Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
05.18.10worrell.jpg

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
Holland should try to coax Brent Glichrist out of retirement. Then see what Mark Mowers is up to these days. We could really use a serviceable 16th and 17th forward with NHL experience.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What's Jason Williams up to?

Playing in the NLA, guess he just couldn't hang in there long enough to wait for the Holland phone call.

Bring back Derek Meech.

The other guys at least stayed in the NHL, had Meech done that he could have gotten his second dance with the Wings I am sure.:shakehead

Waiving Kindl to bring in either Redden or Lilja might just convert me to the darkside when we talk about Holland.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I actually think Lilja isn't that bad. But I can't think of anyone I'd dump for him. Maybe Q. But apparently I'm one of the only guys that puts Kindl ahead of Q. Last year, the last 20 or so games I saw from the kid, I was not even slightly impressed with the fact that we gave up a first rounder for him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Every single time I hear this guys name, I think of this play.

Stinks for Lilja but it will always be what I think of. For people saying we have our worst defense in years certainly injuries played a factor but look at that d-core in 07 that got us to a conference finals. Lebda and Lilja playing together in overtime:shakehead

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Every single time I hear this guys name, I think of this play.

Stinks for Lilja but it will always be what I think of. For people saying we have our worst defense in years certainly injuries played a factor but look at that d-core in 07 that got us to a conference finals. Lebda and Lilja playing together in overtime:shakehead

What was that D-core?

Lidstrom-Schneider
Kronwall-Chelios
Markov-Lilja?

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
cavtrooper-70332-albums-misc-3673-picture-mother-god-super-troopers-26648.jpg

:cry: This one better not happen, will make my disappointing anything but Samuelsson going into the off-season not even the worst thing Holland did this year. I have never thought much of Lilja as a hockey player and that was before all the injuries.

That was the phrase I heard in my head when reading the news. Quite often in my life, Thorny accurately expresses my reactions to potential calamities.

What if Kenny signs Lilja just to make the Sammy signing not seem so bad/unnecessary by comparison? That'd be a next-level move right there.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I actually think Lilja isn't that bad. But I can't think of anyone I'd dump for him. Maybe Q. But apparently I'm one of the only guys that puts Kindl ahead of Q. Last year, the last 20 or so games I saw from the kid, I was not even slightly impressed with the fact that we gave up a first rounder for him.

I think Kindl could be better than Q, but he needs to get played and trusted to get there. Q had a rough adjustment period when the Wings as a team was going down the tubes and he picked up an injury immediately. Q isn't a terrible d-man he just needs to focus on his defensive side of things as he forces too many plays in my opinion. I think he will be better, but he could have used a decent pre-season buildup to get his confidence back in our system. But it is hard to pretend like Q came into the best situation at the time he gave us one of the best 1-6 going into the playoffs, but then almost immediately the wheels fell off on the team. He is hardly the only guy to blame for that and the unfortunate circumstances on how the Wings as a group finished.

The thing that really bothers me with Kindl is a couple years ago they rejected a Bogosian trade and made it known Kindl's inclusion was the reason not the picks. Well if you aren't going to use him then that was beyond stupid. It would have been better to live with some of the growing pains when the team was a little more dominant. We will see, they have a lot of talent on the backend if it comes together. The Wings belief that they are good and the way their leaders are hardworking superstars has the ability to get the team to play a little better than some of the doom and gloom that is projected in my opinion. This will be the biggest test of that, but I do expect some inspired hockey out of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall, and Howard.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
The thing that really bothers me with Kindl is a couple years ago they rejected a Bogosian trade and made it known Kindl's inclusion was the reason not the picks. Well if you aren't going to use him then that was beyond stupid.

Wow. I hadn't heard that before, and if it's true (and I have no reason to believe that you'd make that up), the failure to acquire Bogo b/c Holland didn't want to lose Kindl makes me more annoyed than signing Lilja now would. I think. Check back in if Kenny welcomes #3 back into the fold.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
What was that D-core?

Lidstrom-Schneider
Kronwall-Chelios
Markov-Lilja?
Kronwall got hurt just before the playoffs and Schneider broke his arm against San Jose in the second round. By the time they played the Ducks, this was their defense:

Lidstrom-Chelios
Kronwall-Quincey
Lilja-Lebda

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wow. I hadn't heard that before, and if it's true (and I have no reason to believe that you'd make that up), the failure to acquire Bogo b/c losing Kindl would hurt too much makes me more annoyed than signing Lilja now would. I think. Check back in if Kenny welcomes #3 back into the fold.

Bogo was really struggling at the time, but it was a big rumor and enough that really a bunch of the trusted Wings beat people put out there that Kindl was a sticking point. At the time I thought it was trying to pry out additional picks, but it was said to be Kindl. I was very high on Kindl, heck I still think he is a very useful hockey player that has good size and mobility. I am curious to see the strides he has made and don't want him dumped at this point especially considering they have passed up on good opportunities when he was younger to do it. It would be terrible asset management in my opinion and he would burn us in a way that is well beyond Quincey.

Funny thing when we talk about all these guys and get critical, whenever they decide who is getting waived, does anybody really think these guys won't be high waiver claim priorities? Even if you hate Emmerton's game as some do around here, there is almost no shot the guy isn't an NHL player for someone. All of our guys are sure fire claims.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kronwall got hurt just before the playoffs and Schneider broke his arm against San Jose in the second round. By the time they played the Ducks, this was their defense:

Lidstrom-Chelios
Kronwall-Quincey
Lilja-Lebda

Thank you ricelund that was kind of what I remembered. Markov must have been in though as he has 18 games played on his eliteprospects page that year.

I just remember it not being pretty, yes Lidstrom was still superhuman Lidstrom but it was rough and the mobility on Chelios and Lilja was very exploitable. They were forechecked hard and couldn't deal with it.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
What was that D-core?

Lidstrom-Schneider
Kronwall-Chelios
Markov-Lilja?

Lids, Cheli, Markov and Lilja played all 18 playoff games. I am pretty sure that year Lidstrom was paired up with Danny Markov. Lids averaged 30 mins per game so he was eating up a bunch of IT. Every other competent d-man was getting 20-23 mins. Quincey was added to the lineup when Schneider went down with an injury and averaged 8 mins a game. Lebda was often a healthy scratch but got into 12 playoff games, averaging 16 mins a game. That season we really only had 5 d-men plus Ledba and Quincey. :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad