrangelo. Why do people insist on a "leaf tax" where they grossly overpay in every deal.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
Just because a player is available doesnt mean they are now trash.... He still has potential, he has looked very good since being drafted and may end up the best D in that draft.
He's not going to be the best D in that draft, Liljegren has done nothing that would suggest that. TBH he has been rather underwhelming and has definitely gone down in value since the '17 draft. Liljegren alone gets you nothing that would get the Leafs closer to the cup or even say conference finals.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
He's not going to be the best D in that draft, Liljegren has done nothing that would suggest that. TBH he has been rather underwhelming and has definitely gone down in value since the '17 draft. Liljegren alone gets you nothing that would get the Leafs closer to the cup or even say conference finals.

His value has gone down? Playing the top pairing in the AHL as a teenager on the team that won the championship loses you value? He’s been very good.

Reactions: GermanLeaf

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Okay, but no team is going to come close to that package let alone just 7 years of Nylander for 1.5 years of Pietrangelo. Why do people insist on a "leaf tax" where they grossly overpay in every deal.
Nylander contract is going to be a burden on the leafs either way.

Oh ya tell us more about how the trade boards make bad trades toward the leafs. o_O

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Sandin has a higher floor but lower ceiling than him. He doesn't have the upside Liljegren does.

I don’t agree with this. Where is this upside with Liljegren everyone talks about. This upside was talked about three years ago but nothing he’s done since being drafted screams high upside. Sandin coming into the AHL and doing what he’s done shows much more upside than Liljegren.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad