Waived: Lilja

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I forgot to add the :sarcasm:

My sarcasm radar picked it up without the :sarcasm:, but you have to admit that there's a small part of your Red Wing fandom that could see this happening, with an explanation along the lines of "we really needed more experience on the blue line after losing Lidstrom" coming from KH. Not saying it's remotely likely, but with Kenny and his vets, there's always a chance.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Ah yeah, I forgot about Markov -- I liked him a lot while he was here. What was his deal? Why didn't he get another NHL contract?

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
ibzxd7fj4H8ktV.gif

:laugh:

That looks like the guy who was asked by God to give him a wish he could grant him.

The man said his wish: I want to live forever!

Then God said: No I can't grant you that request. Choose something different.

The man said: I want to live until the Maple Leafs win the Cup.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lids, Cheli, Markov and Lilja played all 18 playoff games. I am pretty sure that year Lidstrom was paired up with Danny Markov.

Yeah, there was speculation that Kronwall would have been back to the 2007 Finals, if we would have got past the Ducks.

When Schneider dropped (game 5 at 2nd round) after that we had this defence:

Lidström - Markov
Quincey - Chelios
Lebda - Lilja

With these guys we dropped San Jose winning the last 2 games and pushed Anaheim to 6-game series. No other team couldn't stand more than 5 games against the Ducks on that spring. They won all the other series against Minnesota, Vancouver and Ottawa by 4-1, but Red Wings pushed them to six even with that depleted defence. Kronwall and Schneider there, maybe a totally different story.

Then I was really impressed about rookie Quincey about his jump in and his steady stay-at-home play. I hope he goes back to that mold and forgots that he is not an offensive defenceman. In defensive only duties, focussing only for that, he could be a great guy.

Detroit Swed Wings

#FireHolland
Jan 17, 2013
Malmö
I've been lurking for quite some time now but finally decided to 'man up' for the lone reason to reply to this thread.

I'm one of those guys who kind of have the "let's wait with and see before we judge" style, but IF Lilja was signed again EVEN for "only" 1 year, I would really lose it. :shakehead

Did he even do a good job in Philly?

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
I've been lurking for quite some time now but finally decided to 'man up' for the lone reason to reply to this thread.

I'm one of those guys who kind of have the "let's wait with and see before we judge" style, but IF Lilja was signed again EVEN for "only" 1 year, I would really lose it. :shakehead

Did he even do a good job in Philly?

Flyers fan here. Lilja did as well as a #6/7 D can be expected. Played some decent games, played some awful games.

CloneHakanPlease*

Ah yeah, I forgot about Markov -- I liked him a lot while he was here. What was his deal? Why didn't he get another NHL contract?

Got more money in Russia and wanted to escape some less than virtuous people he met in Toronto

His Beardliness*

We are now exiting the "bash Ken Holland relentlessly for thinking he might pick up Andreas Lilja" phase and entering the "bash Ken Holland relentlessly for not picking up Andreas Lilja" phase.

Damn you Kenny, we need D!

So, Redden, then?

RedWingsNow*

We are now exiting the "bash Ken Holland relentlessly for thinking he might pick up Andreas Lilja" phase and entering the "bash Ken Holland relentlessly for not picking up Andreas Lilja" phase.

Damn you Kenny, we need D!

So, Redden, then?

What the Wings need is a legit, top pairing right-handed defenseman.

I think we need to be prepared to move one of Kindl or Quincey + Flip and maybe a draft pick or prospect to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad